ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Password reset on ASRock H110M-DGS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradamante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Password reset on ASRock H110M-DGS
    Posted: 13 May 2018 at 2:48am
Hi there,

I just bought a computer used on EBay. Now I wanted to enter the BIOS to check the settings and to my surprise the BIOS is password-protected. The apparent original seller Computer 3000 responded to me that they never sell computers with a set BIOS password. The guy I bought it from on EBay does not respond and quite frankly I don't expect much help from him anway since in our earlier communication he seemed to be completely clueless about his own tech.

The motherboard manual is only a quick guide. There's a manual from the seller (Computer 3000) but it doesn't say anything about a BIOS password.

I tried removing the battery for a minute + bridging the Clear CMOS pad + hitting the power button multiple times. Password is still in place.

So, how do I reset the password on this ASRock H110M-DGS?

Edited by Bradamante - 13 May 2018 at 2:49am
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:43am
If you followed Xaltar's post resetting BIOS and it still does not clear the password:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal
Contact Tech support. http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5265&title=howto-contact-tech-support
They may be able to help
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
Bradamante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradamante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 8:46pm
Uh this problem is still not solved. I followed the instructions from ASRock support: 1) Unplug PSU, 2) remove CMOS battery, 3) bridge CLRCMOS, 4) wait for a while, 5) put battery back in, 6) plug PSU back in, 7) power on. Tried that multiple times, to no avail. Then I read that discharging the capacitators on the motherboard can take weeks. You are supposed to remove the battery for a while and press the power button for let's say 10 seconds from time to time. Did that.

Today I plugged the machine back on after the battery being removed for about three weeks. Guess what. Password is still there. What the heck?!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 10:21pm
The only way the clear CMOS solution (with removing battery and power) would not work is if something is still providing power to the board.

The password can only be retained if the (UEFI ROM) storage has power to it. 

Pull the power from the system -> press the power button and hold for 20 seconds ->pull the CMOS battery -> place jumper in clear position and leave it there -> disconnect all cables from the motherboard including SATA and panel connectors -> leave the system over night like this -> put the Clear CMOS jumper back in it's proper position -> replace battery and reconnect cables.

If you still have a password at this point then the BIOS ROM is corrupted and you will need to contact ASRock Tech Support about getting a replacement BIOS ROM. Your board has a socketed RAM chip so it should be an easy fix Wink
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 10:23pm
If you have any add in cards remove those too. Some cards have their own non volatile storage for firmware. If you have one of these it could be what is requesting a password and preventing BIOS access. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradamante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 6:17pm
Just tried it again. Removing everything I can remove. It's still there laughing at me.

The only explanation I see - outside of the mobo just being plain broken - is the CLCMOS bridge not working.

Edited by Bradamante - 03 Jul 2018 at 6:19pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 8:19pm
Possible but more likely a corruption in the BIOS I would think.

You could try a BIOS flash using the windows app, that might clear it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradamante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 5:32am
I have contacted ASRock support about this and they helped me out. They sent me a new BIOS chip with the current 7.7 firmware pre-installed via mail. It came from the Netherlands where their German language support apparently resides.
Exchanged the BIOS chip, boot and ... behold, no more password query. For the first time ever since I bought this thing I can actually access the BIOS and take it from there. i5-6400, 2x 8 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM and a GTX 1050 Ti, all there it seems. I also like the fact that I didn't have to provide proof of purchase. No receipt, even though I could have provided one.

Thanks ASRock support Thumbs Up

Edited by Bradamante - 11 Jul 2018 at 5:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic