ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[RESOLVED] Secure Boot and Ultra Fast Fails

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akumajou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [RESOLVED] Secure Boot and Ultra Fast Fails
    Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 6:58am
Whenever I enable both Secure Boot and Ultra Fast Boot in UEFI, my system won't boot. There's no video signal and no disk activity. At this point, I have to use Clear CMOS Jumper to get it functioning again. Enabling either Secure Boot or Ultra Fast Boot works fine, but not both.

Yes, my GPU supports UEFI. Yes, my SSD is GPT.

How can I get those two UEFI settings working together?

AB350 Pro4 (UEFI version 4.70)
MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X

UPDATE: This problem was resolved by updating the VBIOS/UEFI on my video card to the latest version.

Edited by akumajou - 19 Apr 2018 at 4:38pm
akumajou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akumajou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 12:34am
Help?

Sigh... I hate having to get the "cheap" brand.
cristy6100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 1:00am
This is a know bug, maybe ASRock will fix it in the next bios updates, until then there is no fix, my AB350 ITX/ac and X370 ITX/ac behave the same

It may help to write them directly so they get more complaints https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

EDIT1: Read posts below, bug was not known, it should checked by others and the success or failure rate reported back,

Edited by cristy6100 - 03 Apr 2018 at 7:56am
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
akumajou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akumajou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 1:48am
Are you sure this problem is related to the bug that you're referencing? Even if Video OpROM isn't operating properly, shouldn't my video card (MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X) still work without it as this card supports UEFI, and that option is listed under CSM which is removed anyway once Ultra Fast Boot is enabled?

Side note: Contrary to what I said originally, the system does not work correctly when Ultra Fast Boot is enabled alone. It will boot immediately after saving and exiting the UEFI. Windows will load, but the no video signal/no disk activity symptoms will return after restarting/shutting down.

Edited by akumajou - 03 Apr 2018 at 2:03am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:32am
Indeed I dont know how I understood that you suffer from the same bug that I reported regarding the CSM module problem.
But now I read it right, so it does not post when Secure Boot is on, this bug is not related to the CSM bug and should be reported to ASRock support using the link in my post above.
I always enable Secure Boot and remember setting Ultra Fast Boot to On and it did not post, let me test again and report back

EDIT: With my Ryzen 2400G, loading UEFI Defaults then switching to Ultra Fast then Secure Boot to on after clearing and reloading the default (or personal) keys will indeed boot very fast in some cases and a little faster in others, its a hit or miss, the keyboard will not work to enter UEFI after this because no drivers for it are loaded but holding shift when pressing restart in Windows 10 will net you the troubleshooting screen, from there you can select to reboot to UEFI. No need to use other applications, Windows 10 can do it by itsself.
I could not make it to not post, I tried shutting down the system multiple times even removing power completely, and rebooting/resetting the PC.
Maybe I had a older bios when I tested the first time and it did not boot, I don't remember exacly, could you please test with latest bios version? (Edit: if using Summit Ridge/Bristol Ridge it is best to avoid latest bios releases for now, it could make things worse until the Pinnacle Ridge AGESA code branch matures).
My recomandation is to test if possible with another video card. if not possible to test with another video card, just Switch Ultra Fast Boot to off for the moment until there will be a couple of new bios releases

Edited by cristy6100 - 03 Apr 2018 at 8:41am
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler
akumajou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akumajou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 1:27pm
No, Secure Boot does work. Ultra Fast Boot does not, except for the initial boot that I mentioned in my previous post.

By the way, should Secure Boot be set to Custom or Standard? Also, I noticed Vendor Keys always says Modified. Is that normal?

I could do more troubleshooting, but having to use the Clear CMOS Jumper every time is a pain. Is there any way to force UEFI defaults without using that? I know the defaults are supposed to kick-in after a few failed boots, which it does when the boots fail for other reasons like overclocking, but it doesn't work in this situation. Strangely, when Ultra Fast Boot is enabled and the no video signal/no disk activity symptoms happen, holding down the power button to shut down isn't necessary. Just quickly pushing the power button shuts the PC down, which is I guess is related to why the UEFI defaults aren't being implemented. Even mashing the reset or power button won't bring back default settings and allow me to boot.

Ryzen 1600
AB350 Pro4 (latest version 4.70 UEFI)
GTX 1060 Gaming X
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:12pm
When you reset UEFI to defaults from jumper the Secure Boot keys will also be cleared, if you dont have custom keys that you load, which I presume you dont, all you need to do is Load Default Secure Boot Keys and then switch Secure Boot to enabled, when you do this Secure Boot will be set to Custom, Standard will not let you customize the Keys when no authentication is in pace for the UEFI setup. (long story short, unless you have specific corporate guidelines and requirements doing as as suggested above is enough to have Secure Boot :) )
As I mentioned above for me Ultra Fast Mode is working with no problems alongside Secure Boot, but I use the 2400G integrated graphics, could you by any chance test with any other PCIe graphics card? Preferably one with UEFI bios, so something in the GTX 7xx or newer range, or AMD R9 2xx range or newer. I know the GTX1060 has UEFI bios already but this particular model might not go along well with the motherboard regarding the Ultra Fast Boot function. If testing with another video card yields the same results we can rule out the graphics card so all that remain is the motherboard's UEFI that has a bug when paired with Summit Ridge and latest bios version

Edited by cristy6100 - 03 Apr 2018 at 7:16pm
akumajou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akumajou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:34pm
For the sake of simplicity and for a regular home/gaming PC, should Secure Boot be set to Standard or Custom? Do you know if it's normal for the Vendor Keys entry to always show Modified next to it in the Secure Boot section?

I don't have another video card. Secure Boot and Ultra Fast Boot worked fine for years with this card on my previous ASRock motherboard, the Z68 Extreme3 Gen3.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristy6100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:47pm
As i said above it should be set to custom, and yes platform keys should say modified, it will say not active if you disable or return secure boot to setup mode.
J_Doryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Doryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 12:18am
I have the same problem, but I can't reset the CMOS, is there a special reset? I used the jumper and long press power but nothing happens, I?™m stock with no video signal.
Please help. thx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic