ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z370 Gaming K6: VCCIO and VCCSA Voltages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinfinitypoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z370 Gaming K6: VCCIO and VCCSA Voltages
    Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 4:37pm
I just had a simple question, why does the VCCIO voltage on the Z370 Gaming K6 board become red @1.15 volts, and normal below that?  I've heard that as long as VCCIO is below 1.2 V everything should be fine.  If I set the voltage to auto AIDA64 reports it as 1.216 V, and in BIOS auto is set to 1.2 V (which makes sense).

Secondly, what are the max safe voltages for VCCIO and VCCSA on this board?  I've also read that VCCSA should be kept below ~1.25 V.

Also third, do the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages affect the core temperature during stability testing (or any load)?

Lastly how does VCCIO and VCCSA voltages affect memory tests, if at all?  A month ago I tested my new memory stick (4x16 GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB, 14-14-14-34 timing) at stock CPU speeds and everything was fine.  Today I tested it and actually had 3 errors over 2 passes of 4 total passes.

Edited by theinfinitypoint - 13 Sep 2018 at 4:49pm
Globespy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 12:37am
VCCIO effects memory and has an impact on system stability.
VCCSA can help with CPU overclocking, especially with 'borderline' stable overclocks - from my experience with multiple different motherboards (from numerous manufacturers), increasing VCCSA has an impact on VCORE.

I only recently moved to Coffee Lake from Skylake, although the architecture is an extension of Skylake (that includes Kaby Lake), but with Skylake VCCIO was usually in the 1.12 - 1.20 range and for higher overclocks VCCSA up to 1.25V
Some people have gone to 1.35V on VCCSA with Z370 boards, but it's generally felt that keeping both VCCSA and VCCIO below 1.25V is best practice - VCCIO in my usage is always lower than VCCSA. 
Usually 1.15-1.17 on VCCIO and 1.17-1.20 on VCCSA.

If you want to know the real voltage you should use a multimeter on the back side of the MB socket - there's plenty of videos on how to do this. Motherboard sensors an often be quite innacurate. 

If you are having memory issues, what are you using to test?
Memtest is still what I would consider the gold standard but needs to be run from a USB thumb drive in it's own boot environment.

Are you using XMP profile? Some memory is hit or miss and needs manual settings rather than the XMP settings. Seems I've known more people with issues using the Trident Z brand than most others.
Globespy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 1:55am
Originally posted by ikamasi2 ikamasi2 wrote:

With current speed of 4200MHz in dual-channel, CL16 (16-18-38-2) with lowered secondary timings my motherboard by auto settings sets me on these voltages 1,25V on VCCIO and 1,35V on VCCSA. But automatic doesnt work well here - with these voltages my system isnt fully stable (IO too low and SA too high). The best configuration with speed of RAMs Im currently using seems to be 1,29V VCCIO and 1,32V VCCSA. I also know when these voltages are too low but also too high it causes instability. But I would like to know if these voltages arenĀ“t already too high (especially about the VCCIO) for standard usage. If it would decrease CPU lifespan lets say for example from 25 years to 15-10 years that doesnt matter to me. But if CPU would get affected already like in 5 years by running these voltages then I would rather lower them and deal with a bit slower RAM speed. 

[malicious links removed by Moderator]

Sorry for the late post. 
I've been going down my own OC journey with this board - well, the z370 Extreme4 - but in the same ballpark as the Taichi - I just had no need for WiFi.

I never had issues with RAM stability, I just ran the XMP profile and it worked. But my RAM is only 3200Mhz.

As for the VCCIO and VCCSA, the 'auto' amounts are way too high IMO.
I found another user who used values that worked for me with my older z170x Skylake board, and since I am still using the same RAM I figured I would go backwards.
As you know less VCCSA in particular lowers vCore, so I am at 1.17 VCCSA and 1.14 VCCIO and just completed an 8 hour overnight stress test (8086K at 5.1Ghz across all cores and GTX1080ti at 2063Mhz) in Realbench, preceeded by a 4 hour Prime95 test.

I would say that your settings are definitely on the high end and I don't think they are what's causing your stability issues. Some RAM just doesn't play nice with certain boards and often down-clocking a little resolves the issues.
In all seriousness 4200Mhz DRAM isn't going to give you any noticeable performance boosts in every day usage (whether that's productivity or gaming), and you will only see a difference maybe in synthetics.
DRAM speeds have become a marketing gimmick - at the end of the day the CPU will always be the bottleneck as there's nothing that can keep up with DRAM speeds.

Linus Tech did a nice article on DRAM a while back which saved me a lot of money (and stability issues) going for lower speed (still overkill) DRAM:

As for longevity, I would not worry about it even at those values. I doubt you will have any issues even if you kept the PC for 10 years, but at the 5 year point it will be close to irrelevant to be honest, so beyond that you will be running into issues that are much more pressing than voltages.

Good luck!

Edited by Xaltar - 07 Nov 2018 at 5:14am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 5:17am
ikamasi2  has been banned for editing posts to insert malicious links. This is what I have had to deal with lately, dozens of them a day and it requires me to read through 40 - 50 posts a day to see what users are actually spammers posing as legitimate users with issues. Every last one of their posts needs to be deleted.

The worst part is that it takes time I could be spending trying to help users to deal with problems.

Edited by Xaltar - 07 Nov 2018 at 5:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic