ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X470 Taichi upgrade to Ryzen 3900X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pcwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X470 Taichi upgrade to Ryzen 3900X
    Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 6:52am
Don't post much, but here's the good news: It was a piece of cake.

I built the system two years ago with 2700X CPU and two slots 1B 2B with 8Gb Team Dark Pro 3200 with 14 CLK. Corsair AIO cooler since I crack with BOINC.

Over time, I had upgraded BIOS to 3.40 to get the memory to play at rated speed with the 2700X and held there.

Yesterday my 3900X showed up from Amazon. I shut down, opened the case, cleared the thermal paste from the old chip and cooler, pulled the 2700X dropped the 3900X, reapplied the thermal paste and cooler. The added two additional 8Gb matched memory, for full four slots total 32Gb.

BOOM! Fired it up, and there was about four cycling as the BIOS read the new chip and settled on new settings. Ran like a scalded cat, with NO troubles at all. Memory all ran at rated 3200 on XMP.

The CPU temps were higher than expected, around 80C, though ... so after an hour I downloaded BIOS version 3.50 and CPU temps dropped to the low 60C range, where the 2700X while cracking the math.

I am *truly* impressed and thankful that this upgrade went as flawless as I could ask. I followed the forums a couple of year and know well just how many BIOS horror stories people post, well here ia a good one! :D

pcwolf
Man out standing in his field
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 4:18pm
Thanks for sharing PCwolf. People posting here often forget that this is a forum
where people come for help, that means you don't typically see success stories,
just angry/upset posts when people have problems. I try to reassure people that
just because the forum is filled with issues and complaints doesn't mean that
products are bad, this is just where people come to look for solutions when they
DO have problems
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic