ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cant install 64bit w10 on my 32bit os

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bswayz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cant install 64bit w10 on my 32bit os
    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 3:02pm
Hi I recently changed my mobo and processor on my pc. I am having trouble changing os from 32bit to 64bit. I have tried the media creation tool with USB, iso,and everything I know of. My specs say 32 bit os/ 64 bit processor so I assume I can update it.
My new mobo is a ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
My new processor is a AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor. Someone please help
Reset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:21pm
To change from 32 bit to 64 bit you have to do a new installation. Just updating is unfortunately not enough.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Reset Reset wrote:

To change from 32 bit to 64 bit you have to do a new installation. Just updating is unfortunately not enough.

Exactly. Most people don't realize this but the 32 and 64 bit versions are actually
different operating systems, or at least different enough that they are not cross
compatible.
Reset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 9:19pm
If you reinstall, make sure that you start the boot disk (DVD/USB stick) with F11 as UEFI DVD/USB stick. This will also format the C:\ drive as GPT.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic