ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using 32GB Flare X with Asrock X370 Taichi?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using 32GB Flare X with Asrock X370 Taichi?
    Posted: 19 May 2018 at 1:46am
Does anyone know if Asrock X370 Taichi + Ryzen 7 2700X would work with G.SKILL Flare X 32GB (4 x 8GB) at 3200 MHz? It works fine with two 8GB Flare X sticks at 3200 MHz, but I've heard that 4 sticks are harder to run at that frequency.

G.Skill have a Flare X set like this (4x8GB, 3200 MHz, 14-14-14-34 latency), but Asrock's QVL doesn't list it.
Reinvented View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 2:06am
It really depends on the IMC and what it's capable of.  You'll have to do some tweaking for sure to get it running.  And YMMV on what's considered stable.  You'll definitely have to relax timings, and definitely be running it at 2T.  I do not think you'll be able to use XMP profiles at all for this either.  
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Reinvented Reinvented wrote:

It really depends on the IMC and what it's capable of.

Is is Zen+ IMC in 2700X good enough for it?

You'll definitely have to relax timings, and definitely be running it at 2T.

What do you mean by 2T?

I do not think you'll be able to use XMP profiles at all for this either.

What is a good way to calculate RAM timings? Someone helped me before with my current two stick Flare X, and indeed it doesn't work as well with XMP profile, but works fine with custom timings.

Edited by shmerl - 19 May 2018 at 2:26am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 2:36am
Originally posted by shmerl shmerl wrote:

It really depends on the IMC and what it's capable of.

Is is Zen+ IMC in 2700X good enough for it?

You'll definitely have to relax timings, and definitely be running it at 2T.

What do you mean by 2T?

I do not think you'll be able to use XMP profiles at all for this either.

What is a good way to calculate RAM timings? Someone helped me before with my current two stick Flare X, and indeed it doesn't work as well with XMP profile, but works fine with custom timings.

It should do fine.  You'll definitely have to raise SoC voltage up a bit to compensate for 32 GB's/4 DIMMs.

1T timings run as default when clocking with 2 DIMM's (tighter).  It's also known as command rate.  4 DIMM's requires 2T, which is more relaxed.

I don't have 4 sticks to test, but you should be able to use the Ryzen DRAM Calculator just fine.  Just set it appropriately for B-die and 4 dimms, and see what values it returns.  It might return tighter values, but at that point, relax the timings a bit more till it gets stable.  
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 3:01am
Ah, I had issues with running Ryzen DRAM calculator in Wine on Linux in the past (basically it didn't work). I'll give it a try again.

Edited by shmerl - 19 May 2018 at 3:01am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinvented Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 3:21am
Don't use Wine.  Use it from Windows...
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 5:42am

No Windows :) I'd rather file a Wine bug if it still doesn't work.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 6:43am
Originally posted by shmerl shmerl wrote:

No Windows :) I'd rather file a Wine bug if it still doesn't work.

just chuck an old hard drive in run ram calculator set it up and go back to linux
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 7:06am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

just chuck an old hard drive in run ram calculator set it up and go back to linux

The author really should open source it, and someone can rewrite it without .NET. There is no point to keep it closed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic