ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

N68-S support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 3:03pm
Very curious the X2 560 was skipped over in the CPU support list. There must be a reason.

The X2 560 is one of the "unlock two core to four core" processors, and one of the more popular and successful versions of that type. The X2 565 was not as good for unlocking to four cores.

The N68-S board does not have the ASRock UCC feature, correct? UCC is Unlock CPU Cores.

The N68SC-UCC version of this board has the UCC feature, as well as a stronger CPU VRM stage.

Perhaps the X2 560 could be unlocked to four cores with a BIOS modification, which I read had it up to 140W TDP. The N68-S board cannot handle that power demand.
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 3:50pm
They look exactly the same, like the 880G Extreme3 and the 890GX Extreme3,
and cross-bios-flash works.

I would cross-flash it with the N68-S UCC:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-S%20UCC/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 4:26pm
I would never recommend cross flashing, especially here on the official ASRock forums. Its something I may try myself out of interest but I strongly advise against it for anyone not experienced with flashing and the precautions necessary. 

The only time I would advise a cross flash is if ASRock_TSD (tech support) say that it will work and to do it.

ASRock Expert does not work for ASRock, he is a regular forum member the same as you. I am in no way insulting him, his forum name however can lead to confusion. Only forum members with 4 or more stars are moderators or representatives of ASRock, like Tech support and News etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 4:41pm
Yup, i'm not working for ASRock in any way - but I have done cross-flashing myself
and sometimes I mod BIOS-es for myself. I'm not responsible for any "dead" EEPROM
done by cross-flashing.

But on the good side - ASRock EEPROM chip is easy replaceable with a new one,
provided by ASRock TSD. They are not hard soldered on the MBO, and thats one of my
favorite ASRock features on they boards.
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by ASRock Expert ASRock Expert wrote:

But on the good side - ASRock EEPROM chip is easy replaceable with a new one,
provided by ASRock TSD. They are not hard soldered on the MBO, and thats one of my
favorite ASRock features on they boards.

I love this too, although other manufacturers also do it I have noticed ASRock seem to be very good with getting you a new chip. BIOS modding can be a lot of fun for those with the skills to do it but it isn't for the feint of heart or the amateur Wink 

Also just a little FYI, the 2 boards pictured are not in fact identical, they use different caps and power delivery, there is also an additional IC just under the socket as well as it's supporting resistors and caps etc.

Edited by Xaltar - 27 Oct 2015 at 5:00pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 5:50pm
I have worked with many ASRock ITC CPU on-board MBO's,
and some recent have the EEPROM hard soldered.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/N3150DC-ITX/index.us.asp

AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 7:09pm
Lets try and keep the thread on topic please.

In summation, do not attempt to cross flash your bios with one from a similar board, it most likely will brick the board (make it unusable entirely). If you were to brick the board however, you can purchase a new BIOS chip from ASRock directly that will get you up and running again. 

I sometimes order a spare for my systems anyway then mess about with things like cross flashing etc but I am a professional and know what I am doing Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic