ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS does not boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS does not boot
    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 11:07am
Hi, I'm a complete beginner so I could use some help troubleshooting my pc.

Motherboard is AB350M Pro4. I setup everything up with Windows 10 and it worked great for a while. Then I started to have issues where the video would stop coming through the HDMI cable, causing me to have to remove and reinsert the cable into the video card. This would fix it for a while and then the video would turn off again. This continued for maybe a week, and over that week it seemed to get worse. Then one day I could not get video at all.

So I removed the video card, and plugged the HDMI straight into the motherboard itself, hoping to see BIOS. But there is no BIOS.

Here's what looks good:
  • When I power the board with the video card in, the video card lights up
  • When I press the on button on the case, all the lights and fans go on like normal.

But whether its the video card for Windows 10 or the plain board with no video card for BIOS, I get no video display.

I am completely stuck and don't know what to do next. Please let me know any further steps I can take or information I could provide that would help.
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 4:13pm
First thing first, what CPU are you running? I ask because if it's not an APU then you won't get any video straight from the HDMI port on the motherboard.

Have you tried a different cable type from your video card ie. DVI, VGA or DisplayPort?

Lastly, do you have another monitor to try in case it turns out the monitor itself is to blame?
matt49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 11:58pm
Hi TooQik, thanks very much for the reply. 

I'm using a Ryzen 7 1700x 3.4 GHz 8 Core AM4 Boxed Processor.

Also one thing that I forgot to mention is that in the process of building the PC, I did see the BIOS screen. This happened when everything was set up except for the video card, and the HDMI was plugged into the motherboard. Then I plugged in the video card, moved the HDMI to it, and things were good for a while before all this happened.

I can say for sure both the monitor and HDMI cable themselves are fine, because I'm using them right now with my laptop.

I'm not sure if I understand this all correctly, but this is what I think. I don't know if it would make sense to try other display ports in the video card right now, because I can't even get the BIOS screen up (it should come up right?). Should I try different kinds of video cables in the motherboard itself? I think thats really unlikely to be the solution, because that would mean something is wrong with the built in HDMI port on the board, which I have barely touched. (Mainly I'm hesitating because I don't own those cables. But I will purchase them if you still think its possible to make it work).

What's my next step? 
scythefwd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scythefwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:06am
the ryzen 1700x doesnt have an integrated gpu...,
threadripper 1950x at 3.9ghz
32gb gskill tridentz 3200 @3333
samsung 850 evo
CM 1k watt psu
Enermax tr240 cooler
s340 case
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 2:42am
Indeed, no GPU no post unless you have a 2200g or 2400g Ryzen CPU or an A-Series APU.

If you are describe your situation inaccurately it makes it very difficult to help you. 
matt49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 10:49am
Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable about the terminology but I dont think there is an integrated GPU and never meant to say that. I should have listed the parts I'm using in the first post.

Here they are:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x 3.4 GHz 8 Core AM4 Boxed Processor
Memory: Evo Potenza 16GB 2x 8GB DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 CL 16 Diel Channel Desktop Memory Kit
Video Card: Radeon RX-570 ROG Overclocked 4GB GDDR5 Video Card
Motherboard: AB350M Pro4 AM4 mATX AMD Motherboard
Storage: 240 GB NAND SATA 3.0.6.0 GB/s 2.5" Internal SSD
Fan: Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler

Edited by matt49 - 10 Jun 2018 at 10:50am
matt49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 11:54am
After reading an online tutorial on how to troubleshoot motherboard boot issues, I decided to try resetting the motherboard to factory settings. I pulled out the CMOS battery and waited 10 minutes before putting it back in. Unfortunately, it did not help.

I want to share another observation I made, but take it with a grain of salt because its based on a fuzzy memory from before the computer's video stopped showing. I thought that when I used to press the on button on the computer case, there would be a brief "whoosh" like a little surge of power, which you could hear because the fan would suddenly speed up a lot and then relax after a second. I might be making this up, but I think I noticed this also stopped right around when video stopped working. If this doesn't sound familiar to anyone lets just say I made it up, but otherwise, maybe its a clue to whats happening.

Edited by matt49 - 11 Jun 2018 at 2:43am
scythefwd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scythefwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 8:16am
try a known good video card.  PUll your r570 and put in a different card... Without a video card plugged into one of those slots, you will not be able to get any form of video, using the onboard header (on the mobo) or otherwise... 

Your first step is to eliminate any and all potential failed devices.  Strip it down to cpu, ram, and a known good .. meaning tested in another system... video card.. all properly hooked up.  Unplug everything else (excluding the cpu fan or cooler .. just stating the obvious here).  Disconnect hdd, any usb devices, any drives at all... See if you get a post message.  Then shut down and start hooking devices in one by one till it stops working.. that will be your indicator of what device you need to swap out.

threadripper 1950x at 3.9ghz
32gb gskill tridentz 3200 @3333
samsung 850 evo
CM 1k watt psu
Enermax tr240 cooler
s340 case
matt49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:23am
Originally posted by scythefwd scythefwd wrote:

try a known good video card.  PUll your r570 and put in a different card... Without a video card plugged into one of those slots, you will not be able to get any form of video, using the onboard header (on the mobo) or otherwise... 

Your first step is to eliminate any and all potential failed devices.  Strip it down to cpu, ram, and a known good .. meaning tested in another system... video card.. all properly hooked up.  Unplug everything else (excluding the cpu fan or cooler .. just stating the obvious here).  Disconnect hdd, any usb devices, any drives at all... See if you get a post message.  Then shut down and start hooking devices in one by one till it stops working.. that will be your indicator of what device you need to swap out.

Thanks, I don't have easy access to another video card but at least you're giving me hope that there are more things I can try.

I also purchased a BIOS testing kit, since I'm pretty desperate. I have never used anything like this before... and it's not working at all. I posted a 3-minute video to help show the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uJCrnASSs0

Looking back I'm realizing I may be totally misunderstanding the whole BIOS thing. I have always been a mac user and this is actually my first PC, so there are a lot of basic concepts I'm still trying to learn. After looking it up, I found out that the OS I installed (Windows 10) actually cannot load BIOS unless you perform a special kind of shutdown and restart from the Desktop. 

So is it even possible to load BIOS on this motherboard? I'm not entirely sure. One theory I had was that maybe the OS is installed only in the SSD. SO I detached it (after I took the video) and redid the same test with the BIOS testing kit with no SSD attached. Nothing, still no power going to the BIOS testing kit.

So I think the first step for me is to have a solid understanding of why this is happening. Some of the advice I've gotten so far has been related to my video card, but as far as I know, the video card doesn't even matter. When I first built this PC, before I installed Windows 10, I saw a config screen by turning the PC on with no video card and the HDMI connected directly to the board. All I'm worried about right now is being able to get to this point again (which I'm assuming is BIOS?) and then I'll start worrying about the video card again. 

Again I'm a total beginner so please correct me if anything I'm saying doesn't make sense.

I have a busy schedule so sorry I can't report back every day. Thanks so much.

TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 12:04pm
Matt, looking at your video it appears as though you have the motherboard sitting loosely on the PC case. Are you able to confirm whether you have insulated the motherboard from the motherboard standoffs you screw the motherboard to? If not, then you could be shorting out the motherboard on the PC case.

I know it's a pain, but it would be better to take the motherboard out entirely and place it on a non conductive surface, I usually use cardboard, to bench test it.

Also, have you tried the video card in both PCIe slots? If not, try it. If the video card works in one and not the other, then you have a PCIe slot issue and need to RMA the motherboard. If it doens't work in either then you most likely have a faulty video card but would still recommend trying it in another PC even if it means taking it to a retailer to see if they can test it for you.

Edited by TooQik - 15 Jun 2018 at 12:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic