ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty Z97 Killer & TPM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steridhh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 9:40pm
TPM 2.0 Module

Can Someone tell me, whre to get a TM 2.0 Module (17 PIN) for that motherboard.
Living in germany, I've trouble to get one.

I#m looking here, what should be okay :

https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/card.asp?Model=TPM-S%20Module

But searching for that is extremely difficult and without a result.
Shipping from USA is too expensive: DHL express worldwide 165,- $   
thanks for answering me.
andreluizbarbieri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreluizbarbieri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:02pm
Dear Drock88,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Regarding your case, we have released a special BIOS P2.60A to add TPM 2.0 support.

Please download the BIOS from below link.

https://mega.nz/#!x9hVTayB!pxKvJko70S_ygOExh8fFth0GFU74ah4h80Cm0AmpT-k

Thank you!

Yours truly,

ASRock TSD

Please, I need this BIOS with TPM 2.0 support to Z97m PRO4
DanielHyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielHyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 11:36am
I'm having the exact same problem with my otherwise great H97Z Pro4 motherboard - I just installed the 17-pin ASRock TPM 2 module but the BIOS (P2.30) refuses to let me enable it, so Win 10 can't find it. Please send me a link to an upgraded BIOS that can work with TPM 2.0 hence Win 11. Must ASRock solve this problem again every time someone gets stuck? Why not release a general solution?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielHyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 10:44pm
Pardon my myopia - that's H97M Pro4. Still great. Still lets me attach the ASRock Rack 17-pin TPM 2 module and opens a Trusted Computing item in the Advanced UEFI BIOS section - just won't let me do anything to enable support. Please advise.
HandyG52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HandyG52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 6:20am
Hey guys. This thread helped me get to Windows 11 where ASRock support seemed to be lacking, so I figured I'd follow up so anyone coming behind me has an easier time.

I used this TPM 2.0 module:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPR5943/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may have luck talking to support - the first guy I got just kept telling me it wouldn't work. The second guy finally told me to try it at my own risk and gave me the file.

While the downloads page for the Fatal1ty Z97 killer mobo does not provide the beta bios v2.60a, it does still exist. I've seen some links before, but most were dead when I needed them so I'm uploading the BIOS update:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iddqp2tuj5vxyx0/Z97Kill2.60a?dl=0

Make sure your boot drive is converted to GPT before updating your firmware so that it can be used by UEFI. It seems that this firmware is not compatible with legacy MBR boot partitions like older BIOS versions were. This may have been related to other things in my environment, like my dual boot setup. You will need UEFI anyway, so here's how to check and update if necessary.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

Once you are booting using UEFI, update the mobo firmware to 2.60a, enable TPM in the Trusted Computing section if not already, boot into Win 10, use the registry edit tell Windows to ignore your older CPU and update using this guide:
https://www.theverge.com/22715331/how-to-install-windows-11-unsupported-cpu-intel-amd-registry-regedit

Worked for me, but as always try at your own risk.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielHyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 12:24pm
Well said. Thanks indeed for documenting and supporting this common-sense approach. My path to Win 11 has been very similar.

Question for you that ASRock support deems beneath their dignity to answer: Win 10 ran the nifty little ASRock utility just fine, that boots into UEFI. No such luck with Win 11, which seems to object to its memory (mis)handling and won't launch it. (I have a bluetooth keyboard nicely visible to Windows, but none of its function (or any other) keys can communicate, hence jump into UEFI, before Windows starts.) ASRock support claims that the motherboard (which of course is the same one, sans TPM 2 module, that ran the utility under Win 10) is the culprit. Does this utility run for you under Win 11? Will there be a Win 12 before ASRock recompiles its boot-to-UEFI applet? Thanks in advance...
HandyG52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HandyG52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 6:14am
I have never used this utility before, but I just installed it to see what would happen. It seems to run OK for me.

One thing I would like to note, however is that the beta firmware 2.60a had VERY slow boot times. I'm not sure if it is scanning every device to find bootable drives or what, but I wasn't unplugging things one by one to see if it speeds up.

To work around this I made use of our dual BIOS setup. I have the beta BIOS which supports TPM2.0 on my backup BIOS and set my primary BIOS to 2.60, the latest official BIOS - lacking TPM2.0 support. Windows 11 doesn't seem to care as long as you had TPM at the time of your installation. I don't currently use BitLocker or any applications that would require TPM. I kept the BIOS on the motherboard backup in case one day I need to switch back for any reason I just swap the jumpers, but the official BIOS is much faster and more polished.

All of this was to point out, perhaps the reason the application is running ok is because I'm back to BIOS version 2.60 - even with the TPM module installed and running Windows 11. I will try switching back to the beta BIOS and running the application again to see how it behaves.
HandyG52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HandyG52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 6:31am
Reporting back - the Restart to UEFI application runs fine for me on Win 11 using both 2.60 and 2.60a BIOS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielHyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 6:24am
Many thanks! Very helpful. Here are a few data points on my rig:

(1) My mobo is actually an H97M Pro4, running either the slicker 2.30 BIOS or the TPM-aware 2.10C BIOS. With the former, Win 11 comes up in about 5 seconds. With the latter, without Secure Boot on, about 20 seconds; with Secure Boot about 80 seconds. Trade-off is, the last is the only way to placate Device Mangler, System Resources, Device Performance and Health, and WhyNotWin11, as to the presence of the TPM 2. I'm trying to amass evidence that my (LGA1150) 4+ GHz i7-4790K really belongs on Microsoft's approved CPU list; it has indeed run Win 11 fast, cool, safely and flawlessly for four months.

(2) I last downloaded the RestartToUEFI utility several years ago, under Win 10. Back in October when I coaxed Win 11 to life, it refused to launch RestartToUEFI. Dozens of automatic Win 11 upgrades, and zero RestartToUEFI upgrades, later, Win 11 is fine with it under either BIOS, and it runs like a champ. I'm willing to stipulate that this had been a Microsoft problem, since fixed. Thank you for checking under both BIOS versions.

(3) If you have Windows Hello going, changing the BIOS will make it say goodbye to your PIN and/or fingerprint. Luckily, restore the previous BIOS and Hello behaves itself again.

Win 11 is reasonably nice. I rely on it to give online music lessons, and it hasn't burped. But I'm also glad I didn't junk my entire setup for it, and shell out $750+ for new gear I really didn't need. Fie on Microsoft for trying to force millions of people to do this. And thanks again for your measured and most helpful guidance.
Buddy5954 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buddy5954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 8:14am
Originally posted by HandyG52 HandyG52 wrote:

While the downloads page for the Fatal1ty Z97 killer mobo does not provide the beta bios v2.60a, it does still exist. I've seen some links before, but most were dead when I needed them so I'm uploading the BIOS update:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iddqp2tuj5vxyx0/Z97Kill2.60a?dl=0

Thanks for the information. I bought the TPM module you linked to, and now I'm in need of the beta BIOS.

I was able to download the file you shared... is it compressed? Both WinZip and 7zip had errors.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic