ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with N68-S UCC, CPU and RAM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
PeLLe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeLLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with N68-S UCC, CPU and RAM
    Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 4:46pm
Thank for your answers.
I remember that the voltage that supply the ram is automatically set in the BIOS.
If i choose the manual setting, the voltage is between 1.794V and 2.212V.

Can i try to increase the voltage above 1.8V (actual voltage from CPUZ)?

It would be useful to update the BIOS or it is risky and harmful?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 1:28am
The maximum amount of memory your board and CPU can use is 8GB. Using 8GB of memory, as you are trying to do, is putting the maximum amount of stress on your system's memory controller.

Did you try increasing the memory voltage with your new memory? That is the first thing I would do.

If your BIOS has other options for voltages related to memory, increasing those might also help make your memory more stable.

It is normal for any memory to run at a lower speed than its maximum with the default memory settings in the BIOS. That is done to allow the memory to work with as many systems as possible, including those that cannot run the memory at its fastest speed. We always will need to manually set the memory speed to its maximum value, by selecting the XMP profile for example, if the memory has one.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 9:45pm
The RAM is obviously not fully compatible with your motherboard. If you have gotten both modules to function correctly at DDR2 667 then I would just use them at that frequency. It is likely that the timings are not being set correctly for the lower and higher frequencies. 

If you really want to get it working at DDR2 800 then you can try manually setting the timings according to the RAM's specifications. In all honesty though you will not notice any real difference between DDR2 667 and DDR2 800.
PeLLe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeLLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 9:26pm
Hi guys.
Sorry for my bad english but i'm difficult in this language. I'm an italian guy.

8 years ago i assembled my desktop PC with this specification:
- CPU: AMD Athlon x64 dual core 6000+
- MOTHERBOARD: Asus M2N4-SLI
- RAM: 2x1GB DDR2 PC-6400 Kingstone (800MHz)
- HDD: Maxtor 160GB + Maxtor 250 GB
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS
- SO: Windows XP  Professional 32bit

4 years ago the motherboard and the GPU broke, so i bought a new motherboards and GPU. The last configuration of my PC is this:
- CPU: AMD Athlon x64 dual core 6000+
- MOTHERBOARD: AsRock N68-S UCC
- RAM: 2x1GB DDR2 PC-6400 Kingstone (800MHz)
- HDD: Maxtor 160GB + Maxtor 250 GB
- GPU: Zotac GeForce GT620
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I use the programs that use a lot of ram, for example Adobe Lightroom, or Adobe Photoshop, etc. So i thought to increase the ram onboard and i bought 2x4GB DDR2 PC-6400 800MHz ram.
I did these tests:
1) I put 2 sticks of ram into the DDR2 slots. I started the PC and windows has loaded correctly. After 10 minutes windows crashed.
2) I removed 1 stick of ram into. I started the PC and windows has loaded correctly. After 10 minutes windows crashed.
In the two tests above the data bus frequency it was set automatically by the bios. The effective data bus frequency was 266MHz (533MHz). This value is below the maximum of possibilities of operation of the ram.

3) I change manually the data bus frequency into the bios. I set frequency to 400MHz (800MHz) with only 1 stick of ram applied. In this case the SO is not crashed for at least ten hours.

4) I applied the second stick of ram (the bus frequency is still set manually at 400MHz (800MHz)). In this case the PC starts successfully, but the SO is not loaded). After 4 reboot the situation has not changed.

5) I formatted the HDD and reinstall Windows 64 bit ultimate and the situation has not changed (the PC starts successfully, but the SO is not loaded).

6) I change the data bus frequency to automatically. The PC starts successfully and after 10 minutes windows crashed.

7) I change manually the data bus frequency to 333MHz (667 MHz). In this case the SO is not crashed for at least ten hours with 2 sticks of ram (tot: 8GB).

The version of the bios is 1.50.
Are there a problems to the latency times or other parameters?
What do you think? 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic