ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ve3ry quiet CPU cooler for FM2A88X-ITX+

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barraclm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ve3ry quiet CPU cooler for FM2A88X-ITX+
    Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 5:07am
I am looking for recommendations for a very quiet (silent?) CPU cooler for my FM2A88X-ITX+ motherboard. I wanted to use the Noctua DH15 but their compatibility chart says that this motherboard is not compatible.
barraclm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barraclm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 5:09am
I should have said that the CPU is AMD A-10 7870K
Rabiddog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabiddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 7:26am
Originally posted by barraclm barraclm wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for a very quiet (silent?) CPU cooler for my FM2A88X-ITX+ motherboard. I wanted to use the Noctua DH15 but their compatibility chart says that this motherboard is not compatible.
I use the first version of this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134&cm_re=FANS-_-35-186-134-_-Product

Have had it for about 7 8 years,from a duel core,up too my FX x6 @ 4.4,keeps it nice and cool,dont hear it  at all,keeps mine nice and cool thru and thru,,,,
you can see it here in this thread.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=928&title=the-990fx-fatal1ty-killer

Edited by Rabiddog - 14 Oct 2015 at 7:27am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:48pm
Since your board is so small, many CPU coolers will not be compatible since they will block various things on the board like memory slots and even power cable connections.

Quiet CPU coolers tend to be large, the Noctua NH-D15 and NH-D14 would cover about 50% of your board. The CPU cooler that is right for you depends upon several factors.

• What is the purpose of your PC? General usage? Over clocking? Gaming? Specialized tasks?
  • What is the main factor you want from a CPU cooler? Quietness? Cooling ability?
  • What PC case will you be using? How many fans will be used in the PC case?
  • Are you using the integrated graphics, or a separate video card?
  • Are you willing to compromise quietness for somewhat higher CPU temperatures?
  • Will a large CPU cooler interfere with changing hardware in the PC, if you do that often?
Your CPU is a 95W TDP processor, the maximum supported by your board. So you will need at least an above average cooler even at stock clocks, if you plan on gaming or doing CPU intensive tasks.

You said quiet is a significant factor for your, so we know that, but more information from answering my questions will be helpful.
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:37pm
Go with the Raijintek Ereboss, You should be good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z28G6520
990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
Rabiddog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabiddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by ASRock Expert ASRock Expert wrote:

Go with the Raijintek Ereboss, You should be good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z28G6520
Way too big.
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 10:38pm
It will fit. :)
990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
Rabiddog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabiddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 6:37am
Originally posted by ASRock Expert ASRock Expert wrote:

It will fit. :)
yes,it will fit just fine,but dont think the board will work too well with a brick covering the RAM slots,and first from Asia....
barraclm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barraclm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 7:27am
The PC will be used for multiple things but very little gaming if any. I tend to have a lot of apps open concurrently. My biggest users of the processing power are probably video editing and SQL database queries.

I am willing to pay to get both cooling and quietness but if I have to chose then i guess cooling is most important. However, I am hoping that I will not be using the CPU too much so less cooling is needed and therefore quietness become most important. 

The case is a Cooler Master Elite 130 which has 2 fans + the CPU fan. The PSU (beQuiet! 600W) fan is definitely quiet. If the other fans are noisy then I will replace them with less noisy fans.

I am using an APU but the motherboard and PSU allow me to upgrade to a separate video card if I find graphics problems.

A large CPU Cooler should not be an issue as long as it is effective and can avoid the RAM (and anything else). The only reason for opening the case should be to clean the inside.

Rabiddog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabiddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 10:23am
Originally posted by barraclm barraclm wrote:

The PC will be used for multiple things but very little gaming if any. I tend to have a lot of apps open concurrently. My biggest users of the processing power are probably video editing and SQL database queries.

I am willing to pay to get both cooling and quietness but if I have to chose then i guess cooling is most important. However, I am hoping that I will not be using the CPU too much so less cooling is needed and therefore quietness become most important. 

The case is a Cooler Master Elite 130 which has 2 fans + the CPU fan. The PSU (beQuiet! 600W) fan is definitely quiet. If the other fans are noisy then I will replace them with less noisy fans.

I am using an APU but the motherboard and PSU allow me to upgrade to a separate video card if I find graphics problems.

A large CPU Cooler should not be an issue as long as it is effective and can avoid the RAM (and anything else). The only reason for opening the case should be to clean the inside.

If you are not going to O/C or game.
The stock heatsink will be just fine for day to day use with 2 case fans in that small box.
That or the cooler I suggested,shouldnt cover your RAM slots up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic