ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - UEFI M2 NVME boot hangs loading kernel on X399 MB
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFI M2 NVME boot hangs loading kernel on X399 MB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cfgauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UEFI M2 NVME boot hangs loading kernel on X399 MB
    Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 8:06am
I have a ASRock X399 Professional Gaming MB and have filled all 3 NVME slots with Intel 660p M.2 2280 NVMes. I'm attempting to install Gentoo Linux using NVMes only. The MB recognizes the NVMes and I have no trouble partitioning them (gpt/UEFI) according to the Gentoo Handbook. I've created an LVM volume from the last partition of the first NVMe and the remaining two NVMes which I intend to mount as root. Grub does boot from the /boot partition on the first NVMe and hangs when loading the kernel. No diagnostic info appears on the framebuffer console.

I'm trying to determine if the problem is with the NVMes (the MB can't boot from this brand of NVMe) or the grub/Gentoo/software side.

Many thanks for any insights.
cfgauss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cfgauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 6:30am
The box does boot from the NVMe /boot partition and does load the LVM volume composed of NVMes. The problem was in grub2/kernel configuration. Details are at http://bit.ly/2GRNGyr.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic