ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty 990fx no CPU or CHA fans working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel.allemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty 990fx no CPU or CHA fans working
    Posted: 08 May 2015 at 9:25am
So I bought a Fatal1ty 990fx AM3+ in late january and within the last month I've had not 1 but 3 separate CHA and CPU fan prongs on the actual board go. No power to multiple fans and having to rely on 2 alternate chassis fans to cool my system. Has this been an issue with these boards that has been known (bios issue or just faulty board?) and is there any work around other than simply plugging them directly into my power supply and not being able to regulate them?
Shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 11:29am
Have you tried reloading the BIOS? Also, try these steps before doing so if you haven't.

1) Remove all the motherboard power connections and fans connections
2) Find the CMOS reset jumper and set it to clear
3) Reconnect the whole system and power on (you should get a message about your CMOS being cleard or something to that effect)
4) Power off and reset the CMOS jumper to the "Normal" position
5) Power on and check to see if the fans are now working correctly
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by daniel.allemi daniel.allemi wrote:

So I bought a Fatal1ty 990fx AM3+ in late january and within the last month I've had not 1 but 3 separate CHA and CPU fan prongs on the actual board go. No power to multiple fans and having to rely on 2 alternate chassis fans to cool my system. Has this been an issue with these boards that has been known (bios issue or just faulty board?) and is there any work around other than simply plugging them directly into my power supply and not being able to regulate them?

The CPU and Chassis fan headers that apparently failed on your board were working at one time, correct?

Fans connected to these headers no longer spin up at all, correct? Did the fans just not start running one day, or you noticed they were not running suddenly?

You mentioned the "prongs" on the fan headers, which is just your description of these connectors, rather than one or more of the pins breaking off the board, correct?

What fans were you using on these fan headers when you noticed them no longer running? The make (such as Cooler Master, Noctua, etc), size and model numbers would be helpful to know.

I imagine you've tried changing the fan speed options in the BIOS for these fan headers.

Clearing the BIOS as suggested above does not involve starting the board with the CMOS jumper in the Clear position. That is not a special procedure for a CMOS/BIOS clear. The board may not even POST with the jumper in the clear position.

The board may be faulty, but more information about your fans will help with that question.

I've personally never seen fan headers on a board fail, and very rarely see posts in forums about failed fan headers. I don't recall any threads about fan header failures for your board. It is still possible, and if that is the case you may be able to RMA your board which should be within the warranty period.

Otherwise a standard work around would be using a separate fan controller mounted in your PC case. There are many types of these controllers available.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic