ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't access bios, please help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tythefly86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't access bios, please help
    Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 1:58pm
Asrock z370 extreme4 w intel i58600k, 16gb ddr4, m.2 nvme ssd, gtx 1080

Yesterday I used my pc for many hours and it worked fine. It is a recent build that I have had running for about a month now with no issues. The only thing I installed yesterday was fanatec drivers for my csl elite steering wheel which went smoothly. This morning when i booted my pc, it hung on the Asrock Bios splash screen for about 60-90secs before booting into windows. following this, I did a system restore to before installing fanatec drivers and the problem still existed and would actually lock up and not make it into windows on the occasional boot. While this was happening, I was unable to access the bios  using f2/delete. 

The next steps I took was to reseat gpu, ram, all cables and to go over the hardware. following this the pc still hung on the asrock splash screen not letting me into the bios. I then tryed a different keyboard and every usb port available with no luck. I then tryed booting with the gpu out, using the onboard graphics and I still had the problem. I then looked up in the manual on how to clear the cmos and proceeded to do that.

Following the cmos jumping/clearing, I can still not access the bios and it will now not even eventually boot into windows like it did on occasion before I cleared the cmos. I have tryed testing power on all usb ports and they work and i had no issues when it went into windows before clearing the cmos so i don't believe its a usb/keyboard issue. 

What do i do now? the computer has been operating fine for almost a month and nothing big got changed yesterday when it was still working fine so I have no idea what would have caused this.. No matter what i seem to do, now my pc will only boot to the asrock splash screen, it won't allow me to access bios or anything else with the keyboard and after a little while, maybe 60-90secs it goes to a screen with a dash on it like this: -       or it just goes blank and in either case nothing happens, it will not boot to windows anymore. 

Please help
tythefly86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tythefly86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 5:02pm
I have since got windows running again by putting a usb stick into a usb port at boot and selecting my ssd when it gives me a boot option. 
I am now back to where i started this morning except now my cmos is cleared and my fans are all going to fast.
I assume I need a bios update??
Major problem: I cannot access the uefi/bios and I am sure its not my keyboard/usb as they work fine when in windows sign in and in windows and if I try to hit delete/f2 at the splash screen, the bios locks up and doesnt load into windows. If i boot and touch nothing, it sits on the asrock splash screen for about 60seconds or so until finally booting into windows sign in. 
Since i have got windows working again, I have also tried the application for asrock that is supposed to reboot you into the uefi but that doesn't work.
How do I go about accessing my uefi/bios?? Does this board need to be RMA'd?
I would really appreciate the help on this one, I have ran out of ideas for things I can try.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tythefly86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 10:43pm
I have since managed to upgrade the uefi to the latest firmware without using the keyboard and the motherboard auto booting into the flash utility when i had a usb drive with it on it at start up.

Since doing this the motherboard will still not respond to delete/f2 or anything for me to get into the bios/uefi ui so i can change my settings. I've tried different usb ports, different keyboards and these are all confirmed working when it goes into windows and on other computers... Please someone help here.. is my motherboard toast? 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:02am
Make sure all USB devices are disconnected, disconnect/remove any installed hard disks/M.2 devices and connect only your keyboard, mouse and monitor to the system. See if that will get you into the UEFI. 

If that still doesn't do the trick then follow the steps here to clear your CMOS fully:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal

Let us know how that goes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tythefly86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 8:10pm
Thank you very much for your help and reply. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try your methods though. Post trying I remembered I had the asrock "reboot to uefi" application on my desktop and seeing I had flashed the firmware since trying it and failing, i thought I would give it a go. What do you know it got me into the uefi, I disabled the csm boot support or whatever it's called (says to do it if having trouble with usb), then i disabled the boot manager and set up my uefi for the usual stuff like xmp profile for ram, fan profiles, etc and I really hope i do not jinx this by saying it too early..... but I believe I have fixed it. I have now had several boots where I can access the uefi with delete/f2 and the system is booting fast and not hanging on the asrock splash screen like it was..

Even though I didn't end up using your troubleshooting advice, I do appreciate it and it would of been the next thing I tryed for sure if this asrock application hadn't of worked.. Take care :)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 10:24pm
Great, glad you got it working Thumbs Up

You know where to find us if you have any more issues Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tythefly86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 12:54pm
Ummmm.. so I don't know what to do here. This issue keeps showing off and on no matter what i do. Yesterday all day it booted fast and let me into the uefi when needed but today I turn it on and the problem is back. Takes a good 60-90seconds on the splash screen, freezes up if i try to go into the uefi or it will eventually boot to windows after 90secs or so. Today when it didnt work, I noticed my rgb ram (gskill trident z) was doing it's colour cycle and not my profile so i had to run the software to put it back. Mind you I changed nothing yesterday and this happened on Friday as well. Basically it was fixed thursday night, then Friday it showed a few times again, then saturday fine and today it's back again. I have changed nothing since my last reply to you saying that I think it's fixed.. 

It most certainly is not fixed.. Have you got any ideas/suggestions of what it might be?
Once again I appreciate anyone's help here, I feel like I've exhausted all ideas on my end and it would be really helpful to have people throw some ideas my way.. I have a feeling the motherboard is the issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic