ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Ann DVD drive issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plefebv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Ann DVD drive issues
    Posted: 12 May 2015 at 7:49pm
Hi, I'm doing a new build with ASRock Z97 Anniversary & a core i5 4690-K.
RAM is brand new Kingston HyperX Fury Red 1866.
Haven't installed the new video card yet so going off onboard video.

My SATA DVD drive isn't recognized in the BIOS most of the time.
I'll power down, plug it into a different SATA port, restart, and it will (sometimes) show up in BIOS. But, exit and let Windows boot and it'll be gone again.
Reboot into BIOS, missing.

I tried a different cable with no change. Tried various discs as well.

I have no such trouble with my SATA SSD, it is recognized every single time.

Having restarted the system over 20 times the last couple of days, I have been able to actually get anything off a DVD onto the screen once or twice.

What gives ?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 7:39am
Questions:

What version of Windows are you using? Fresh OS installation for this build? What media did you use for the OS installation, disk or USB flash drive?

UEFI/BIOS version you are using?

SATA mode is the BIOS is set to... ?

In the Storage Configuration screen in the BIOS, do you have the SATA Aggressive Link Power Management option? If so, set it to Disabled if it is enabled.

Are you using a default SATA driver or the IRST driver supplied on the board's disk or on its dowload page, Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver:13.1.0.1058?

The DVD drive is recognized in your OS but not in the UEFI/BIOS? Or is it missing in both? It does not appear in the System Browser tool in the BIOS?

Besides the SATA data cable, did you try another SATA power cable or connector?

What model is your DVD drive? New or from a previous PC? The newer Intel chipsets (8 and 9 series, such as your Z97) have support for newer SATA release standards, which aren't compatible with some older SATA devices.

What Windows Power Plan are you using? The Advanced Power Plan options have a setting to turn off drives after a period of time. Try setting it to Never.
plefebv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plefebv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 8:07am
What version of Windows are you using? Fresh OS installation for this build? What media did you use for the OS installation, disk or USB flash drive?

None yet since I can't run the DVD.

UEFI/BIOS version you are using? P1.10

SATA mode is the BIOS is set to... ? AHCI

In the Storage Configuration screen in the BIOS, do you have the SATA Aggressive Link Power Management option? If so, set it to Disabled if it is enabled.

Disabled.

Are you using a default SATA driver or the IRST driver supplied on the board's disk or on its dowload page, Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver:13.1.0.1058?

Default, since I haven't been able to load the drivers DVD.

The DVD drive is recognized in your OS but not in the UEFI/BIOS? Or is it missing in both? It does not appear in the System Browser tool in the BIOS?

See above.

Besides the SATA data cable, did you try another SATA power cable or connector?

Yes.

What model is your DVD drive? New or from a previous PC? The newer Intel chipsets (8 and 9 series, such as your Z97) have support for newer SATA release standards, which aren't compatible with some older SATA devices.

2009 Super WriteMaster Speed+ SH-S223

What Windows Power Plan are you using? The Advanced Power Plan options have a setting to turn off drives after a period of time. Try setting it to Never.

See above.

Many thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic