ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Random freezes on B450 Pro4 + Ryzen 2600

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote douteiful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Random freezes on B450 Pro4 + Ryzen 2600
    Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 7:18am
Hi everyone. I just built a new rig 2 weeks ago. First I installed Win7 and I got random BSDs on pci.sys every 2-3 days.
So I installed Win10 and the same issue persisted but now it hard freezes completely instead of BSODing, so I'm assuming it's a hardware issue.
It only happens on light use (ie web browsing). While gaming it's stable. I tried disabling Global C-States in BIOS but the issue persisted.
I've never had an issue like this. I heard freezing with Ryzen was a power issue on Linux, not Windows.
I also heard the B350M Pro4 had freezing issues, could this also be the case with the B450 Pro4?
Could you help me spot the problem, or how to reproduce it? Here are the parts.

Newly bought:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (no OC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 (BIOS 3.20)
RAM: 2 x Ballistix Sport LT Red 8GB DDR4-3200 (BLS8G4D32AESEK) with XMP profile
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti XC
Chassis: NZXT H500

From old build (~7 years old working flawlessly):
SSD/HDD: Crucial SSD MX100 128GB + 2 WD Blue + 1 WD Green
PSU: Antec HCG-620M 620W Bronze

HWMonitor report: https://pastebin.com/GH7wrLeY

Thanks.
douteiful View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote douteiful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 6:24pm
Hello again, sorry for the bump, but thought I'd post an update.

It's actually not hard freezing; it's only the screen that freezes (not even the cursor moves), but the rest of the computer keeps working. I know because the music keeps playing and I still can change the songs and volume with my keyboard shortcuts.

The moment the freeze occurs a Watchdog crash dump gets saved with the error VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED and an event saying that the NVIDIA driver crashed gets logged. About 5 minutes later the OS crashes completely with the BSOD "VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR", but since the screen is frozen I don't see the BSOD; I have to analyze the minidumps later.

The errors are always the same.

So the error indicates that the GPU is freezing but the rest of the computer is not. I tried changing video drivers to no avail. Could this be caused by faulty RAM (I'm running it on XMP), or faulty motherboard or CPU? Or is it definitely a GPU problem?

Minidumps + Watchdog dumps + Windows events: https://drive.google.com/open?id=156eHP4WAldOd96dDwcK2JlAHU16tbLpH
Full memory dump (600MB): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CGC1o4FNaa4MJoHXzyOVQSHcuoz1aXaH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic