ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Q re Sata ports on z97 Extreme6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyDingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q re Sata ports on z97 Extreme6
    Posted: 13 May 2015 at 8:20am
Hi,
I have a question about Sata ports (my build is described below): when I tried to plug my optical drive into Sata3_1 windows couldn't see the drive (I think it didn't even show up in the uefi/bios, not really sure).  Worked fine in Sata3_A1 - is this to be expected when I'm using the ultra_m2 port and an ssd in Sata3_0, or is this a problem?
Thanks.
My build:
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (ASRock 97 Extreme6 Beta Bios 2.04)

Memory G.Skill Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage
System / boot: Samsung SM951 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Data: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer

Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)

Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Mini-PCI-Express Wi-Fi Adapter
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 12:48pm
The Ultra M.2 port on this board does not share anything with the Intel SATA III ports, so that is not the problem.

The only storage interface that uses any of the Intel SATA III ports is the SATA Express connection. Given SSDs like the SM951 (I have one too) or XP941, and any of the other PCIe type M.2 SSDs, I think SATA Express will never be used as an SSD interface.

You're not the only one having problems with their optical drive and Z97 board recently. The Intel 8 and 9 series chipsets adopted newer SATA standards that cause some SATA devices to be incompatible with their SATA ports. An example of that is any older SSDs that use the Sandforce 1200 series controller. I don't know of any specifics regarding compatibility issues with optical drives, but my guess is problems like yours are related to the changes in these chipsets.

All of the SATA3_A ports are provided by two ASMedia 1061 SATA chips. They are completely separate from the Intel SATA interface. If your optical drive works fine on the ASMedia SATA ports, great, just use them instead. You're not loosing any performance since any optical drive is a SATA I interface in speed, if it even can reach SATA I speeds.

Unfortunately, this is a time of "growing pains" for PCs. Older technology is holding back new technology, and at some point things begin to be left behind.

Question for you, do you have the Intel IRST driver installed, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver:13.1.0.1058 from your board's download page? Or do you use the native Win 8.1 AHCI driver?

FYI, the new UEFI version 2.10 for your board (I have one too) has the updates the 2.04 beta UEFI does, to allow booting from a SM951.

Speaking of the SM951, how do you like it? The Windows 8.1 installation I did on it worked perfectly the first time, no problems at all. That installation broke all my records for the fastest Windows installation I have ever seen.

Have you monitored its temperature? It can get warm, much more than any standard 2.5" SATA III SSD I have ever used.

Edited by parsec - 13 May 2015 at 12:51pm
CrazyDingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyDingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 2:44pm
Thanks parsec.
Yes, I use that IRST driver.
I've installed the 2.10 bios, thanks for the tip.
I too really like the SM951, and yes it is very impressive in this board - sweet!
I haven't really monitored its temperature but it seems to run fairly cool - thanks for the warning, I'm going to move my mini-express wifi card for another reason anyway, so I think the heat is unlikely to be a problem (there's not much else generating heat in my build, I'm not overclocking, and there is lots of room and air flow from the fans).
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 10:51pm
If you're not using a video card in the PCIE2 slot, then heat issues with the SM951 are less likely.

I have seen a review of the SM951, the version used in Lenovo laptops (apparently different firmware then other SM951's, mine has BXW2500Q), that when tested with a custom benchmark program that runs for a long time (potentially hours), it reached ~90C, and seemed to throttle itself at that temperature.

I've seen mine hit 50C running a benchmark, so it definitely runs warmer than a standard 2.5" SATA SSD. I've never used any other M.2 SSDs that had a temperature sensor, but I have heard of temperature issues with some other M.2 SSDs.

In typical use in a PC, more so in a desktop, it won't have over heating problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic