ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Z170 Extreme4 UEFI freeze

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 12:01pm
Everybody, while I'm the last to update a BIOS if, IF, everything is working properly, it seems everyone here is using an outdated BIOS.

As Xaltar implied, updating the BIOS to the latest will most times take care of issues like this. Again Xaltar, teething issues that get worked out in later BIOS releases. ASRock isn't alone with these teething issues either. The Z170 chipset is new and can be expected to give random issues.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
Cosmin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:00am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Everybody, while I'm the last to update a BIOS if, IF, everything is working properly, it seems everyone here is using an outdated BIOS.

As Xaltar implied, updating the BIOS to the latest will most times take care of issues like this. Again Xaltar, teething issues that get worked out in later BIOS releases. ASRock isn't alone with these teething issues either. The Z170 chipset is new and can be expected to give random issues.

I don't know how you concluded that everyone is using an outdated BIOS.

My first post in this thread:
Originally posted by Cosmin Cosmin wrote:

I also have issues with BIOS freezing randomly. Z170 Extreme6, BIOS version 1.60 (latest)

Other people also said they are running the latest BIOS for their respective MB model. So that's not the issue.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 6:26am

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I don't know how you concluded that everyone is using an outdated BIOS.

My first post in this thread:

I also have issues with BIOS freezing randomly. Z170 Extreme6, BIOS version 1.60 (latest)

Other people also said they are running the latest BIOS for their respective MB model. So that's not the issue.

Wow dude. Chill, huh.

The thread title is Z170 Extreme4.

Call me stupid, but I see BIOS v2.10 available on the Z170 Extreme4 BIOS download page!

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

2.1010/19/2015Instant Flash7.63MB1.Support DDR4 OC
2.Improve DRAM module compatibility.
3.Improve M.2 compatibility.
4.Improve NVME compatibility

Edited by wardog - 16 Nov 2015 at 6:28am
Cosmin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 1:47am
BIOS 2.10 for Extreme4 is available right now but if you look at the timestamp of the thread starter, it's dated: 19 Sep 2015. At that time, the most up-to-date BIOS for that MB was 1.60 with 1.80 being released 4 days after the thread was created.

It's worrying that several people that together aquired almost the complete Z170 Extreme, experience the same issues with different BIOS versions (whichever was the latest at the time of posting). And this is certainly a small fraction of people having issues.

As I stated, I've seen quite a few RMA's for the Extreme6 MB on Newegg for varying issues but a good portion was related to UEFI freeze. So this issue affects the whole Z170 range and is not limited to the Extreme family, as posted by someone on this thread who bought a Z170 Pro4s.

It's also VERY bad that the issue remained unresolved through SEVERAL BIOS versions and we have no information from the producer that they are even aware of this and they are working on it.

And I didn't even mention the fact that on my MB the UEFI will freeze 100% if attempting to connect to Internet, making features related it completely non-functional: BIOS flash and Contact support. Regarding the latter "feature", it's extremely ironic since I've heard nothing from them in this thread or by filling out the support web form.

There are two main factors keeping me from returning my MB:
- the system is solid under normal use
- I don't have time to waste going through re-assembling my computer with another MB

Still, I'm quite dissapointed with how this was handled and for certain my next upgrade (which will come no earlier that ~4 years) will not contain another ASRock MB.

I really should have gone with my gut feeling and stay away from ASRock, as it was born from ASUS, the absolute worst MB manufacturer in history.
VaderSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VaderSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 2:07am
I'm having the same issue with a Z170M Extreme4.  There seems no rhyme or reason to it.  Some times it will happen several times in a row, and other times I have no issues.

In all cases when the issue pops up, the mouse pointer still moves, but the UEFI screen stops scrolling left/right & Up/Down,(I'm on a 720p TV)  and mouse clicks have no effect.

I have tried resetting the CMOS/battery pull to no effect.

There is only one BIOS release for my board.

The board is otherwise very stable under Windows 7 at stock speeds and overclocked within reason.  
Joloxx9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joloxx9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 2:27am
I have problem with my z170 extreme 6, bought it 3 days ago, latest bios 2.50 and sometimes it freeze in uefi without any reason. Any fix for that?
TrisRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrisRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 2:36am
Not yet, AFAIK. My Z170 Extreme6 has V2.00 and freezes; I was hoping an upgrade to v2.50 might help, but apparently not!!

I can't believe how long this issue is dragging on... Come on, ASRock!!!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:16am
If anyone solved their UEFI freezing issue by replacing the board with another one of the same model, please let us know.

Frankly, I doubt this is a hardware/board problem, unless it is somehow related to the Skylake processors and/or chipset.

Have I had this happen with my Z170 Extreme7+ board? Yes, occasionally I have.

One thing to keep in mind about any board's UEFI/BIOS: They are all programs/software that are purchased/licensed by mother board manufactures from a few sources. ASRock uses American Megatrends Inc. (AMI) UEFI firmware.

Mother board manufactures modify (or may have AMI modify) the UEFI firmware for each mother board model they sell. The amount of modifications or additional programming of the UEFI firmware done by mother board manufactures is minimal relative to the overall firmware programming done by the firmware provider.

Can a mother board manufacture create issues and bugs with their modifications? Sure, we've all seen that if we've built any PCs over the years. I had a mother board designed by Intel (when they still sold PC mother boards), a G45 chipset, socket 775 board. The first BIOS version or two had terrible problems, this from a company that should know what they are doing. They designed and built the processor and chipset used in the board!

Normally BIOS/UEFI issues are isolated to one mother board, one feature or option is broken before or after an update. In this case, we have the same situation (freezing) occurring across multiple models of boards.

As others have said in this thread, the freezing happens randomly and "for no reason", meaning it is not related to (apparently) a particular option or setting or configuration of multiple options. That makes me think that the freezing is caused by something more general and basic in the UEFI firmware.

By basic I mean something common in the underlying firmware code that is part of or common to all of the board's firmware. That is something that is not modified by the mother board manufactures.

So that might mean that the mother board manufacture does not know what the cause is, and are working with the UEFI firmware source, to find the problem. The firmware source may not know what is the cause.

My point is, to simply blame or say, "Come on, ASRock", indicates a less than realistic viewpoint of the entire situation.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 1:24pm
I had a few freezes myself on my H170 Combo on it's factory shipped BIOS but they ceased as soon as I updated to 1.50 and I had no freezing on any subsequent updates either. The BIOS freezing seems more prevalent on Z170 based boards and it is happening to all manufacturers to some extent. If you look around redit there are loads of users complaining about UEFI hangups and freezing on pretty much every brand so I am inclined to agree with Parsec here, it seems to be a platform issue rather than a manufacturer one. 

I don't think many people understand how heavily manufacturers are dependent on Intel, AMD and other component manufacturers when it comes to drivers, BIOS updates and firmware upgrades. A lot of the firmware is proprietary and while ASRock (or any manufacturer really) can make small changes to their UEFIs I imagine most of it is aesthetic and fine tuning within the confines of the customizable code. Think of it like a PC game, while yes the end user can change settings, remap keys and even add some aesthetic mods to it, ultimately they cannot access or change the guts of the code to fix problems, that needs to be done by the game's creators.
Joloxx9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joloxx9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 2:22pm
I understound everything, but that problem is really old. It's not something new. And now, I'm afraid that ASRock is not aware about that problem and we will never see fix for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic