ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will the AMD Ryzen 3900x work on my x370?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will the AMD Ryzen 3900x work on my x370?
    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 4:06am
Monitor this page for updates - https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Taichi/index.asp#BIOS

P5.60 is an early build. Manufacturers will soon update their info on the topic.

No need to really OC to 4.6GHz. You should get decent enough performance on stock algos.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 4:18am
The mobo will handle the power and the temps just fine.

Problem is nobody can tell if the chip and the BIOS support will allow such OC.

Zen 2 launched less than a day ago. More information will emerge vey soon.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 5:28am
Originally posted by WillyMcFly WillyMcFly wrote:

Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

The mobo will handle the power and the temps just fine.

Problem is nobody can tell if the chip and the BIOS support will allow such OC.

Zen 2 launched less than a day ago. More information will emerge vey soon.

Okay, where can I find out this info when it becomes available?
Overclocking is very important to me.

You should check popular tech outlets and forums like TPU, OC UK, Reddit, etc.

Pay attention to the OC section of this review -> https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/

They hit a temperature limit @4.0GHz with a 240mm AIO! 4.6GHz will need a custom loop or a chiller. Most likely the voltage needed for 4.6GHz running 24/7 will kill the CPU in a few months.

Max PBO on the other side shows tremendous potential, however!
kschendel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kschendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 10:05am
The built-in clock boost already gets you almost all of the capability of the chip. Assuming that the X370 will support the 3900X at all, which I don't think we know for 100% sure yet, you will be able to overclock; the question is whether it will get you anything over and above stock clock boosting.

The notion of CPU's with massive overclock capabilities always sounded weird to me. If a particular chip can manage X GHz, why not boost it that way from the start, and price that binning appropriately? seems to me that's what AMD are doing with Ryzen, more and more with each generation.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by WillyMcFly WillyMcFly wrote:

So I cannot overclock?
I have water cooled block (Corsair H100I)
I?�m assuming The bios will support OC, no reason it wouldn?�t

I'm afraid so. This corsair won't get you anywhere in this case. But a new mobo (for PB2/XFR2) and a beefier cooler should let you run this chip to its maximum, without risking damage.

BIOS should support OC, though.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 4:51pm
Manual overclocking should work fine, it will take a bit more time and effort to set up your per core clocks etc but there is no reason you couldn't get the full performance out of even a 3900x. As xhue noted, you do not have PB2/XFR2 support on X370 (or any of the 300 series). I am curious what you will be able to do with Ryzen Master though, that may be a neat workaround.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Manual overclocking should work fine, it will take a bit more time and effort to set up your per core clocks etc but there is no reason you couldn't get the full performance out of even a 3900x. As xhue noted, you do not have PB2/XFR2 support on X370 (or any of the 300 series). I am curious what you will be able to do with Ryzen Master though, that may be a neat workaround.

As TPU said, the issue with 3900X is the temp! He won't get anywhere near that speed with regular cooling. More so, even with a hyper cooler this speed may require insane voltage, which will kill the CPU shortly after.

Bottom line - no 4.6GHz for stable, 24/7 usage...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 9:55pm
Thanks xhue, I missed the bit in the op where he was looking to overclock to 4.6ghz.

4.6 on 1 or 2 cores should be doable, as I said, the overclock needs to be set properly 1 core = x, 2 cores = x/y 3 cores = y etc etc. From all the reviews I have seen and what reviewers have told me none of these will run at 4.6 on all cores, 4.3 seems to be the limit for most and that is on the new x570 boards. Possibly with exotic cooling and some insane voltages all core 4.6 may be attainable but hardly within reach of the average user.

Edited by Xaltar - 08 Jul 2019 at 9:57pm
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:24am
With some restrictions, 3700X and 3900X are running on X370 Taichi with Bios 5.6:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1627407-asrock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread-526.html
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic