ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z370 extreme 4 - Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z370 extreme 4 - Help
    Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:32am
I'm a fairly experienced OC'er and have some strange observations with this board.

i7 8086k on Corsair 150i Pro
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz
850W EVGA G3 PSU
Gigabyte GTX1080ti Extreme Edition

I usually start my OC'ing by using fixed mode voltage vCore, then set an offset (adaptive)
I disabled MCE, but like to have my OC on all cores - there's a performance boost, it stresses the stability of the OC more and I don't care about increased power usage :)
This is a gaming PC, not a web browsing desktop.

I use mainly Realbench as my main stress test app as I believe it best represents my main usage - gaming.
I was able to get to 5Ghz at 1.34V (fixed) using LLC1, and it has ran like this for several months without any issue whatsoever.

But I prefer to have the voltage lower when the PC isn't doing anything for obvious reasons.
But when moving to offset mode (still keeping LLC1) I can't get it stable, even when the offset is providing upto 1.39v
This makes absolutely no sense to me at all and hoping someone can help.

Also, I can get stable at 5.1Ghz at 1.36v (again only on fixed voltage using LLC1), but I saw some very odd anomalies in HWInfo - there was a voltage spike during a RealBench run to 1.644V which is obviously scary under standard commercial water cooler. 
No idea why this value (max of course) would be there since the average was 1.355v - I thought LLC1 was designed to avoid large voltage spikes?
Could this be just a fault of HWinfo?

Appreciate any input.
Thanks.

sherpagoodness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sherpagoodness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:03am
I had the same issue when I was starting out, everything I was reading and then people referencing how asus motherboards OC was very misleading. I have a very similar setup; 8086k with vengence 3000 bdie and evga 280 aio on z370 extreme4. I eventually managed some 5ghz all core stability with a negative offset and LLC5 and have since gotten it stable with -.8 and LLC2 I believe. LLC5 will keep the voltage from spiking so much, if you look at their visual representation 5 has the most drop off.

Edited by sherpagoodness - 06 Nov 2018 at 10:04am
Globespy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 1:42am
Thanks Sherpa.
5Ghz is possible in 92% of 8086K chips according to a studied review so no issues on that, and I think (got the voltage stable lower) at 1.328V at 5Ghz on all cores that's not bad. Just completed 8 hour overnight stress tests on Realbench without issue and 4 hours Prime95 without issue and temps in mid 70's.
5.1Ghz at 1.36v is also way better than the majority of CPU's - the article I read suggested most needed 1.4v to achieve stability at 5.1Ghz.

It's going beyond that where things get wacky.
Since I'm pretty certain my sample is a good one, I should be able to get stable at 1.4v at 5.2 ghz since that voltage doesn't cause issues with thermals (highest is 91C - on the higher end but still well within specifications for Coffee-Lake).

I am on BIOS 3.10 - can anyone who's into overclocking let me know if older BIOS are better for pushing the upper limits? My board came with 3.10 already installed.
Globespy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globespy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 1:43pm
BTW - you said LLC5 on the AsRock boards is good for stopping voltage spikes?
The BIOS description would seen to indicate the opposite? LLC1 being the most stable with little variation from what you set?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic