ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need Advice: Z390 Taichi or Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Advice: Z390 Taichi or Z390 Phantom Gaming 6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Advice: Z390 Taichi or Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
    Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 4:04pm
I'm building a new rig to upgrade the i5 760 2.8GHZ (OC'd 4.01GHz) that I've been enjoying since 2010 before we started having kids and I knew I'd have no money for a long time. This computer has served me well but it's time for an upgrade.

I've pretty much settled on the i7-9700K w/ Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory, but I don't know which motherboard to put them in.

My research has brought me to ASRock, who I have no experience with, but the reviews are great. I've narrowed my choices down to the Taichi LGA 1151 and the Phantom Gaming 6. With a $40 difference, I can't really see much difference besides the built in WiFi USB 3.1 counts, and the 2.5GB/s LAN. Seeing as how I build these things for the long haul, I'd like to get as much performance out of my rig as possible and $40 isn't worth squabbling over.

Can anyone offer any advice here on which may be better suited for a rig that will be used 95% of the time for gaming?

Also, I'm up for changing the CPU and/or memory if someone is convincing :)

Thanks guys,
Houston
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 12:56am
It's pretty simple really

Taichi: General purpose all-rounder, top notch quality minimal extraneous features.
Gaming 6: Gaming focused with features designed to compliment gaming workloads.

Generally I find the Gaming 6 and Taichi are very similar component wise. You should be more than happy with either. You should be fine with the cheaper option, put the extra toward taking your kids out for ice-cream
hootie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 3:08pm
Thanks Xaltar. I?™m glad to see I?™m not crazy and they are very comparable. To be honest, I like the extra USB ports and the Wi-Fi. I have an Oculus Rift with three sensors, so that?™s four USB ports used up right out of the gate. Then there?™s the Keyboard, Mouse. etc. they go fast, even with my USB hub.

Obviously I could buy an add in card, but then there?™s the cost savings eaten up.

The Wi-Fi is nice for when Comcast goes out and I need to tether to my phone, but that is rare.

Then there?™s the 2.5GB NIC on the gaming. I really don?™t get that. My current board is the ASUS p7p55d with a 1Gb NIC that I run cat.6 to my router and I?™m still bottlenecked by my 300Mbs Comcast connection. What are gamers using 2.5Gbs for? Or rather, how are they utilizing it? I don?™t want to miss out on extreme awesomeness if I go with the Taichi.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 3:45pm
The Gaming model has some special sauce in the LAN firmware that prioritizes "gameing" packets as far as I remember but I believe you need to install and use the driver package specifically for this functionality. I have never used it on any of my gaming boards. The 2.5gbs LAN is useful in more professional settings (E-Sports contests, gaming teams etc). Most regular users don't have the infrastructure to use it. It requires a 2.5, 5 or 10gbs router/switch capable of "multi-gigabit" functionality. Your typical router/switch (that supports 10gbs) will only operate in 10gbs or 1gbs modes, multi-gigabit allows 2.5 and 5gbs modes to function. The advantage of 2.5gbs is that it only requires Cat5e or Cat6 so there is no need to upgrade cables (which can be costly).

If you have no intention of upgrading your router or purchasing a compatible switch, I believe there are some 2.5 and 5gbs models available, then 2.5gb LAN is not going to be of any real use to you. For future-proofing however you may find a use for it down the line. At present, I find gigabit LAN more than enough as I am unable to saturate it with my internet connection anyway.

As for Wifi, that is generally something that will be useful or not depending on your needs. I typically go with a cheap USB wireless stick when needed as it saves cost and I can swap them into multiple machines.

Edited by Xaltar - 29 Jan 2019 at 3:46pm
hootie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 10:00am
I agree about the network port and Wi-Fi. I have a Gb Nighthawk ac2600 that I?™m pretty fond of.

If the $30 difference vs those two items are really the only difference I?™m thinking I?™ll go with the Taichi for the extra usb?™s. But if the phantom overclocks better or has more... somethings-I-don?™t-quite-understand-yet, I?™d rather get it now, and learn about those something?™s while reading the manual, instead of getting the lesser board and learning those something?™s the hard way.

I appreciate all your help. I really enjoy this stuff, it?™s just been a long time since I read about it and so much has changed since 2010.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:34pm
Between those 2 boards overclocking should be near enough identical. I tend to lean toward the Taichi as it has less frills and fuss which to me always translates to less to go wrong
hootie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 11:55am
You sold me! Thanks. It'll take me a few weeks to start ordering and get everything together. I'll post back here when it's done. Appreciate your help.
hootie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 2:11pm
I decided to go with the Z390 Taichi, i7-9700K, Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz and Samsung 970 Evo M2. I have to say that the M.2 nvme pcie ssd has been the biggest surprise. It's insanely fast.

Without overclocking yet I go from the end of the bios loading and fully into Windows in about 7 seconds. I have been very pleased. Now if I can just figure out how this bios works, I'll be in overclocker's heaven I think.
hootie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:20pm
So right now I'm a little disappointed because even though this machine is smoking my i5 760, I still see the 3.6GHz and non XMP Memory Speed in Windows. The BIOS looks like it is going to be good, then I get to windows and nothing I am doing in the BIOS (aside from setting the voltage to Fixed 1.35V) seems to be making it through to Windows. Advice?

I've tried many different variations of the image below, but not had any luck. Is there a simple guide on this forums anyone is aware of that could get me started? I want to learn more about overclocking these newer BIOS's, but I seem to be stuck at the starting at atm.

Thanks in advance,
Houston
javierc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javierc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by hootie hootie wrote:

I've tried many different variations of the image below, but not had any luck. Is there a simple guide on this forums anyone is aware of that could get me started? I want to learn more about overclocking these newer BIOS's, but I seem to be stuck at the starting at atm.

Thanks in advance,
Houston

Hi Hootie.

I am thinking to buy the model Taichi extreme or Phantom X but I read in Tomshardware Taichi model not is the best for overclock and they say Phantom is a few better.

Do you can solve the problem? Wich was the results?

Best regards

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic