ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z170 Pro4 Windows 8 64bit Drivers causing crash
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Pro4 Windows 8 64bit Drivers causing crash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycius84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Pro4 Windows 8 64bit Drivers causing crash
    Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 1:28am
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help. I recently purchased the Z170 Pro4 motherboard and went through installing Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. 

I've tried using the Windows 8 LAN drivers on the site which Windows 8 accepts but when the PC connects to the internet it gives me a BSOD screen after a few minutes (less than 5 minutes). If I unplug the LAN cord to not allow Windows 8 to connect to the internet I can run the computer for hours without issues (other than not being able to update the PC so that  can install WIndows 10).

Can someone please assist?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 3:56am
You can try uninstall the drivers then install the ones directly from intel and see if they work. So far as I am aware though they should be exactly the same. Just click the embedded link and it will take you to the intel download page for your LAN.
Lycius84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycius84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 4:39am
Thank you Xaltar. I will give this a try and give an update.
Lycius84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycius84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 6:40am
Update. So I installed the drivers from the site and the issue persists. I've been doing some other troubleshooting (specifically with the RAM) to make sure it's not the Lan drivers. I'm running a memtest to see if it detects any ram errors.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 11:54am
I actually prefer the earlier Intel 20.2 network driver for Windows 8/8.1, and particularly for Windows 10. Windows 10 created some problems with the Intel network driver, and they removed some features in the network driver in later versions (20.3, 20.4) which I don't like. That may not affect Win 8, but who knows?

Did you notice when you run the Intel driver installation program, that at one point there is a tree structured diagram that lists several features, with check boxes next to the features?

One of those features is Windows Power Shell, the farthest one down in the list that is checked by default. If that feature is left checked, I found the number of things that can be configured in the Device Manager entry for the Intel network chip is noticeably reduced.

That is apparently done so the features can be configured using the Windows Power Shell command line commands. That may be better for pro network administrators, but IMO is not good for the typical PC user, including myself. I suggest unchecking that option unless you are a pro at configuring all the obscure options.

Do you happen to be using the XFast LAN software? In the past that was software you could download from your board's download pages, but now it is available only via APP Shop. If you are using it, that may be causing your BSOD problem for some reason. Try removing it to test if that stops your problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic