ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keyboard and Mouse does not work in bios

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chewydr0p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keyboard and Mouse does not work in bios
    Posted: 18 May 2018 at 12:01pm
Built my new computer today.  
1)  X470 Master SlI/ac
2) Ryzen 2700x
3) gskill trident
4) 1080sc

Mouse and keyboard works fine in windows 10, but is unresponsive in the bios menu. I literally tried everything. Switching usb ports, using case usb ports, re-seating the CMOS battery.... Never had this problem in my pc building life. Please help :(
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 4:08pm
Do you have a USB 2.0 port to connect to the board's USB 2.0 headers? 

Some cases use a dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 front panel connector, if your case has this, try disconnecting the front panel from the USB 3.0 header on the board and connecting it to one of the 2.0 headers (under the bottom most PCIe slot). See if that gives you keyboard and mouse in UEFI.

If it does, look for your CSM settings and enable legacy USB, that should get your keyboard and mouse working on the 3.0 ports.

Your issue is not normal, the only other times I have seen similar it has involved logitech peripherals, I don't know why but some of them do not play nice with certain board's UEFI. If you have a spare keyboard/mouse to test with, give that a shot too. 

At worst, you can hook up a USB -> PS2 adapter and hook up a mouse or keyboard to the board's PS2 port. Use it to check your CSM settings.
chewydr0p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chewydr0p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 12:50am
Tried disconnection the USB connector and tried using a different keyboard, no bueno.
chewydr0p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chewydr0p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 6:15am
Ps2 keyboard and mouse doesnt work :\
meatofalltrades View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meatofalltrades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 2:00am
Giving this thread a nudge - am running into exactly the same issue with a a build that is pretty much the same as OP. Am trying to adjust RAM timings to get the proper speed settings.

Did you ever get this resolved?
meatofalltrades View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meatofalltrades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 2:39am
and right back to post a success story...

Our diagnostic approach:
1. check all the USB ports (did not unplug any internal headers) - no success

2. try a USB 2.0 hub - no success

3. try removing the CMOS battery to clear CMOS - no success

4. update the UEFI (from 1.40 to 1.90) - no success

5. buy/try a PS/2 connector - no success (PS/2 wasn't even observed in POST, so no UEFI access at all)

6. try the CLRCMOS jumper (borrowed from an ASUS board, because board didn't seem to include one, WTH ASRock?!?) - SUCCESS!!!

No idea why step 6 worked when step 3 failed (perhaps I didn't leave the battery out for long enough for the stored charged to dissipate.

djbello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djbello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 12:10am
I tried clearing the CMOS, and that did not work for me. Oddly enough, I was able to access my BIOS just two days ago with the same mouse and keyboard. I have the B450M Pro4 motherboard on the latest BIOS (P2.0). This started happening for me last night when I moved all my components from an old PC case to a new Fractal Design Meshify C case. The only quality difference that I spotted was that the new case has a USB 3.0 connector which I did not use for my mouse and keyboard. I have not tried removing the CMOS battery yet.
djbello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djbello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 12:31am
UPDATE: I was able to reset my BIOS to a useful state by removing the battery for about 15 minutes. I'd like to point out one thing: while the BIOS was in an unusable state, the top line of the screen which normally shows icons with text next to each icon for each category was only showing icons but no text. After I plugged back my battery and turned the computer on and entered the BIOS, each icon was accompanied by text again! This actually leads me to believe that the BIOS management software was hung and it had nothing to do with USB connectivity whatsoever. Using a PS2 keyboard also wouldn't work which further stresses my point that the BIOS had frozen.

So: how was this possible? How is it possible that some BIOS Value Corruption may have occurred by simply moving from PC Case A to PC Case B? Really odd behavior indeed. I wonder if this is some sort of a UEFI bug and hope this never happens again.
DigitalCoke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DigitalCoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 6:56am
I had the same problem.

Pulling the battery for 30 min did the trick!

Thanks
DigitalCoke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DigitalCoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 6:57am
Thanks! worked for me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic