ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boot problems with ASRock Z87 Extreme4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sashamur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boot problems with ASRock Z87 Extreme4
    Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 4:31pm
My computer has an AeroCool KCAS-700W PSU, the ASRock Z87 Extreme4 motherboard, Intel i7 4770k processor and 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance memory sticks. It has been working fine for at least a few months since the last hardware change.

Usually my computer runs 24/7, so the problem could have gone unnoticed for a while. During the last few reboots I started noticing that it takes some time to start booting. Fans start spinning, but the screen is black and nothing happens. After some time it starts booting from there without my interference. After it does boot, the computer works fine.

Today I had to reboot my computer a couple of times and realized that this is a big problem. Sometimes it sits at the black screen for a few minutes or more.

I started investigating the problem and here are some facts:
During the "black screen" stage the indicator on the motherboard switches between codes 4F and 15. I couldn't find definitive explanations as to what this means.
If I remove either of the two memory sticks, it doesn't just sit at the black screen, it restarts every 5 seconds or so. During this process the indicator switches between 4F code and some other (don't want to shut down the computer now to check). Tried changing slots too.
If I remove both memory sticks, I get the 53 code, which I found to mean that there was no RAM memory found (as expected).
Tried removing the video card, hard drives, everything plugged into the computer (usb, headphones, etc.). Still getting the same behavior.
I tried removing the motherboard battery for a few minutes, didn't help.
Tried cleaning contacts on the battery, on the RAM sticks, etc. Didn't help.

I am sure I didn't have this problem a couple of weeks ago, bootup always used to be very quick. And there were no hardware changes since then.

Right now the only thing I can do is minimize system reboots, but it doesn't seem like a good permanent solution. Please suggest what I can do.

Thanks!
sashamur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sashamur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 7:56pm
Still keeping my computer on without reboots Cry

Any suggestions?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 11:08pm
I would try a full CMOS clear as described here

Both codes 4f and 15 are pertaining to CPU or Memory faults. Have you tried reseating the CPU?
palebluedot89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palebluedot89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 9:34am
Any progress solving this problem? I'm having pretty much exactly the same issue except that it isn't booting up anymore.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by palebluedot89 palebluedot89 wrote:

Any progress solving this problem? I'm having pretty much exactly the same issue except that it isn't booting up anymore.

Same board as the OP? A one line post like that tells doesn't tell us much at all besides you have a problem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palebluedot89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:52am
Yes the same board. Error code is 4f and then switches to 15, and then 36 then back to 4f.

Sometimes the computer will boot up after a while. But increasingly it won't start at all. I've got an evga gtx 780, i7 4770 cpu, and 2 gskill sniper 8gb memory.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 10:00am
Those errors, 4f 15 36, are all relating to memory issues.

Grab HWiNFO64 and post screenies of all your voltages, not just memory. Seeing all the temps would be a bonus too. Use Windows own Snipping Tool to grab the pertinent. If you don't know a file hoster, imgsafe.org is free, fast, and best of all req's no registration.

What make and model is the PSU, and what is its age?

Is the computer clean and all parts inside free of dust/dirt?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palebluedot89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 10:58pm
Unfortunately I can't get the computer to start up. If I do I'll post voltage and temp screenshots. It has been taking longer and longer to boot, and now just won't boot up at all. Oddly, when it does boot up everything seems to run just fine. I can't stress enough how identical my problem is to the op (except for a brief flash of 36 on the dr. Debug).

My power supply is a corsair ax760 and I bought it new in early 2014 along with all of my other parts.

So far I've tried cleaning the inside of the case and clearing cmos.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 4:05am
Originally posted by palebluedot89 palebluedot89 wrote:

Unfortunately I can't get the computer to start up.

Curious. is, or was, it overclocked?

Borrow some memory from a friend to test.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palebluedot89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 4:22am
It was not overclocked at all. I'll try to find some memory to test and report back.

Actually, I tried to clear cmos by unplugging the computer, unplugging the video card and USB connections/fan power cables and removing the cmos battery/setting the clrcmos1 jumpers. I tried to put everything back and turn the computer back on but now nothing is happening at all when I press the power button. Hopefully I didn't break anything :(

I'm at work at the moment I'll report back when I get back home.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic