FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z370 Taichi m.2 confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z370 Taichi m.2 confusion
    Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:50am
On your board M2_1 and M2_2 both use dual SATA/PCIe lanes where M2_3 only uses one, according to the manual. I would put the fastest (960) on M2_1 and the Plextor on M2_2 as they are both PCIe, the 850 being SATA should go on M2_3. That will still leave SATA port 4 open if needed.
Only connect the 960 when installing the OS and you may have to disable CSM as someone mentioned in another thread here. Will search and add its link if I can find it...
mchad65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchad65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

With M.2 drives it is typically best to remove all other drives from the system before you install the OS then install with only the desired boot drive installed in the system. This should prevent the vast majority of issues you could face. As for settings, I can't help much there.

Thanks for that suggestion, I was planning on unplugging the sata drives, but I'll remove the m.2 drives as well. 

Still need help on the proper port (thought I think M2_3 is the right one) and the BIOS settings if anyone else can comment or point me to another thread.  Didn't have much luck on a search here and a google search returns way too much noise!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:52pm
With M.2 drives it is typically best to remove all other drives from the system before you install the OS then install with only the desired boot drive installed in the system. This should prevent the vast majority of issues you could face. As for settings, I can't help much there.
mchad65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchad65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:39pm
Just built up a new PC using an Asrock z370 Taichi and an i7 8700k. Have an old Plextor PCIe 500g SSD (an M.2 on a PCIe adapter card) and a Samsung 850 pro sata. Before researching the differences, I bought a 1 tb Samsung 860evo M.2 only to find out it was SATA only. Oh well, it was cheap. Ordered a 960evo to install OS and some high priority programs.

So my total drive list is:
Samsung 960evo m.2 NVMe 500g (for os and a few apps)
Samsung 860evo m.2 SATA 1tb (for storage)
Plextor PX-AG512M6e which I disassembled and pulled the M.2 out of the interface.
Samsung 850evo SATA 500g
Samsung SATA blu-ray burner.

So I know the x370 shares the SATA with the M.2 lanes, so am I correct in the following placement?

960evo in M2_3
860evo in M2_1
Plextor in M.2_2
850evo and blu-ray in the secondary sata ports (to avoid any conflict with the Intel controller lanes)

Also, what if anything is needed to install windows 10 on the NVMe M.2 drive? I've seen articles saying I have to change secure boot options, buy haven't found anything specific to this board.

Appreciate any help here. Would prefer not to have to install windows a few more times...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic