ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build - Z270 Pro4 - no output

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calculor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build - Z270 Pro4 - no output
    Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 11:01am
Hello!
This is my very first  build and unfortunately something's not working, and I don't know how to continue troubleshooting. When I power on the rig, the power light, case fans, and CPU fan all turn on, but I get no video output out of either the onboard HDMI or the graphics card. The monitor just says "No signal" when I try both HDMI and Display Port. I used a laptop to verify that the monitor does work.

Here are the parts:
Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel Z270
CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K LGA 1151
CPU fan: CRYORIG H7 Tower Cooler
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-550FX 550W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm
1x RAM: G.SKILL Aegis 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Platform Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3000C16S-8GISB
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 
Case:  Corsair Carbide Series 270R CC-9011105-WW
1x HDD
1x SSD

Here are some things that I have tried:
I plugged and replugged all power cables from PSU to components and verified everything is fully plugged in
I verified that both 24-pin MoBo and 8-pin CPU power cables are plugged in
I verified that the CPU power cable from PSU says "CPU" and not "PCI"
I cleared CMOS by setting the jumper and removing the battery and waiting (and then resetting the jumper)
I verified the RAM chip is fully seated
I tried the RAM chip in both B1 and B2 slots
I verified that the CPU is installed correctly in the socket
I unplugged the graphics card and the hard drives, leaving just MoBo, CPU, RAM, and fans plugged in
I also tried to use a voltmeter to test the PSU, but I couldn't get the leads to make a connection, so I couldn't get a measurement

I also noticed that the CPU fan isn't steady. It goes whirrrrRRRrrrrRRRrrrrRRRrrrrRRRrrrr. I'm not sure if that's because it can modulate its speed or if it indicates that its power source is unsteady.

I'm not sure how to continue troubleshooting. What should I try next? Is it possible the MoBo or PSU are bad? This is my first build ever, so I don't have any spare parts to test with. I'm a total n00b, so it's possible that I'm missing something obvious.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
calculor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calculor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 6:47am
Solved the problem!

Turns out with a single stick of RAM, it doesn't work if it's in slot B1 or B2. The CPU heat sink sticks out over slot A1 and makes it hard to get to slot A2. When I took everything out of the case, I was able to try slot A2 and it worked!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic