ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - System crashing on Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

System crashing on Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fauxpaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 5:00am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Thanks for the info, that PSU should be fine :)

Are you using the wifi on your board to connect to the internet/network?

You can try downgrading your BIOS to version 3.40, that was the last BIOS that was specifically tuned for Ryzen 1xxx CPUs. The newer ones are to support Ryzen 2xxx CPUs and seem to cause issues for some people using Ryzen 1xxx CPUs. It appears to mostly effect boards with wireless integrated so you definitely fit the bill. I am sure there will be a new BIOS update soon that will be better tuned for both generations but for now, stay away from 4.xx.

Make sure you download the instant flash version from your product page, extract it onto a FAT32 formatted flash drive then use the instant flash option in your UEFI. This is the safest flashing method.

BIOS 3.40 is the one you want. 

Let us know how that goes for you. 

Thanks.  I'll give that a try...

I'm plugged in via ethernet and have all the wireless components disabled, actually.  Don't know if that makes a difference.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:08am
It doesn't, it has to do with the wireless adapter itself, enabled or disabled it still seemed to cause issues with Raven Ridge CPUs (R3 2200g and R5 2400g), the fix then caused issues with older CPUs.....

This seems to be a fairly common issue with wifi enabled boards.

Good luck with the back flash. I just got done doing my dailies on WoW myself, I know where you are coming from, having your PC let both you and your guildies down sucks Cry
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:38am
Well here's the thing, today I tested my 2400G with X370 ITX/ac (rest of the config in my sig) with a very old, like over 14 years Pentium 4 power supply, a chinese no name 350W PSU. It will not crash even with the iGPU and CPU stressed with IBT and for the GPU furmark, HWInfo says about 130-140W CPU+SoC power draw, the CPU has only 4pin CPU power, I then switched on the Wi-Fi (it seems many people have problem with Wi-Fi again no problems for the last 2 hours or so, but Wi-FI was working for me from the get go. I went from UEFI 2.10 to 3.xx then 4.xx when I bought the 2400G to replace the A10 9700 I had previously, Wi-Fi worked from the moment I bought the board to this day with no problems or lock-ups.
But the throttling is there when both CPU and GPU stressed but no crashes. (these will be fixed with new AGESA code)
If you already RMA'ed the board and got a new one, then the motherboard is not the problem, I ruled out the PSU for you with my testing, the CPU cannot be defective (chances are very slim).
So what remains is the Dedicated GPU/RAM and the SSD and hard drives you are using.
May I suggest unplugging all secondary drives from the system and leaving just one (if possible use a clean hard drive for this testing and not an SSD), make Windows 10 x64 USB with Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft, be sure after install to patch and update Windows, its critical you update Windows with all the available updates, Raven Ridge/Pinnacle Ridge need the latest Windows updates to function correctly. When Windows April Update will be released it will include all updates for Raven and Pinnacle Ridge but until then make sure to update. Also note AM4 does not support any OS older than Windows 8, and when using Raven Ridge/Pinnacle Ridge only Windows 10 x64 is officially supported, if you use Linux/Windows 8 or 8.1 you might have problems, also note that Windows 7 is not supported at all.
If you still have freezes or hard-locks, please remove video card and leave only the iGPU and test again and report back here.
If after doing all I said above you still have lock-ups/freezes the problem is your memory.
My Corsair LPX works without any addition config, it boots straight away @ its default 2400 and I can overclock it up to 3333MHz. With the same memory my Bristol Ridge A10 would not boot past 2133MHz, but Ryzen seems to like Hynix memory

Cheers

Edited by cristy6100 - 26 Apr 2018 at 6:47am
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
fauxpaus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fauxpaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 7:07am
Originally posted by cristy6100 cristy6100 wrote:

Well here's the thing, today I tested my 2400G with X370 ITX/ac (rest of the config in my sig) with a very old, like over 14 years Pentium 4 power supply, a chinese no name 350W PSU. It will not crash even with the iGPU and CPU stressed with IBT and for the GPU furmark, HWInfo says about 130-140W CPU+SoC power draw, the CPU has only 4pin CPU power, I then switched on the Wi-Fi (it seems many people have problem with Wi-Fi again no problems for the last 2 hours or so, but Wi-FI was working from the get go, and I went from UEFI 2.10 to 3.xx then 4.xx when I bought the 2400G, the throttling is there when both CPU and GPU stressed but no crashes.
If you already RMA'ed the board and got a new one, then the motherboard is not the problem, I ruled out the PSU for you with my testing, the CPU cannot be defective (chances are very slim).
So what remains is the Dedicated GPU/RAM and the SSD and hard drives you are using.
May I suggest unplugging all secondary drives from the system and leaving just one (if possible use a clean hard drive for this testing and not an SSD), make Windows 10 x64 USB with Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft, be sure after install to patch and update Windows, its critical you update Windows with all the available updates, Raven Ridge/Pinnacle Ridge need the latest Windows updates to function correctly. When Windows April Update will be released it will include all updates for Raven and Pinnacle Ridge but until then make sure to update. Also note AM4 does not support any OS older than Windows 8, and when using Raven Ridge/Pinnacle Ridge only Windows 10 x64 is officially supported, if you use Linux/Windows 8 or 8.1 you might have problems, also note that Windows 7 is not supported at all.
If you still have freezes or hard-locks, please remove video card and leave only the iGPU and test again and report back here.

Cheers

Hi,

I'm actually a bit confused about your reply. 

I built the entire thing from scratch in Dec.  Since then I have replaced
- power supply 2x (Jan and 2 weeks ago)
- CPU (last week)
- GPU (2 weeks ago)
- motherboard (yesterday)
- HD:  The story is as follows - 

The original was not an SSD - just a standard- and until I got the SSD I had no secondary drives.  So, the original had Win 10 installed from the beginning.  My out of the box original install was Win 10, kept updated, etc.  

Over the course of the past months I performed multiple wipes of the HD, following the directions as you stated (I did make a win 10 x 64 usb via windows media creation tool from microsoft, installed all patches and updates available).  There is 0 chance that Win 10 was not updated/is not updated, and I'm not using any of the other versions of Windows stated in your post.

It was hypothesized that, although unlikely, based on ONLY crashing while playing WoW and not any other games/stress testing/minding my own business, the problem could be "the hard drive", and some magical read/write issue, or a faulty section of the HD.  Based on this, I was eventually convinced to get an SSD (1 week ago).  I performed an install of Win 10 on that SSD via the same method (Win 10 x 64 USB with Windows Media Creation Tool, patched and updated).  At that time, I did NOT have a secondary drive plugged in at all.  I had the same hard shut downs anyway.  I actually just plugged in the old HD yesterday.

Regarding the RAM:  I've tested the ram pretty extensively, with no problems.  I've run the super long version of the windows memory diagnostic (the multi hour option).  I've tried using each stick independently, both in each slot for a total of 4 combinations.

You said GPU/RAM/SSD/HD, but I believe that I've ruled those out given the steps I've taken?   
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 3:05pm
@Cristy: She is using an R5 1600 not a Raven Ridge CPU so there is no iGPU to test with ;)

@Fauxpaus: Cristy was under the impression that you were using an R5 2400g/R3 2200g, probably because I mentioned them. The BIOS backflash to 3.40 is where I think you will find success. Numerous people have reported issues with 4.xx when using Ryzen first gen CPUs, interestingly, much like yourself, only with particular games. Battlefield 1 is a common one. The one thing I noticed was that they all appear to happen during online play. 

I have been digging into your issue Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 3:28pm
Oh, yes I was under the impression you were using a Ryzen 2200G, and I read the three pages :), somewhere along the way I got confused.Wacko
Well with a Ryzen 1600 you should have no issues whatsover.
Well then we can rule out the MB/PSU/HDD-SSD/CPU you already said you checked for shorts, so the only thing remaining is the RAM, to you have the posibility to test with a Corsair LPX kit preferably under 2666MHz?; or any DDR4 kit under 2666MHz (high speed memory kits come with different dies than low speed ones)

Edited by cristy6100 - 26 Apr 2018 at 3:31pm
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 6:23pm
Been following this, sadly with nothing to suggest. But I did notice this in a recent post from Fauxpas, which at the least needs clarification because it is a bit ambiguous.not intentionally I am sure!
The bit that caught my eye was  " So, the original had Win 10 installed from the beginning.  My out of the box original install was Win 10, kept updated, etc.  "
Now this could refer to a recent 1709  ISO from MS, in which case false alarm, but it could refer to an older version such as a boxed CD version 1703 but with all updates to present.
If the latter then I suggest that therein lay at least some of the problems.
The only other thing of course is the usual , make sure it has the latest chipset and radeon drivers, installed in the right order.
One more item: I have found that the various powerplans can have a effect, I now choose performance and it seems to cure many annoying  issues.
Then again, I am on a different build, so may not apply universally.

ASRock X370-ITX BIOS 4.50
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 2933
960Evo M.2 256GB, Firecuda 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
G-Unique Archdaemon 300 Watt
Lian-li Q21B
fauxpaus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fauxpaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 5:01am
Originally posted by stree stree wrote:

Been following this, sadly with nothing to suggest. But I did notice this in a recent post from Fauxpas, which at the least needs clarification because it is a bit ambiguous.not intentionally I am sure!
The bit that caught my eye was  " So, the original had Win 10 installed from the beginning.  My out of the box original install was Win 10, kept updated, etc.  "
Now this could refer to a recent 1709  ISO from MS, in which case false alarm, but it could refer to an older version such as a boxed CD version 1703 but with all updates to present.
If the latter then I suggest that therein lay at least some of the problems.
The only other thing of course is the usual , make sure it has the latest chipset and radeon drivers, installed in the right order.
One more item: I have found that the various powerplans can have a effect, I now choose performance and it seems to cure many annoying  issues.
Then again, I am on a different build, so may not apply universally.

Sorry for any confusion.  I will clarify (hopefully).

On my prior PC (super old) I had Windows 10.  I made a Win 10 USB install via Win Media Creation Tool.

Cut to scene two, early Dec after Black Friday sales, all new parts arrive for all new PC!   Included in this pile of parts is a 100% blank, new, 1TB WD HD.  Upon putting all my new components together for my all new PC, I proceeded to install windows on that shiny, new, completely blank HD.  I used the USB, then did all updates etc.  

That HD was subsequently wiped multiple times, and Windows 10 was again reinstalled via USB (from a new USB actually, but still using same procedure w/Windows Media Creation Tool) and updated appropriately.  Shut downs continue.

Then came the SSD - new from the store - plugged in by itself, Win 10 installed from yet ANOTHER  new USB (using the same Windows Media Creation Tool).

I have never had a boxed CD version of Windows.

Regarding the power:  When I first put together everything on the new computer, I was using the default power plan.  Upon my first few shut downs, I changed to the "performance" power plan.  After more shut downs, I downloaded the AMD chipset drivers for the "AMD balanced power plan", which is what I have it set to currently.  There have been no changes in the frequency of my shut downs with any of those power plans.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 4:41pm
Did I mention that unstable AC current to the house can cause shutdowns and hard-locks? The PSU will reset itself sometimes when the PC is on if to low/high voltage is coming on the AC line and that will cause a hard lock of the PC, other times it will just shutdown without no warning.
Can you maybe test the voltage of your AC line? Have there been problems with AC delivery in our area? AC is usually delivered in US at constant 50Hz (or very close to 50Hz) in Europe 50Hz and 60Hz but not all PSU are rated to go at 50Hz some are just 60Hz, and plugging them in a 50Hz outlet will cause them to heat up much more, fail or behave oddly. Again this is just an ideea but I have seen things like this happen, I have seen my AC go to sub 40Hz an cause my PSU to heat like sh*t and behave very odd. 
I still think its your RAM memory but its worth checking if you have stable power in your house

Also DO NOT tamper/check AC lines by yourself, I can tell you by experience that you wont like a "sting" from 230V or even 110V for that matter, if you have a friend who is electrician you can request his help, for messuring the AC frequency you will need a advanced multimeter or an osciloscope anyway.
First check with other memory modules, if nothing else works, move your PC in a grounded outlet in another part of the house. Also I can suggest removing the LAN cable when doing this testing. Lan cables when connected to faulty/ground looped equipment can cause the PC to lock also because of the motherboard short/ESD protection kicking in.

Cheers

Edited by cristy6100 - 27 Apr 2018 at 4:47pm
fauxpaus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fauxpaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 5:57am
Originally posted by cristy6100 cristy6100 wrote:

Did I mention that unstable AC current to the house can cause shutdowns and hard-locks? The PSU will reset itself sometimes when the PC is on if to low/high voltage is coming on the AC line and that will cause a hard lock of the PC, other times it will just shutdown without no warning.
Can you maybe test the voltage of your AC line? Have there been problems with AC delivery in our area? AC is usually delivered in US at constant 50Hz (or very close to 50Hz) in Europe 50Hz and 60Hz but not all PSU are rated to go at 50Hz some are just 60Hz, and plugging them in a 50Hz outlet will cause them to heat up much more, fail or behave oddly. Again this is just an ideea but I have seen things like this happen, I have seen my AC go to sub 40Hz an cause my PSU to heat like sh*t and behave very odd. 
I still think its your RAM memory but its worth checking if you have stable power in your house

Also DO NOT tamper/check AC lines by yourself, I can tell you by experience that you wont like a "sting" from 230V or even 110V for that matter, if you have a friend who is electrician you can request his help, for messuring the AC frequency you will need a advanced multimeter or an osciloscope anyway.
First check with other memory modules, if nothing else works, move your PC in a grounded outlet in another part of the house. Also I can suggest removing the LAN cable when doing this testing. Lan cables when connected to faulty/ground looped equipment can cause the PC to lock also because of the motherboard short/ESD protection kicking in.

Cheers

So - I don't think there is an unstable current to the house.  I can play other games and do other things without any issue (and other parties in my household use computers with  fairly high power usage and have run them from the outlets I've used without any problems).  In the last hour I've been logged into other games and played them successfully.  Right now I have another game on my second monitor.  Then I log into WoW and hard shut down, instantly.  I can't believe that my AC current is suddenly failing only during the few seconds  that I decide to log into WoW.  Right now I can't log in AT ALL, I'm not even getting 30 minutes of play time before a crash.  Since Tuesday, I log in and shut down in <10 seconds.  

This morning, I got new ram that was on the QVL for the motherboard - put it in - shut down in <10 seconds.

After that I took everything out of the case and put it into another case.  I used different cables.  I logged in and shut down in < 10 seconds.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic