ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

G3258 Overclock Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 3:42pm
The no file found in Instant Flash makes no sense, as long as you have downloaded the BIOS update file designed to work with Instant Flash, there are two others update types. I still suggest using Instant Flash.

It sounds like you have downloaded the correct Instant Flash file version, which you unzipped and then copied the unzipped file to the base folder of the USB flash drive, correct.

Did you put the USB flash drive in one of the USB 2.0 ports on your board's IO panel on the back of the PC?

Do not use
any USB hubs or any other USB ports, including USB 3.0 ports.

Otherwise, are you aware that H81 chipset boards do not allow over clocking of any processor?

Only Intel 'Z' chipset boards allow over clocking.

A while ago ASRock and other manufactures had a "non-Z" OC feature in a BIOS update for some of their boards. That allowed those boards to OC processors, which they had never been able to do before. That was removed later with a BIOS update, as Intel considers that "illegal". There is even a Windows update that also removes that capability on non-Z chipset boards, like your H81.

If you happen to be able to OC with your board (see below), do not apply any BIOS version beyond version 2.00, just to be safe. 2.01 and 2.10 may be fine, 2.20 definitely not. The 2.20 BIOS has the non-Z OC feature override microcode. Once applied, it can't be changed without a modified BIOS file, if that would even work.

You should also shut off automatic Windows updates, and find the update code so you won't ever apply it. I don't recall the code, sorry to say. No idea what version of Windows you use, but it is possible that update has already been applied.

In the OC Tweaker screen, do you have an option for Turbo Boost? Yes I know the G3258 does not have Turbo according to the specs, and it doesn't. That does not matter, trust me.

If you have a Turbo Boost option in the BIOS, Enable it. Without Turbo being Enabled, you cannot OC a G3258 on any board. If you have that option now, no need for a BIOS update.

If you do not have a Turbo Boost option in your BIOS, you cannot OC any processor, period, end of story, sorry to say.

Sometimes a board will have a BIOS version from the factory that was not released publicly. Nothing to worry about.

modal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 11:11pm
Many thanks for the fast replies, gentlemen. 

I am very sorry, a short while ago I found that I incorrectly identified my motherboard. 

My motherboard is in fact H81M-ITX/WiFi, not H81M-ITX.  My sincere apologies to all posters who replied! 

The suffix "WiFi" really matters!  I downloaded the wrong BIOS (of H81M-ITX without WiFi), so that is the reason why the BIOS Instant Flash always showed "Image File Not Detected" because my motherboard is H81M-ITX with WiFi, am I right?

Obviously I have the latest BIOS ver. 1.40 (8/6/2015), which has implemented "Update Microcode 19", and this update prevents overclocking Pentium G3258, yes?  So if I want to overclock my Pentium G3258, what I need to do first is to downgrade my BIOS from 1.40 to 1.30 (9/12/2014)?  My OS is Win 8.1.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-ITXWiFi/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

I am rushing to work now, don't have time to work on the BIOS this morning.  Would like to gather more info before doing so in the near future.  Advice is much appreciated, thanks so much again, needless to say: a great ASRock forum here!

Edited by modal - 12 Nov 2015 at 2:33am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 11:27pm
If that board ever supported non-Z overclocking then yes you would need to revert to the earlier BIOS. From what I have been seeing it seems that the downgrade method has worked for some people but any time there is a microcode update there is always a chance that the change is permanent without a custom BIOS as Parsec mentioned. If the downgrade does not work then I am afraid you are out of luck as ASRock is not allowed to provide you with a modified BIOS to enable non-Z overclocking as per their agreement with intel. 
modal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 9:19am
I have successfully downgraded the BIOS ver. 1.40 to 1.30 using Instant Flash in the UEFI.

I am happy to report that OC is available for Pentium G3258 on my motherboard H81M-ITX/WiFi with the BIOS ver. 1.30, and OC is now working.

parsec, with BIOS ver. 1.30, I do not see the Turbo Boost option on OC Tweaker screen, however I did see this option available on BIOS ver. 1.40.

Instead of the Turbo Boost option, the 1st feature that comes with BIOS ver. 1.30 is Non-Z OC, there are 5 different options: Disabled, 3.8GHz, 4.0GHz, 4.2GHz, 4.4Ghz.  I have tried 3.8GHz & 4.0GHz, A-Tuning and CPU-Z clearly show these OC'ed core speeds with small temperature difference on CPU (50~55C).  Also, the core speed varies (with the OC'ed core speed as max) as seen on both software, perhaps it is because I enabled the Intel Speedstep option in UEFI.

On the System Info screen of A-Tuning, Vcore Volt. & Vcore Override Volt. are both about 1.200 V.  CPU Input Volt. is 1.720+ V.

Interestingly, I am not able to change the core speed by using software A-Tuning, so far I can only OC in UEFI BIOS.

Thanks everyone for providing helpful advice.

Edited by modal - 12 Nov 2015 at 1:06pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 2:28pm
Thanks for letting us know that downgrading the BIOS allowed OCing on your board again Smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic