ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock, max temperature for X570 Chipset?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackcolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock, max temperature for X570 Chipset?
    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 3:07pm
Can any Asrock representative confirm the max temperature for the X570 chipset? You don't reply on a support tickets, nor any thread anywhere, where we ask about this. The motherboards you produce run pretty hot. Would feel better about moving my GPU back to the first PCIe slot on my Steel Legend, if I knew I was at least some 10-15C from max.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 4:05pm
I suspect AMD hasn't made that information public, I can't find an official max
operating temp figure anywhere. If that is the case then ASRock wouldn't be
allowed to share that information. There are some useful articles and forum
posts I found in my quest for the info that you may find useful though:

https://youtu.be/qk3PD-4zPN0

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/questions-about-x570-chipset-temps-and-fan-speeds.18861152/

Basically, if you have not already done so you can set your chipset fan to
performance mode and that will bring temps down quite a bit. Der8auer found his
chipset topped out at 74c in his testing scenario with a wimpy little heatsink
attached to the chipset instead of the bulky active cooled one the board came
with. I have seen a few reports of mid 80s peak temps for some users. My guess
is the max temp is probably around 100c - 105c which is a fairly common max
operating temp for ICs.

I hope this helps

Edited by Xaltar - 23 Aug 2019 at 4:06pm
jackcolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackcolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 7:09pm
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have another thread here, where I state my SB temp has gone as high as 88C. I would imagine on a hot day that going even 5+ higher when stress testing, or demanding gaming. This is with the SB fan on performance.
My issue I think is that my graphics card seems to be touching(or at least super close to) the chipset heatsink, with a copper plate that gets very hot.
Idle right now with my GPU on the second slot is 70-72C. In the first slot, it may go to 80C and even slightly higher.

105C as a limit would be okay, as they I'm at least 15C from it so far, and with thermal limits of the GPU, it's unlikely I would hit that. But would be nice with a confirmation. 100C doesn't really seem that far out of reach on a really hot day with heavy prolonged load.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 11:39pm
That is getting pretty hot there, what case and fan config are you running? It
sounds to me like you don't have enough exhaust fans in your system and the GPU
heat is dumping into the case and impeding cooling on the chipset.
jackcolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackcolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 3:44am
It's a Corsair 600T, currently running with 1x 200mm in, 1x 200 mm out and a 120mm out in the back. Rest of the system is running cool enough. The SB is literally the hottest components in my rig. Right now, in about a 22-23C ambient, doing browsing and spotify:
CPU(Ryzen 7 3700X on Stock cooler): 41C
GPU(Gainward GTX 980 Ti Phoenix GS): 52C
SB: 69C

There is good cable management, and the 200 mm intake goes straight over the motherboard, with no harddrive bays or anything in front.

jackcolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackcolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:29am
Just do a follow up, it turns out it actually was my airflow. Never had issues before in this case, but I guess I should expect to adjust with a chipset like this. Shouldn't have been stubborn.

Setup is like this now:
Front: 1x200mm intake
Side, Right over gpu/chipset: 2x120mm intake
Back: 1x120mm outtake
Top: 1x200mm outtake
CPU Cooler: Stock Wraith Prism

On the standard fan curve for the added side intake, I now get 77c in stress test. Changing it up, so the fans just runs 30% all the time so I can't hear any change from before adding them, it gets to 81c. This is with moving the graphics card back to slot 1, and with lowering the SB fan curve, so it ramps from 30% at 75c to 60% at 80c, so I actually cannot hear the whine. Tested at a 25c ambient.
Asrock also replied to me, stating that 88c is within normal operating temperatures. So now I finally feel like my system isn't going to crash at any second.
AngryAdm!n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngryAdm!n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by jackcolt jackcolt wrote:

Can any Asrock representative confirm the max temperature for the X570 chipset? You don't reply on a support tickets, nor any thread anywhere, where we ask about this. The motherboards you produce run pretty hot. Would feel better about moving my GPU back to the first PCIe slot on my Steel Legend, if I knew I was at least some 10-15C from max.

Their solution was simple, they removed the SB_temp indicator in BIOS :D :D :D

I am very close to returning the board.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic