ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build problem: B450 Pro4 + Ryzen 5 3600

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boggsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build problem: B450 Pro4 + Ryzen 5 3600
    Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:12pm
Hi,
I originally posted this in the Ryzen 3000 Support sticky but I think I'll start this as a new topic and not clutter up the original thread.

New build:
ASRock B450 Pro4 BIOS ver 3.20 (out of the box)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 + AMD stock cooler
G.Skill 32GB DDR4-3000 Aegis F4-3000C16D-32GISB
PNY CS3030 500GB SSD
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Linux Mint 19.2

Problem: Getting intermittent micro stuttering/freezing of mouse cursor and delayed keyboard inputs. CPU/RAM/GPU monitor shows minimal loading < 10%

Question: Should I attempt to upgrade BIOS from current 3.20 to 3.60 in the hope that it fixes it? And if so, can I upgrade directly or do I have to do intermediate upgrades e.g. from 3.20 to 3.40 etc?

**I was just made aware of the G.Skill RAM configurator page and I now see that my GSkill modules are not on the recommended list. Could this be the cause of my problems?

cheers.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 11:52pm
Set your RAM to 2133 and see if the issue clears up. If it does then the RAM is
probably not quite stable at it's XMP. The Aegis series were designed for intel
systems, the AMD equivalent (G.Skill) is Fortis. You should still be able to get
it to work but you may need to manually enter the timings. Google search "Set up
RAM timings in Ryzen" and you should find a good number of tutorials and videos
on the subject.
Boggsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boggsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 12:17am
Thanks for your suggestion Xaltar.

Initially I just plugged and played all the modules, meaning that all the settings in the BIOS were set on AUTO. In the case of the RAM, this was autodetected and set at 2133. I noticed the micro stuttering/freezing problem as I mentioned and started fiddling about with the RAM frequency. I tried the XMP setting (3000) and all the others in between, but to be honest, I didn't notice much improvement, if any.
I'll try to fiddle around with the latency timings but I have half a mind to just return the modules and get one of the recommended ones instead.
Boggsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boggsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 3:58am
I was wondering if anyone might be able to answer my question about updating the BIOS from ver 3.20 to 3.60.

Is version 3.60 stable?
Do I have to upgrade in steps? i.e. 3.20->3.40->3.60? Or can I upgrade directly from 3.20 to 3.60?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 4:43pm
The only time you need to update incrementally is when there is a Bridge BIOS
involved. This usually happens when a new generation of CPU support is added.
This is typically signified by a major version number change; 1.xx to 2.xx etc.

For minor version changes you don't need to update to every version in between.
In fact, you want to avoid that. So going from 3.20 to 3.60 you just update
directly to 3.60. If you were on 1.XX or 2.XX then you would first need to
flash the Bridge BIOS and then directly flash from that to the latest BIOS
version.

So, to be clear, you can flash directly to 3.60 from 3.20.
Boggsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boggsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 5:44pm
Thank you Xaltar! That was as crystal as it could get!
Boggsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boggsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 3:58am
**********Update********

Just thought I do an update for anyone that might be interested.

I flashed the BIOS from 3.20 to 3.60 and nothing much changed.
The problems I first described - intermittent stuttering/micro freezing of the cursor had by this time diminished but not entirely eradicated. I cannot be sure if the flashing of the BIOS had anything to do with the improvement.
I know that this is highly improbable, but it feels like the new build was just "settling-in", almost like breaking in a new pair of shoes.
Meanwhile, the replacement G.Skill Fortis 32 GB (F4-2400C15D-32GFT)
RAM modules I ordered had arrived and I swapped out my original G.Skill Aegis.

The system has been running for several days now without a hitch (touch wood!!) except for the one time when the CPU load suddenly spiked for no apparent reason and forced me to reboot.

Even though the Fortis is DDR-2400 vs the DDR-3000 Aegis, I much prefer my system to be purring along smoothly without the occasional spasmodic jittery cursor.

Hope this helps someone out in the ether.

PS- BIOS ver 3.60 doesn't show my M.2_SSD in the Boot options menu even though it shows up in the Storage devices section. BIOS ver 3.20 did. It obviously boots from it because that's where my OS resides. Strange perhaps? I am not too bothered either way as I can boot up and everything is is alright.
soulstealer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soulstealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 5:21am
bad moon rising

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soulstealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 9:37am
ryzen dram calculator can help you find optimal settings for your configuration and thereby reduce microstuttering. be sure to set everything according to your system before calculating. in general you could try turning off special ram feature like bankgroupswap, bankgroupswapalt, mapinversion, securitfy features like data scrambling, tsme, encryption, ecc-mode and other options attached to it. generally the more features you disable, the more stable and faster your system becomes. gear down mode enabled generally helps great with stability of the ram so you can use lower timings and lower voltage when optimizing. you could also try do disable core parking in windows and / or use process lasso:

https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/
https://bitsum.com

actually core parking was already disabled via the new balanced power plan from amd. be sure you have the chipset drivers from amd or asrock installed. you could also try to disable all power saving features of the cpu in the bios like global c states, core boost, acpi / c1 states, etc. and then set a save frequency / default max core boost frequency via the ryzen master tool. you dont need to adjust the voltage settings of the cpu for this. for example ive disabled all power features on my 1700 cpu and leave voltage on auto, then use ryzen master to set the frequency to 3.6ghz on all cores. ryzen master then adjusts the voltage automatically up to a safe point. also check max safe temps, frequencies and voltages for your cpu by looking in other forums what other users have reported. again, do not temper with voltages in bios or ryzenmaster if you are unexperiences or you may damage your system permanently.

if you encounter bugs, missing features and other issues directly related to the bios, please file a bug report at https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soulstealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 9:45am
to find out what type of chips your modules are using and what timings are possible for optimization, you will have to use thyphoon burner:

http://www.softnology.biz

it can also extract the information to be used by the dram calc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic