ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overclocking on B85 Pro 4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overclocking on B85 Pro 4
    Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 2:45am
1st of all id like to say hello since this is my 1st post on this forum

i have an asrock b85 pro4.. when i was on bios version 2.20 i was able to overclock my intel g3258 in the bios or via the asrock utility.. when i upgraded to windows 10 i had to upgrade to bios version 2.30 in order to get windows 10 to boot / install onto my pc

since then i have lost the overclocking ability in both bios and utility

is there any way / updates coming that will allow me to overclock my cpu.. the main reason why i bought this motherboard was the easy of overclocking and i have now lost that ability

thanks in advance
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 3:00am
To the best of my knowledge the only thing you can do to return overclocking is to flash back to the last BIOS version that supported it and either revert to another version of windows or look for a workaround on the web for Microsoft's nasty update that broke overclocking support for non Z boards. The update only affected intel B and H series chipset motherboards that supported overclocking possibly Q series if there are any of those with overclocking though I doubt it given their workstation/server market-space. 

jeffazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 3:06am
yeh i checked all over the microsoft forums and i like windows 10 (mainly xbox app to stream xbox one to my pc)

if i put windows 8.1 back on and revert to 2.20 that will allow me to overclock.. i can imagine since its mainly H chips (mines a haswell) i imagine even if i purchase a different motherboard i probs will run into the same issue... i imagine if no workaround / update being pushed out ill probs endup getting an i7 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 1:11pm
I was in a similar boat with my G3258 and B85 Anniversary but I got my hands on a Z97 Extreme 3 so I no longer have an issue. 

I did not use windows 10 on my old B85 but if I had I likely would have gone out and replaced my CPU with an i5/i7 or a Xeon E3. If you do look into a CPU upgrade you need to bare in mind that overclocking has been locked out completely with the latest update on all H/B series motherboards so H81, H87, H97 and B85 boards have lost the "Non-Z" overclocking option. You will probably want either a locked i5/i7 or a Xeon E3 like the 1231-v3 which is essentially a locked i7 with all the server features enabled and significantly cheaper in most cases.

There are workarounds for windows 10 that allow overclocking and stability but you then run the risk of any new "update" "fixing" your fix and breaking everything again.

robertmethew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertmethew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:36pm

now this is good to hear. I hope other manufacturers follow suit. would love to not have to pay $180 for a good z series board.

Quote Advertising links deleted by Moderator. Do not use these forums for advertising thank you.

Edited by Xaltar - 19 Nov 2015 at 7:19pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

.. look for a workaround on the web for Microsoft's nasty update that broke overclocking support for non Z boards.

Credits please. I'm not aware that anything MS shoves down the pipe can "disable' any overclocking ability/results.

That I'm aware ASRock and the BIOSes they roll, are. Some of those chipsets listed above Intel themselves didn't intend to overclock. Those OC abilities are only there because of ASRocks BIOS engineers, not Intel. And certainly not Microsoft.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 2:23pm
MS released an update on win 10 launch day that caused all non-Z boards with overclocking enabled to BSOD. In some cases people could revert to stock and windows would run again but most people required a BIOS update that disabled the feature entirely. This was a huge issue that is well documented on the web. While MS cannot disable BIOS features they can make those features cause BSODs, especially when intel provided them with all they needed to do it.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2015 at 7:50pm
Ahhh, that's why I never noticed it. It was specific to the G3258. Not all non-Z boards.

Hence ASRock releasing BIOSes that were "Windows 10" on the boards that supported the G3258.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=441&title=kb3064209-breaks-the-g3258

https://www.google.com/search?q=KB3064209+overclock
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic