ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty Z97X Killer/G3258

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty Z97X Killer/G3258
    Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 11:58pm
Parsec,
ProfJim sent me over here since you disappeared from the TweakTown site!

I finally got my Z97X Killer MB replaced and it solve the SATA issues I was having - Tweaktown thread.  Now I'm trying to run the Plex Media server using the Killer MB and the G3258 that you talked me into a while back.  Unfortunately, the G3258 running @4.0GHz pegs out at 100% utilization when doing any kind of transcoding for remote streaming of a video file.  I think you said you have a Xeon 1246 V3 processor.  If so, do you still like it for server  environment.  I was using one of my Z97 Extreme6/4790K systems to run the Plex server and it had no problem keeping up with whatever came it's way.   But... I got the Killer MB and want to use it for something constructive!!  Comments please.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 3:57am
Hi Ken429, I remember you of course.

Actually I have a Xeon E3-1276 v3, which is a notch faster than the E3-1246 v3.

http://ark.intel.com/products/80915/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1276-v3-8M-Cache-3_60-GHz

I love the Xeon E3-1276 v3, works great, runs cool for a Haswell, but is locked so no OC possible. It is nice not worrying about an OC and the high temperatures that causes. I'm sure it will work as well as an i7-4790K, since it is basically the same as an i7-4790 non-K processor, with all the Xeon/Server features enabled. The Xeon's integrated graphics are considered to be slightly better than those of the i7 Haswell CPUs.

When did I talk you into using a G3258? Wink Certainly not for the purposes you just described. You know its performance in IBT or LinX is much less than an i7-4790K.

My Xeon E3/Z97 Extreme6 PC is my work horse system, no muss or fuss, it just works dependably every time. In a sense it has taken my attention away from over clocking and all the attention it may need. Just like the G3258 when over clocked, the payback in performance is expensive in effort and time, and of questionable worth IMO for the i7-4000 series Haswell, compared to their Xeon E3 cousins.
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 5:25am
Thanks for the quick reply.  I'll make my way from Valparaiso, IN to Micro Center in Westmont and get my Xeon 1246 V3 ASAP.  I'll buy coffee if your interested!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 11:08am
That's where I got my Xeon E3, the good old MC in Westmont.

If you are going let me know when, I might be able to make it there when you're there. I was there last week but it's not that far for me to go to get there.
zambien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zambien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 10:12pm
I have a G3258 and Asrock H97M running plex media server, kodi, and a bunch of other stuff.  It is true that when you kick off something that needs to be transcoded it can take 100% of the CPU but my observation has been that is only until the transcoding is buffered sufficiently.  This is for my NAS/HTPC though.  I have a different computer which I game, surf, work on.

Are you having issues other than just seeing the CPU at 100%?
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 12:35am
Yes,  my son is in CO and for some reason has intermittent issues with the internet throughput which causes the movie playback to stutter and or stop.  He gets around the issue by reducing the quality of the video stream from Plex.  You are correct the G3258 runs at 100% when he does this but in most cases recovers fairly quickly.  I don't have an answer, but it seems like his lousy cable connection and the slower processor forced to transcode tend to converge and cause him viewing problems.  This issue was not nearly as apparent when I had the Plex Server running on a 4790K system.  Locally, over my in-house network I have no issues playing movies but do notice the system being a little sluggish when adding movies or just doing maintenance on the Plex libraries.  But then that is expected with the slower processor.  Anyway, I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade the system to a Xeon 1246 V3 processor. 

Edited by Ken429 - 03 Oct 2015 at 12:37am
zambien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zambien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 7:59pm
That is interesting. I had a q6600 prior to upgrading to the g3258. The system is faster now but certainly a k serires would be even faster. I do very little streaming outside of my lan though. For the most part my transcoding is local to a roku 1. I also play to my Kodi but there is no transcoding there.
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 5:22pm
parsec,

Sorry, I got so excited I ran up to Westmont early the "morning after" and purchased the Xeon chip. 

I installed the Xeon processor in the replacement Z97X Killer MB and all seemed Ok.  Then yesterday the system which had been running 24-7 for a week or so just died.  W10 will not boot up correctly.  I restored an old backup of W10 on a different SSD and it developed the same problem - would not let Window's Update install an update and then eventually would not boot.  I should have know that I would inherit someone else's problem with the replacement MB.  I don't think I have ever had a replacement MB work correctly (0-3) either from ASUS or ASRock!!

So, I guess I will buy a third Z97 Extreme6 MB and throw the Z97X Killer MB in the garbage.  I don't think my problem could possibly be caused by the Xeon processor?!  I did not reinstall a fresh version of W10 when I changed the processor from the G3258 to the Xeon 1246 v3.  Could that be an issue?

Later:
I'm reinstalling a fresh copy of W10.  So far everything is working as advertised.  Maybe that was my problem?

Also, every time I login to this forum I get the popup window that says I need to agree to the terms and conditions of the forum.  I agree, but how do select the Yes Button or where can I get to the Yes Button to select it?!!

Edited by Ken429 - 16 Oct 2015 at 11:02pm
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 6:03pm
In case anyone is interested!  I reinstalled W10 9 days ago and the system has been running 24-7 ever since with no known issues.  W10 must have something in it that causes the system to go nuts after I installed the Xeon processer AND W10 tried to install updates to the W10 system created using the G3258 processor?  That's what was driving to the brink, the system would run ok until W10 decided to install updates.  Oh well, another mystery semi-unsolved.  So, I have to take back the bad words on the Z97X Fatality Killer MB replacement - it appears to be a good one.

parsec,
Looks like it was a good thing I ran up and bought the Xeon processor when I did since Micro Center raised the price $40 after I bought it.  Looks like they raised the price on several "old" processors.  You would think the price would go down after Intel put out a new line of processors?

Edited by Ken429 - 25 Oct 2015 at 6:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic