ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme 7+ and ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabulius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme 7+ and ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC?
    Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 3:38pm
I've been searching a way to add Thunderbolt support to ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+ motherboard. However all retailers have stopped selling the ASRock Thunderbolt 2 AIC and only the newer Thunderbolt 3 AIC is available.

Does the TB 3 version work with my motherboard? Or are there any other 3rd party add-in cards that would work with ASRock?

And if someone has the ASRock Thunderbolt 2 add-in card laying around somewhere, please let me know. I would be very interested of buying one. Clap

Thanks for your help!
badbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 9:59am
Have you contacted Asrock Tech support ? They would know if a TB3 card will work with your board.
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=99573335296
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 5:09pm

Dear Tabulius,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Regarding your question, ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ can support ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC with special BIOS P7.60A.

Note: The ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC need to install at PCIE3 slot and the thunderbolt AIC connector also need to connect.

You can download the BIOS from below link and update by Instant Flash.

https://mega.nz/#!copEwQ4L!FF2TQbw_LmvXTEAgghMd6OJI7l_5vzL016kt5t7W5Xo

Thank you!

Yours truly,

ASRock TSD

lovetruth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 8:11pm
Hello

I have an Asrock x99 OC Formula (Gold), with a Xeon processor. I bought an Asrock Thunderbolt 3 AIC. Can the card be used on the x99 mainboard?... How can one accomplish that?...
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:22am
Dear Lovetruth,

Thunderbolt 3 AIC cannot support at X99 chipset.
Please check the following link for the ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC support list.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=Thunderbolt%203%20AIC#SupportList

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
lovetruth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 2:59am
Originally posted by ASRock_TSD ASRock_TSD wrote:

Dear Lovetruth,

http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=Thunderbolt%203%20AIC#SupportList

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD

Thanks for your reply. I can see that it is not in the Supported list... Also... the Z170 is not on the supported list too?... You still provided them with a moded BIOS... Can you do the same for the X99?... I'll try it, no problem if it fails (I even have an EEPROM programmer (this one - https://www.optimusdigital.ro/ro/programatoare/479-programator-de-memorie-ch341a.html ) and I'd just save and rewrite the current bios for the Asrock X99 OC Formula, if it's a problem...
Well?... Any hope?... :) Also... - would it work on the cheaper Z170?... Or... which one would surely work, but not the most expensive one?... :)
Thanks in advance for your quick and amiable reply!... Have a great time there and... be great, Asrock!... :)

Eng. Andrei Caba
dsp5500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsp5500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 7:33pm
Is it possible to also get the bios for the Z170 Extreme6+ ?
Very similar boards and I can also only get the Asrock Thunderbolt 3card

Regards,
Robert
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by lovetruth lovetruth wrote:

Originally posted by ASRock_TSD ASRock_TSD wrote:

Dear Lovetruth,

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD

Thanks for your reply. I can see that it is not in the Supported list... Also... the Z170 is not on the supported list too?... You still provided them with a moded BIOS... Can you do the same for the X99?... I'll try it, no problem if it fails (I even have an EEPROM programmer (this one - https://www.optimusdigital.ro/ro/programatoare/479-programator-de-memorie-ch341a.html ) and I'd just save and rewrite the current bios for the Asrock X99 OC Formula, if it's a problem...
Well?... Any hope?... :) Also... - would it work on the cheaper Z170?... Or... which one would surely work, but not the most expensive one?... :)
Thanks in advance for your quick and amiable reply!... Have a great time there and... be great, Asrock!... :)

Eng. Andrei Caba

Dear Lovetruth,

Thank you for your reply.

Due to the BIOS structure is different between X99 and Z170, X99 series cannot support Thunderbolt 3 by BIOS update.
We suggest choosing the motherboard on the support list.

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by dsp5500 dsp5500 wrote:

Is it possible to also get the bios for the Z170 Extreme6+ ?
Very similar boards and I can also only get the Asrock Thunderbolt 3card

Regards,
Robert

Dear Robert,

Regarding your case, please try the following BETA BIOS.
BIOS P7.50A Download link:
https://mega.nz/#!ExIlkKoJ!U0bCp0C4EELENBq5iz6QLXRQrIL4nrXIMOXTyLEegz4

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
TimBlast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimBlast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 4:35pm
I have a x99x fatality killer motherboard and just installed the thunderbolt 3 aic... the light is on, but not sure if its working. I read on amazon reviews that some dude made it work with the x99 Extreme 4. Since he has his working, wouldn't I be able to use it with the x99 killer fatality?
Tim Blast
Film Tv Music Composer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic