ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB 3 FRONT PANEL PORTS DO NOT WORK.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB 3 FRONT PANEL PORTS DO NOT WORK.
    Posted: 13 May 2015 at 8:56pm
I recently had an ASROCK H61M-DG3/USB3 motherboard fitted into my not so old (18 months) HP Pavilion 500-081ea PC & even though the original HP USB 3 ports are connected to my new motherboard they do not work.  All the USB settings in the BIOS are enabled & the correct USB drivers are installed in 'Device Manager' with no conflicts I still cannot use the two front USB 3 ports.

Any help to diagnose this problem would be very much appreciated, as HP are useless!Angry

ASROCK Motherboard:-

HP Motherboard:-
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 11:13pm
So you're using the HP Pavilion's USB 3.0 ports and the USB 3.0 cables provided by HP, is that right?

Sometimes PC manufactures like HP use proprietary connectors and cables in their PCs. I'm not sure that this is the situation here, but it could be.

Obviously the HP cables fit in your ASRock board. If you connect a USB 3.0 device to the USB 3.0 ports on that PC, did you check the Device Manager entries after that? You might see an error message or failure indication in the Device Manager entry.
Jeff Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 8:30pm
Thanks 'Parsac' for your answer.
I think you maybe wright about the HP cable config being proprietary.  There are no 'Device Manager' conflicts & the USB ports & cable are the original HP hardware.
Is there anything else I could try to possibly resolve this issue?  I do have 2 X USB 3 that work on the rear of my PC so it isn't such a serious problem, but it is annoying-the fact that I can't use the easy access front panel USB ports!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 1:04pm
I'm having second thoughts about proprietary cables or connections.  The USB 3.0 connector on the original HP board, a H-Joshua-H61-uATX, made by Foxconn, seems to be a standard connector, since it has the standard blue USB 3.0 color code.

http:////support.hp.com/gb-en/product/HP-Pavilion-500-000-Desktop-PC-series/5358992/model/5403158/document/c03135925/

The USB 3.0 jack on the PC case must be a standard USB 3.0 type. These jacks are usually mounted on a small circuit board mounted at the front of the case. Is there some kind of power cable that is connected to this circuit board?

What USB devices have you tried in the front ports? Do you have any USB 2.0 flash drives you can try in the front ports? Did you try connecting anything with a USB plug, like a mouse or keyboard?

The connector on the USB 3.0 cable that connects to the board has a key/slot arrangement, it must be inserted in the correct way. The plugs don't fit well given what I have seen, I've put tape on them to keep it in place.

What I suggested earlier is connecting a USB device in a front panel USB 3.0 port, and then check Device Manager. If you open the correct USB port/hub, you should see the device you connected listed.

You may be able to find an add on USB 3.0 panel that fits in a 3.5" or 5.25" opening on the front of PC cases. I have one that came with an ASRock board. Some examples here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007585%20600022847

The pins in the USB 3.0 connector used on boards are rather thin, and easily bent. You should check the connector by removing the plug and closely checking the pins. Also check the orientation on the plug, it must be inserted correctly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic