ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AMD and NVMe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatmybogbrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMD and NVMe
    Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:57pm
I had until the other day I had a Gigabyte GA-990X GAMING board, it died and took my FX4300 CPU with it, not impressed only had this board for 5 months, I usually stick to Asrock boards but could not find one that had M.2 slot......

Now I still have my 970 extreme4 but will not boot to NVMe......annoying, can I get it to work or no chance.

Or are there any AM3 Asrock boards that do support it, I don't wan't to go AM4 just wont pay the silly prices at the mo for DDR4, CPU etc

I have the Samsung 960Evo M.2 and didn't really want to shove it in a sata case and go backwards.
Just bought another FX4300 for £20.

Any help as this is driving me nuts all the testing and searching......
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 2:21am
use a pcie card with the nvme adapter ?
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 2:25am
something like this ?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-m2-ngff-nvme-to-pci-e-x4-adapter-card-converts-m2-port-m-key-into-one-pci-e-x4-interface

p,s,

check it wasnt your psu that caused the damage to board and cpu...............

Edited by datonyb - 10 May 2018 at 2:26am
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
eatmybogbrush View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatmybogbrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 6:48am
Yeah already thought of that but.....the 970 extreme 4 bios does not support booting from NVMe which is a shame, as I need it for the operating system.
Tested PSU with my PSU tester and stable as a rock, also tried it in another PC and working fine, I tested everything in another PC and the only thing that don't work is the motherboard and CPU, the system was plugged into an UPS with surge protection, after seeing so many dead 990 boards from all mobo makers on ebay beginning to think they are weak.

Edited by eatmybogbrush - 10 May 2018 at 6:51am
dorken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dorken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 7:18am
Ii had the same problem with my x79 extreme6 and since the support for it seems to be dead i patched the bios myself...

If you dare search for a similar as possible board (i used a z97, you might use the 990 extreme) with nvme support. There as dozen of example in the net how to extract the three needed nvme modules from one uefi  and add them to an other.

eatmybogbrush View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatmybogbrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 6:58am
I did research that idea......but knowing my luck at the mo I will brick it.......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic