ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with BIOS settings? (B450 Pro4, 2400G)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lpind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with BIOS settings? (B450 Pro4, 2400G)
    Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 8:32pm
Setup:
  • B450M Pro4 (BIOS 1.2beta)
  • Ryzen 5 2400G
  • G Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4-3000 (2x4GB SR)
  • WD Black M.2 NVMe (250GB, 2018 model)
  • Windows 10 Pro

This is my first build and I think I'm struggling a little with understanding all the BIOS settings.

Fast Boot Options
Enabling Fast Boot and/or disabling CSM both remove the ability to boot from any source (I've connected bootable SATA drives and the USB install media while testing to ensure it wasn't just an incompatibly with NVMe drives) and will only boot to BIOS where the boot options are then unavailable (show only EUFI shell option). Is there another setting I need to change to enable these options to function, or are they explicitly incompatible with my setup?

Fan Settings
I've noticed that regardless of fan profile (both built-in options and custom), the fans will only operate at their base speed and don't react to temperature changes with either "Monitor CPU" or "Monitor MB" options. They will react to temperature changes with the "Tctrl" option, so my first thought was the ohther options must be exclusively for 4-pin fans... but one of my fans is 4-pin, so what do those other options do?

Auto OC
I've seen that AMD advertises various smart "Auto OC" features on the Ryzen 2 chips, and I don't know whether I'm currently benifitting from any of them. Under full load in single core applications the CPU will happily sit at 3.9GHz (advertised boost clock), and in multithreaded workloads will peg all 4 cores at 3.75GHz (150MHz above base). CPU temperature never gets above 72c (hits 65c instantly, then increases to 70c over a couple minutes and then will very slowly creep up to 72c over the next 5 minutes or so). Are these numbers matching to expected "Auto OC" results, or should the chip be pushing beyond that advertised boost speed considering it has more than enough cooling (oh, max CPU voltage I've seen under load is 1.41something - is it reaching the limit of safe voltages before temperature becomes an issue?)? Could some of my BIOS settings be limiting performance?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!
Mixermachine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mixermachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 3:26am
Hy there
I also just have set up a Ryzen 5 2400G with a Asrock board.

Fast Boot Option:
I tried it my self but it simply booted back to the BIOS for me.
Seems odd. I think this might be a UEFI bug.
@admin ?

Fan settings:
I wondered about the same thing.
Somehow you need to select the tctrl option, otherwise the CPU temperature is not taken into account.
It works for all my fans (1x4 pin CPU fan, 2x3 pin case fan)

Auto OC:
It think 1.4 is much to high.
I might have been very lucky but I set my CPU to 4000 MHz @ 1.275 Volts.

For testing:
Install AMD Ryzen Master, then slowly decrease the voltage with the tool.
Test with Prime95 for stability.
If you have found a good setting that does not crash, add another maybe 0.1 volts (for safety) and enter the values manually in the UEFI.

Maybe start with 3.9 (or 4.0) at 1.35 volts.

If game on you machine you might also consider to OC the GPU.
Mine runs at 1650 MHz @ 1.3 volts (I think I'm like there).
Start bit below that. You don't want to go above 1.3 volts.
Set the SOV voltage to 1.2, the GPU to 1.3 and increase the speed in 50 mhz steps.

Greetings from Gerrmany
kschendel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kschendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 9:16am
Re the fans:  the CPU thermistor temp sensor appears to be broken, stuck, or mis-read on a few Asrock AM4 boards, not just the B450 Pro.  Use Tctrl. I believe the MB (Motherboard) sensor is OK, but the MB temp only varies very slowly and by a few degrees even under very heavy load, so it's not all that useful.

lpind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lpind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Mixermachine Mixermachine wrote:

Hy there
I also just have set up a Ryzen 5 2400G with a Asrock board.

Fast Boot Option:
I tried it my self but it simply booted back to the BIOS for me.
Seems odd. I think this might be a UEFI bug.
@admin ?

Thanks for confirming it's not just my setup!

Fan settings:
I wondered about the same thing.
Somehow you need to select the tctrl option, otherwise the CPU temperature is not taken into account.
It works for all my fans (1x4 pin CPU fan, 2x3 pin case fan)
Yeah, this isn't a big deal as I realised the Tctrl option does work as I needed; I was just curious what the difference was between "Monitor" CPU" and "Tctrl" as I assumed I would need to use "Monitor CPU" for temperature dependent fan profiles while "Tctrl" would be used to set a specific RPM regardless of temperature. 

Auto OC:
It think 1.4 is much to high.
I might have been very lucky but I set my CPU to 4000 MHz @ 1.275 Volts.

For testing:
Install AMD Ryzen Master, then slowly decrease the voltage with the tool.
Test with Prime95 for stability.
If you have found a good setting that does not crash, add another maybe 0.1 volts (for safety) and enter the values manually in the UEFI.

Maybe start with 3.9 (or 4.0) at 1.35 volts.

If game on you machine you might also consider to OC the GPU.
Mine runs at 1650 MHz @ 1.3 volts (I think I'm like there).
Start bit below that. You don't want to go above 1.3 volts.
Set the SOV voltage to 1.2, the GPU to 1.3 and increase the speed in 50 mhz steps.

Greetings from Gerrmany

To be clearer I haven't tried any manual overclocking yet. This PC is for living room use so both noise and power consumption are as important to me as performance. This is why I installed "overkill" liquid cooling on this build; even testing with p95 I haven't seen the CPU go over 72c and the radiator fan doesn't have to go above 50% to keep it there. It's while I was monitoring the temps/frequency in Ryzen Master that I also noticed the CPU voltage (it live updates all these values). I'm not experienced enough to know that these values should be but it did occur to me that, if my specific chip needs that voltage to maintain stability, that might be why it isn't taking advantage of Precision Boost/Core Boost or whether else AMD call their "Auto OC" functions? Like I said though, I don't know what frequncies I should be expecting without manual overclocking, so maybe it just doesn't go beyond the advertised speeds regardless of cooling (in which case AMD's marketing is even more unclear than I already knew when it comes to these features!).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic