ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi x399 + TR 1900x. Fixed RAM + FAN issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yada42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi x399 + TR 1900x. Fixed RAM + FAN issues
    Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 7:33am
Hi all,

Just thought that I should share my experiences seting up an x399 Taichi in hope that it may help others.

Hardware
MB : Tachi x399
CPU : TR 1900X
RAM : G.Skill Flare X, 32GB, 2400 CL 15
CPU Fan : Noctua NH U14S TR4-SP3 (+ Arctic Silver heat compond)
Chassie Fan 1, Out (at the back) : Noctua 120 mm, probably NF-F12
Chassie Fan 2 + 3, In (at the front) : 2 * Noctua 140 mm, probably NF-A14
Gfx card : MSI AMD 580X, 8GB
Power : Corsair RM850x
Chassie : Fractal Design Define C TG

With the exceptions of RAM and CPU, this is the setup I had originally planned. Because of events outside my control, I couldn't wait any longer for lower RAM & CPU prices. Final config will probably be 64GB 3200, CL14 and TR2970 or some future TR39XX.

No direct issues mounting all the pieces. The regular set of power cables delivered with the power unit are a bit stiff so no brute force. If money isn't that important, individually sleeved cables is a plus.

RAM Issues
Bioses above 2.30 seems to have issues with memory instability. My take on it is that the bios fails to aknowledge the (slow) RAM timings all the way through the boot process. Before downgrading from Bios 3.30 to 2.30 I got all kinds of POST errors and also memory errors after OS boot. Typical errors you get when pushing the RAM timings too much. Bios 3.20 had similar issues. After downgrading Bios to 2.30 I did the following:

1) Booted into UEFI setup (If you cant get past POST, insert only 2 DIMMs, clear CMOS and try again).
2) In UEFI setup, OC Tweaker, I changed XMP Profile to XMP 2.0 from Auto.
3) Saved configuration & rebooted.

Everything has been rock solid ever since.

Fans
As many others have noted, it can be tricky to setup the fans. 1st, the CPU reports temperatures that are 27 centigrades above the actual temperature (someone must have made an Elon Musk). 2nd, there are at least 2 kinds of CPU temperature sensors to deal with - the one(s) on the silicon dies and the one(s) on the motherboard. In short, my UEFI settings (H/W Monitor) are:

CPU Cooler fan (In my case connected to CPU Fan 1)
Temp source : Monitor Tctrl (Silicon die sensor. Reports actual temp + 27 centigrades)
Temp 1 : 65 (= 38 C)
Duty 1 : 45 %
Temp 2 : 72 (= 45 C)
Duty 2 : 75 %
Temp 3 : 79 (= 52 C)
Duty 3 : 100 %
Temp 4 : 80
Duty 4 : 100 %
Critical temp : 84

CPU Optional Fan (Not used in my setup)

Chassis Fan 1 (120 mm Output fan at the back of the cassie)
Temp source : Monitor CPU (Motherboard sensor. Reports actual temp)
Temp 1 : 30 C
Duty 1 : 30 %
Temp 2 : 36 C
Duty 2 : 55 %
Temp 3 : 43 C
Duty 3 : 88 %
Temp 4 : 50 C
Critical Temp 75

Chassis Fan 2 (140 mm Input fan. Mounted at lower front position)
Duty 1 : 27 %
Temp 2 : 38 C
Duty 2 : 50 %
Temp 3 : 55 C
Duty 3 : 100 %
Temp 4 : 75 C
Duty 4 : 100%
Critical Temp 75

Chassis Fan 3 (140 mm Input fan. Mounted at upper front position)
Duty 1 : 30 %
Temp 2 : 36 C
Duty 2 : 54 %
Temp 3 : 45 C
Duty 3 : 90 %
Temp 4 : 60 C
Critical temp : 75 C

Thats it. Some words about the config. The CPU cooler fan has a constant speed up to the threshold of 38 C. The reason is that minor CPU temp/load fluctuations won't trigger constant up/down revings of the fan. Above 38 C it ramps up quite quickly to handle prolonged CPU loads.

The output fan (Chassie 1) ramps up faster than the input fans to better match the ramp of the CPU cooler fan. The upper input fan has a somewhat steeper profile than the lower input fan. The reason being that the upper fan provides new, cool air directly to the CPU cooler fan whereas the lower fan is a bit of an overkill configuration.

I tested this setup on Linux using the programs psensor (sensor monitor) and stress (CPU stress test program). The psensor program also requires the lm-sensors package in order to detect all available sensors. The result is a very quite computer when doing no work and when the CPU is loaded the noise is entirely managable. The default fan settings in UEFI were, on the other hand, horrible. CPU silicon die sensor maxes out at 59 C and the mother board CPU temp sensor maxes out at 39 C.

I had the intention of attaching a screen shot of the fan vs temp responses but direct file attachment of images doesn't seem to be supported by the forum .

Cheers
/Nils
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic