ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Boot Menu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote andre117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:14pm
It is probable not an UEFI Bios bug.

There might be an orphaned UEFI boot entry in your system that points to a location where it no longer exists.

Try this tool:

Check for orphaned entries and remove them (if you are still able too boot windows).
The same thing can be done under linux. See efibootmgr here.

Aurumvorax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:09am
Originally posted by andre117 andre117 wrote:

It is probable not an UEFI Bios bug.

There might be an orphaned UEFI boot entry in your system that points to a location where it no longer exists.

Try this tool:

Check for orphaned entries and remove them (if you are still able too boot windows).
The same thing can be done under linux. See efibootmgr here.

Deleted those last two.

Well have a look at this. My problem is gone. Thank you so much, Andre117! Clap

And I was almost on my way to the post office. Tongue
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:10am
yeah

finally a solution

thanks for seeing this issue through and andre for the tip to try and resolve it
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 5:26am
Brilliant, added to my bookmarks for future reference. Great to see your issue is resolved Aurumvorax Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info Andre117 Cool

Just goes to show, it takes a village sometimes Wink
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 7:15am
Nice!!!! Thumbs Up

It does beg the question though, if the cause was an orphaned UEFI boot entry on a drive, why does the BIOS still show it when all drives are disconnected?
Aurumvorax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurumvorax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by TooQik TooQik wrote:

Nice!!!! Thumbs Up

It does beg the question though, if the cause was an orphaned UEFI boot entry on a drive, why does the BIOS still show it when all drives are disconnected?

I can't give you an answer to that. I often tinker around with Linux and used to try a lot of different distros. Still use Manjaro and LinuxLite, those however didn't left any "footprints" in the UEFI.

At first I thought it had to do with disk encryption ... used the built-in LUKS both in Debian as well as in Antergos. But also did so with Manjaro, and there is no entry for that in the UEFI.

It gets even stranger: at some point I changed the drive with my brother ones, out of convenience, since we both got the same and we were doing some benchmarking. He got a Ryzen 1600X on a B350, I got myself a 1700 on X370, and we were curious about which CPU would perform better on which board. So from some point on I used my brothers SSD, which never had any Debian or Antergos on it.

By the way: the whole process of finding a solution to this problem got my BIOS settings deleted multiple times. I used to have my CPU run at 3.7Ghz, but can't remember the tweaks aside from voltage. Anyone knows a good overclocking guide for the X370 Gaming K4?

Edited by Aurumvorax - 22 Jun 2018 at 10:09pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:04pm
The reason it stays even with the drives disconnected is because the entries are written to the UEFI. UEFI is a completely different animal to old school BIOS, it actually allows the OS to make changes. 

I had thought that clearing CMOS by removing the battery would clear it but apparently not. Live and learn Smile

As for guides, check out Tech Yes City on youtube. Brian has some pretty decent guides up and they tend to be easy to follow.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 3:07am
3.9 should be okay at around 1.35v ,try lowering it after (1,325-1,3 if your lucky)
mine can do 1.3 at 3.9ghz as long as i stick to 3200 ram speed ,it requires a little more to stabilise fully with faster ram speed and tighter timings

3.7 should be closer to 1.2 ish

[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 5:12am
uefi is caching it.. its asrock fail that it keeps it when u dont need it

tho i think u can fix that manualy in uefi shell with bcfg command
boot menu starts from zero (0)

To dump a list of current boot entries:
Shell> bcfg boot dump -v

To remove the 4th boot option:

Shell> bcfg boot rm 3

To move the boot option #3 to #0 (i.e. 1st or the default entry in the UEFI Boot menu):

Shell> bcfg boot mv 3 0

http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/UEFI_Shell_Spec_2_0.pdf page 84

Edited by kerberos_20 - 23 Jun 2018 at 5:15am
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The reason it stays even with the drives disconnected is because the entries are written to the UEFI. UEFI is a completely different animal to old school BIOS, it actually allows the OS to make changes. 

I had thought that clearing CMOS by removing the battery would clear it but apparently not. Live and learn Smile

As for guides, check out Tech Yes City on youtube. Brian has some pretty decent guides up and they tend to be easy to follow.

Thanks Xaltar.

I clearly had my BIOS hat on when I asked that question. I've since brushed up on my UEFI knowledge.

This does point to it being an ASRock firmware issue, as kerberos_20 points out. ASRock need to work out why the UEFI Boot Manager in NVRAM became corrupted and required a third party tool to delete the offending entry.

Edited by TooQik - 23 Jun 2018 at 9:07am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic