ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RavenRidge APUs - How to set VRAM for Ryzen 2200G
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RavenRidge APUs - How to set VRAM for Ryzen 2200G

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RavenRidge APUs - How to set VRAM for Ryzen 2200G
    Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 4:41am
Hi there,

build my new Ryzen system with an Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac today. Update its bios to the newest version (2.4). Works just fine, but i just can't find the option to adjust how much of the System RAM is reserved as VRAM. the default setting of 1GB is just not enough for most modern games.

the advanced settings in the bios are mighty confusing.

I'd greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Daniel
Dibdidu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dibdidu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 6:23am
Hey ho,
no need for that.
Open taskmanager/performance/GPU.
There is the point shared memory.
In my case it uses 7,5GB automatically. It depends on usage and installed RAM i think.
Dazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 4:30pm
Hi there,

well the "shared Memory" is a cash pool in RAM which moves data from VRAM to RAM and vice verca in case it is not needed to store data to the HDD. this happens with a huge latency. this means games/apps will just use the default 1GB share of your RAM as VRAM.

the dedicated RAM figure is what you want larger than 1GB so that games can actually use that.

newertheless i can't change any of this figures to my liking, so that does not really help. thanks anyway.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 5:05pm
North bridge Configuration - Share Memory. It should be under the advanced tab. As far as I am aware you can share up to 2gb to the iGPU.
aguslestari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aguslestari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 9:13pm
There is no Option after BIOS 4.40

kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 5:38am

Basically in your BIOS look for UMA Size, the BIOS will default to 1GB Frame buffer. For best performance, this should be set to 2GB from the BIOS. 

1. MSI BIOS: go to Settings / Advanced / Integrated Graphics Config and set "Integrated Graphics" to "Force" and "UMA Frame Buffer Size" to 2GB
  2. Gigabyte BIOS: Go to Chipset and set "Integrated Graphics" to "Forced UMA Mode" to "UMA Specified" and "UMA Frame buffer size" to 2GB.

if u dont see something similar on your asrock, then wait for bios update

Edited by kerberos_20 - 17 Feb 2018 at 5:41am
Devotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 5:43am
So I am having a similar problem. I don?™t want to use onboard graphics as I have a 1070ti but it doesn?™t let me change it to where I can have full access to my ram. I have 32gb ram and it says I have 30.93 available. I know that isn?™t much but I don?™t use the onboard graphics. I have graphics set to ext graphics peg. But it doesn?™t give me back my ram. Usually with other boards it does.
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Devotech Devotech wrote:

So I am having a similar problem. I don?�t want to use onboard graphics as I have a 1070ti but it doesn?�t let me change it to where I can have full access to my ram. I have 32gb ram and it says I have 30.93 available. I know that isn?�t much but I don?�t use the onboard graphics. I have graphics set to ext graphics peg. But it doesn?�t give me back my ram. Usually with other boards it does.

Have you tried forcing, temporarily, the iGPU then setting the dedicated RAM to the smallest amount (32 MB, I think), and then switching back to your discrete GPU. I haven't tried this myself but I think it ought to work.
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 ITX P4.90, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, 250GB Samsung 960EVO, 500GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Blue, Windows 10 Pro 64, Corsair SF450, Cooler Master Elite 110
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by kerberos_20 kerberos_20 wrote:

Basically in your BIOS look for UMA Size, the BIOS will default to 1GB Frame buffer. For best performance, this should be set to 2GB from the BIOS.

I don't think that is necessarily true and it depends on the application. Here's a copy/paste of information I've given to people in other threads. In recent BIOS updates the 2 GB limit has been lifted.

I don't have the same motherboard as you but, assuming the different BIOSes are laid out in a similar way, try this:

Advanced\
  AMD CBS\
    NBIO Common Options\
      GFX Config
        IGC : Forces
        UMA Mode : UMA_Spec
        UMA Frame Buffer : 512 MB

Once you've navigated through the complex page structure of the Advanced menu change IGC to "Forces" (sic. maybe it should read "Forced"). Once you have done that The UMA Mode item appears. Once you have changed that to "UMA_Spec" the UMA Frame Buffer item appears. You can change that to whatever you want but consider this, 2GB is the maximum you can allocate to the iGPU. Auto means that the amount dedicated to the iGPU depends on how much system RAM you have installed and is set at system start up. On my board 16 GB of RAM results in 1 GB being reserved when set to Auto. I understand that 32 GB would result in 2 GB being reserved and 8 GB would result in 512 MB being reserved (so 1/16 of the available RAM, which seems like a reasonable default). However, once RAM is reserved for the iGPU it is not available to Windows so you may not want to allocate the maximum 2 GB, especially since Windows can always dynamically allocate more to the iGPU anyway. Because the iGPU has no special VRAM of its own there is no speed difference between dedicated iGPU memory and dynamically allocated system memory and therefore little to be gained by dedicating a big chunk of the system memory to it unless a specific application (such as a particular game) checks how much GPU memory is present. YouTuber "Hardware Unboxed" did an in depth test of this if you're interested. So please don't simply set the amount to maximum without giving it some thought.

ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 ITX P4.90, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, 250GB Samsung 960EVO, 500GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Blue, Windows 10 Pro 64, Corsair SF450, Cooler Master Elite 110
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:06pm
The only time you would want to set the GPU shared vRAM to 2gb or higher is if you have limited (6gb or less) RAM and want to ensure the GPU is always fed. The reason I say this is because of how games handle vRAM, if you run out of vRAM the game will swap to system RAM, if that runs out it will swap to the hard disk. 

What this means is that it makes no difference if you select the lowest shared RAM size or the highest as the system RAM and shared vRAM run at exactly the same speed. When your games run out of vRAM they will swap to RAM which is the same anyway. The only time this could be an issue is if the game hard detects the amount of vRAM available and won't let you play or grays out quality settings. This is rare these days.

Personally, I would set the vRAM buffer to 1gb and enjoy your system, you will not see a performance increase with more shared RAM.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic