ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Poor bios support X370/X399  will lose customers!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poor bios support X370/X399 will lose customers!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 1:40am
agreed, sad to see so many issues solved by just changing to a different brand mobo. i got the chance to test my cpu and ram in a Gigabyte gaming mobo in a build for a friend. well my CPU's memory controller and my Ram sticks where stable @ 3333mhz on that gigabyte, on my ASrock gaming mobo no post. this asrock mobo will not go past 2933mhz with the very same cpu and ram that a Gigbyte mobo hit 3333mhz stable. i only had a hour to mess with my ram/cpu on the gigabyte and had it running 3333mhz in no time.

some updates helped B-die but this has been a problem sense launch. you can see examples on this forum of people just getting a different brand mobo and all was well. you will also see some Mods say its your memory controller on the cpu but evidence proves otherwise on more then a few occasions even said about my own cpu. Asrock still dropping the ball on Ram support 1 year later. 

my 6th and last Asrock mobo. feels bad for all the people i recommended asrock to over the years.
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 P3.40
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 @ 4Ghz 1.39v
Noctua NH-D15 "blocks top 1x pci-e"
16GB GSkill Ripjaw V F4-3200C16D-16GVRB @ 2933 14-15-15-15 T1 1.365v
GTX 1080 x2 Sli
Zoxpop1980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoxpop1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 3:08am
I have asrock x370 pro4 and ryzen 2200g, and have this problem, that after overclocking all cores remain on max speed, even if i put on balanced mode in windows. the core speed and voltage is always on maximum. this problem occuring when i OC from bios and from ryzen master. Before this MB i have asrock b350m pro4 and i dont have this OC problem but i change it because of freezing problem. Did someone know the resolution for this problem
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 6:46am
Originally posted by chainsaw chainsaw wrote:

you will also see some Mods say its your memory controller on the cpu but evidence proves otherwise on more then a few occasions even said about my own cpu. Asrock still dropping the ball on Ram support 1 year later.

I never blame the IMC unless there is clear evidence to prove it (tested on different boards). We mods are on your side guys, we are not sellouts or employees of ASRock. We pass along all the info we get here to our contacts at ASRock to try and get issues resolved. 

We do try to rule out board issues wherever possible, the fact is, most people blame the motherboard right out the gate and quite often, it isn't the problem. Ryzen on the other hand has been a whole different beast and caused no end of issues for all of us. 

I blame the BIOS support too, be it ASRock's slow releases or AMD's AGESA codes causing problems the fact remains, we are the ones that are stuck waiting constantly on updates.

For every person on here with issues there are thousands with no problems. These are serious issues but they are by no means product stack wide. Some memory gives issues while others work fine. My system is rock stable (details in sig) at 3333 with my 3600 RAM kit (B-Die). 

I will query ASRock on these ongoing issues yet again. Hopefully they have a solution soon. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 6:53am
I should also note that other manufacturers have the same issue. All boards are not made equal and memory that works in one won't necessarily work in another. I have seen people switch boards and solve their problems but I have also seen people switch to ASRock from other brands and solve their problems so it's kinda all over the place still, particularly with 300 series boards. 

And guys, when you are having issues like this please also make a support ticket to ASRock. Every so often we contact them about issues and are told they have not received tickets (many or any at all) about X or Y issue and that means they have no one working on it. State your RAM model # and brand so they can look at your exact specs and see what issues need fixing. 

The forums are here to help the community find quick fixes and troubleshoot issues, when the issue is clearly BIOS related and requires an update ASRock need to know about it. While they do check in on the forums they do not read every post. Support tickets do all get checked so this is your best option to get their attention. 

Edited by Xaltar - 11 Jun 2018 at 6:55am
chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 9:56am
Your looking for P-State OC. that seems to be broken in the past few bios unfortunately. 
GTX 1080 x2 Sli
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 5:23pm
I had noticed that, we have seen a few reports of that on the forums here.

Another part of the issue is that a lot of users don't experience issues. Many users don't overclock or mess with RAM speeds and settings, they put it together, turn it on and install windows. Users that do this tend not to have problems because they run things bog stock with no tweaks. We tweakers are still the minority by a large margin. 
chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:16am
as recommended by Xaltar i contacted asrock support and well. disappointment 

"This 3200mhz the most stable is running at 2933mhz.  The reason is due to the 1st Gen of AM4 processor".
GTX 1080 x2 Sli
scythefwd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scythefwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 11:07pm
xaltar - not just that.. even those of us that do tweak dont all have issues.. so its not just that tweakers are a small %, its that the stuff that isnt quite right only has impact on certain tweakers.

P state oc - I'm running 3.9ghz on my 1950x.. but I'm not doing it via pstates.. I just run it flat out all the time.. No issues at all here.

XMP - only effects folks running more than 2 sticks of ram.. my lowly 32gb just isnt enough to encounter the issue (and lets be honest with ourselves.. how many people actually run more than 32gb of ram.. I intend to but I also realize that I'm very much in the minority).

Some of the stuff might not be fixable.. it could be weaknesses in teh design of the chip itself, and not the chipset or the bios (though some of it could be bios or chipsets for sure.. Pstates yes, ram speed.. I dunno.. is the controller integrated into the proc on x399?)
threadripper 1950x at 3.9ghz
32gb gskill tridentz 3200 @3333
samsung 850 evo
CM 1k watt psu
Enermax tr240 cooler
s340 case
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 11:43pm
Thanks Scythefwd, that's what I was trying to say but poor phrasing on my part was misleading. 

I have no issues with my own system at present as I said in my last post, I tweak the hell out of all my systems both for value and fun. I think almost all of us that do tune our systems had issues at some point with Ryzen but with the sheer volume of BIOS updates most by now have found a stable BIOS to use. 

Originally posted by chainsaw chainsaw wrote:

as recommended by Xaltar i contacted asrock support and well. disappointment 

"This 3200mhz the most stable is running at 2933mhz.  The reason is due to the 1st Gen of AM4 processor".

Did you include that you were able to achieve 3333 on a competitor board with the exact same physical RAM and CPU?

I know this may not be the case with your situation but you also have to be careful of false reporting or timings being set exceedingly loose to force higher clocks to work on some boards. For example, I can actually hit 3600 with my 3600 kit on my Taichi but the timings are so loose that I actually score worse benchmark results than setting tight timings at 2666, that is almost 1000mhz lower but still has higher read/write results as well as lower latencies. 

The moral of the story is always run benchmarks at various frequencies and timings and find what nets you the best performance. 

There is a modicum of truth to what ASRock told you, the IMCs on first gen Ryzen are inferior to the second iteration IMCs but there is always a degree of variance even within the same generation. As you noted, your CPU/RAM combo performed better on another board. It may simply be down to a physical difference in the board design that your particular RAM does not agree with. 

Realistically speaking you are not missing out on any significant performance running at 2933 rather than 3200, particularly if you can tighten your timings up a little. It helps to bare that in mind sometimes but if you are like me and can't shake the urge to get the rated frequencies to work then you will need to either wait on yet another BIOS or switch out components, be it board or RAM. 

I say this a lot: If you are running at 2666 or higher you are doing fine and won't notice any appreciable boost from higher clocks anyway. When you get to the point where something like RAM frequency is ruining your enjoyment of your system you need to take a step back and look at the rest of the system and how well it performs. It's so easy to get caught up in one thing and miss out on all the good stuff around it. 

I'm not saying it isn't frustrating to have a high performance RAM kit under performing but it shouldn't be all you care about either. I ran my very expensive (at the time of purchase) 3600 kit at 2666 for a long time before I finally got an update that allowed 3200. I am still not able to get my full 3600 at rated timings and voltage. I have accepted the fact that my kit was specced for intel long before Ryzen launched and likely will never run at 3600 on first gen Ryzen. I have tested both the RAM and CPU in multiple boards and none do as well as my Taichi. 

Edited by Xaltar - 12 Jun 2018 at 11:44pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:54am
a few minor observations if i may
rated xmp speed and timings if often if not always set at 2t for intel (ryzen tends to set it at 1t)

as xaltar stated differences in boards may well be just down to the different brands preselected sub timings (if it helps honestly i find msi bios tends to allow easier overclocking of ram for am4) this dosnt mean its faster/better it means they auto select safer subtimings, do i own an msi board ? no ! i prefered what i bought and that was asrock taichi overkill power supplies, but ive now built 4 msi ryzens for other people ,all of which have overclocked ram and cpu , but let me tell you msi tomahawks require a lot of volts to get the 1600's upto 3.8 stable,whereas a titainium was a breeze to get low volts 3.9 and 3333 cl14

whats the point ?

everything is different, brands of bios ,design of boards, its a case of see how you go
me ? well from day one (and we mean as soon as the taichi was in stock in the UK) i got 3200 ram working, bios version 2 ,what it took was a week or two and a lot of reading to get cl14 to cold boot, did it take a bios update ? NO it took time and education to get there
and now im still quite happy on bios v3.10

its still to some degree a case as it was at first

if you want top results with ram and ryzen buy the damn B dies , and that goes for any brand of motherboard b dies will do better than hynix etc
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic