ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review of my first Asrock motherboard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jinjervitus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review of my first Asrock motherboard
    Posted: 11 May 2019 at 11:32am
x470 Taichi, paired with 2700x. Also, BeQuiet 550w gold PSU, gtx1060 6GB, 32GB (2x16) CL14 B-die, and a bunch of storage; m.2 nvme pcie 3.0, ssd, and some hdds.

My old x370 Asus board just gave up one day and I decided to try a different manufacturer. My scouting gave me the impression that Asrocks bios was not the most polished, and in fact, that it was downright buggy and temperamental. The board shipped with 1.60 and I assembled and dove right in. I have to say the bios is pretty bad. You can mostly get what you want out of it, but it takes getting used to, and some things just don't work. It's kind of pathetic compared to the smooth, functional uefi interface I was used to from Asus.

Having said that. I flashed to 1.62 and after some frustration I was able to get my system to a very stable and pleasing state. With PBO/XFR, and between voltage offsets, LLC and fan curves, My CPU will do 4GHz all core under full load, and will boost single cores to 4.3. Temps get a bit warm under synthetic torture tests, but it is HOT where I live, and I'm not sure that will translate into real-use issues. If I start running into issues with throttling, and lower boosts don't handle it, I will turn XFR off and hopefully that will do the trick. If I turn Cool and Quiet off, it goes to straight all-core 4.399! I use both Win10 and Linux equally and the board supports either OS perfectly.

So, the bios is ugly and frustrating to use, BUT, it mostly functions for all the important stuff and I don't overclock manually. PBO/XFR work better on this board, letting my CPU boost more than on my old Asus board. I was never one to update every time a new bios comes out, so I'm happy having one that works well. All in all, worth it. I would defintely buy Asrock again, as long as the bios situation doesn't deteriorate any further. Money well spent.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic