ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaylanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with BIOS
    Posted: 15 May 2015 at 9:43pm
We have just completed our build with ASRock X99 Extreme 6. Everything went extremely well and the PC is up and running better than expected. We loved the motherboard. (This is our 2nd ASRock board; our old 4Core Dual VSTA is still running, BTW)

Anyhow, there is only one issue I'm asking for help with. I presume there is a setting that can fix this minor problem. We are connected to the internet via cable connection. Our router is a Netgear WGT624T v3. The new PC connects just fine and the connection speed is the same as always. The problem is, when the computer shuts down, the router port light that the new PC is connected to stays orange. It behaves that way in any of the 4 ports its connected to. I'm hoping there's an easy fix in BIOS. I looked at both manuals and I really didn't know what to fiddle with.

Would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Win 7 HP 64
G.Skill R/Jaws 2666MHz 4x4
EVGA GEForce 980 AC/SC
Crucial MX100 512 GB SSD
3 TB WD Black
H110 Corsair Cooler
Corsair AX 8601
Corsair Graphite 760T with all green Bitfenixes
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 12:09pm
It is normal for mother boards currently to keep the network connection(s) operating when the PC is shutdown, as long as the PSU is on. The orange LED on your router is indicating an established network connection to your PC, usually at a lower speed then normal.

To test this, with the PC shutdown, turn off the switch on its PSU. After a few moments the LED on the router should shut off.

The network connection is maintained on mother boards in order to allow for the Wake on LAN feature to work. That is used for remote access to your PC, or other things.

Your board has two network chips, an Intel® I218V and an Qualcomm® Atheros® AR8171. You did not mention which one you are using, if not both.

If your BIOS/UEFI has an option to disable Wake On LAN, disable it, but that is probably not enough to shut off the network chip(s) when the PC is shutdown.

In Device Manager, find your networking device under Network adapters. Open its Properties and find the Power Management tab, or a similar name.

Uncheck any Wake on LAN options. Depending on the network adapter, some of these options may also be found in the Advanced tab list of options.

You may find after doing all these things that the LED on your router will remain on. Frankly, I assume that it will stay on.

When a PC is shutdown, some functions of the board remain powered on. Networking capabilities are one of those functions. The power switch on the PC case is not a mechanical switch, but an electrical switch whose operation is sensed by the board which then signals the PSU to fully turn on. The only way to fully turn off a PC is with the switch on the PSU.

What is the issue you have with the LED on your router remaining on?

RaylanG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaylanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 10:07pm
Thank you so much for your comprehensive response.

I loaded both Intel & Atheros Lan drivers from the ASRock utility disk; in Device Manager they both seem to be functioning properly.

Thanks for your suggestions with regard to testing. I did not see any option in the UEFI BIOS to disable Wake on Lan. I will look in DManager, display adapters, to see if there is such a thing.

I have no issue with the light on the router remaining  on. I was concerned that something was not working properly because other PC's do not show up on router light ports when they are shutdown. Perhaps the best thing to do is to leave well enough alone.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by RaylanG RaylanG wrote:

Thank you so much for your comprehensive response.

I loaded both Intel & Atheros Lan drivers from the ASRock utility disk; in Device Manager they both seem to be functioning properly.

Thanks for your suggestions with regard to testing. I did not see any option in the UEFI BIOS to disable Wake on Lan. I will look in DManager, display adapters, to see if there is such a thing.

I have no issue with the light on the router remaining  on. I was concerned that something was not working properly because other PC's do not show up on router light ports when they are shutdown. Perhaps the best thing to do is to leave well enough alone.

That's Network Adapters, probably just a typo on your part.

No, nothing wrong with the board, your other boards must shut off the network chips when the OS is shutdown.
RaylanG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RaylanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 7:56pm
Interestingly enough, we switched to the other ethernet port not in use and now the PC and router behave just like the other things hanging off it.

The light goes out when I turn the PC off...another thing my internet connection seems to be faster. But, that might be my imagination. When I have the chance, I'll check the speed.

Thanks for helping. It's much appreciated.

P.S. I do know the difference between the display & network adapters...it's just that my fingers didn't when I was typing .Embarrassed

Edited by RaylanG - 22 May 2015 at 8:07pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:02am
Good idea trying the other network port.

Some network chips can be completely shut off when the PC is shutdown, other can't. I considered mentioning that in my last post, but was not sure about the Atheros chip in that regard.

Thanks for the update!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic