ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Gaming ITX/ac - XMP reset on power loss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waschkbaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350 Gaming ITX/ac - XMP reset on power loss
    Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 5:30am
Hey, I'm new here and already checked out some of the latest threads about the raven ridge APUs. But as far as I can see some of the problems I'm having are not addressed in any of the threads.

My setup consists of the AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac paired with a 2400G and a dual 8 GB Ripjaw 5 3200Mhz kit. 

I'm currently fighting multiple bugs on this Mainboard. Some of them are known, like the  BSODs occurring once using the WIFI chipset, or the problem that I can't figure out how to overclock the VEGA 11 using the settings under AMD CBS/XFR2.0/ADVANCED (which I currently overclock using RYZEN MASTER).

In addition to these, I have the problem that once I turn off my system and remove the power plug from the outlet, my RAM defaults back to 2133Mhz and also the allocated GPU Memory of 2GB resets to 1GB. 

Is there anyone around here with the same problems or some solutions? For me, it's not a big deal applying these settings again, but I build this system for a friend of mine with close to no knowledge of computer hardware. Explaining to her that she has to reapply multiple settings now and then is an absolute no go.
MikeBE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeBE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 5:35am
I might try replacing the backup battery that is on the motherboard. In theory, it should provide power to hold your  settings.

You can change a couple of settings, save and reboot. Then power down and pull the plug.

Wait a minute or two and then reconnect and power back up and get back into your UEFI settings and see if your settings are still in place.

After that, I'm out of ideas.

I just looked, and this motherboard might not have a backup battery. At least, I couldn't see one in the photo.

Edited by MikeBE - 06 Mar 2018 at 5:39am
-Mike Elek
http://photographytoday.net
waschkbaer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waschkbaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 5:48am
Hey, good idea but most of my settings are stored after pulling the plug. My CPU overclock, SOC voltage offsets, fan settings are still working and even the XMP settings are looking correct but I have to manually reapply them by deactivating XMP and activating XMP again and The GPU settings are completely gone. I also noticed that once I reconnect the power the PC restarts the boot process 3-4 times until I get a display output and access to the bios.

Edit:
It has a backup battery it's just taped to the ethernet port of the motherboard.

Edited by waschkbaer - 06 Mar 2018 at 5:50am
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 6:12am
Which BIOS? 4.43 is much better than 4.40. Have you tried completely clearing the CMOS with the link on the motherboard and starting from the beginning again. Something might have got corrupted.
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 ITX P4.90, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, 250GB Samsung 960EVO, 500GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Blue, Windows 10 Pro 64, Corsair SF450, Cooler Master Elite 110
Lupercal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupercal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:31am
I have this exact same issue with my Ab350 Gaming itx with a 2400g and 2 x 8GB G.Skill Flare 3200.

I hadn't realized it was also resetting iGPU RAM too, but im sure mine is doing that.

Everything else saves, and as long as it stays plugged in and the PSU is switched on, nothing at all changes.

Also, I'm on 4.43.

Edited by Lupercal - 06 Mar 2018 at 7:32am
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:09am
I usually leave mine powered but I'm happy to power it down and unplug from the wall to see what happens. How long should I leave it off - 10 minutes, an hour, longer?
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 ITX P4.90, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, 250GB Samsung 960EVO, 500GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Blue, Windows 10 Pro 64, Corsair SF450, Cooler Master Elite 110
Lupercal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupercal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:42am
Mine seems to be pretty much instant. If it gets disconnected from power at the wall, at all, XMP gets reset. And you know it's happened if it reboots during POST 3 times. I believe this is the "boot training" failing to set RAM to 3200mhz. Maybe we just need to set the RAM manually?
JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Lupercal Lupercal wrote:

Mine seems to be pretty much instant. If it gets disconnected from power at the wall, at all, XMP gets reset. And you know it's happened if it reboots during POST 3 times. I believe this is the "boot training" failing to set RAM to 3200mhz. Maybe we just need to set the RAM manually?

I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'll leave it unplugged for half an hour or so to give it a chance. Unplugging from the wall seems important - powered down but plugged in still produces standby volts.

Not sure I understand what you mean by setting the RAM manually. Anything above 2133 you have to select XMP Profile in the OC Tweaker page. Then from the drop down menu I always select the desired speed. My RAM is rated at 2666 but I can push it to 2933 in that menu to get the best out of my Raven Ridge APU without overclocking it. Do you leave yours set to Auto in that menu? I'm not a gamer so I have my iGPU frame buffer set to 128 MB and I'll see if that setting survives without power.
waschkbaer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waschkbaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 4:50pm
Somehow happy to see other people having the same issue. I could not find a solution to the problem right now. I tested the board with my 1700X, some Corsair Vengeance Memory and an older GPU. Here are my observations.

ASRock Board + 2400G + GSkill memory: after unplugging from the wall, 3x boot loop and memory back to 2133 Mhz (even though XMP seems to be activated, have to deactivate and activate it again.)

Asrock Board + 2400X + Corsair memory: XMP resets to default after unplugging and memory runs at 2133Mhz

ASRock Board + 1700X + GSkill/Corsair memory: after unplugging from the wall XMP is still working and memory is set to 3200Mhz

Afterward, I was curious to see how the 2400G behaves within my ASUS Prime B350 Motherboard. So I installed the 2400G with the GSkill memory and even after unplugging the cord the XMP profile was active and the memory running with the 3200Mhz.

As far as I can tell this problem only occurs on the ASRock board. I tried the 4.40 and the 4.43 bios and could not fix it over the last days. Guess I will RMA the board if I can't fix it.

aguslestari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aguslestari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:12pm
How about BIOS 4.50 Version ?

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%20AB350%20Gaming-ITXac/index.asp#BIOS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic