ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > PC Modding > Project Build&Share
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

My New Computer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnyai1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My New Computer
    Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 6:51pm
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums but i'm an old-school hand with computers.  My first experience goes back to 1997 with Quake II being released which is where the passion all started... i'd love to know how many people remember the days when we went from software rendering to a 4mb 3DFX card! I still have in a box tucked away, dual voodoo2 12mb cards (the original SLI!).

Here we are 17 years later (wow, that made me feel old for a second) - and I see a good opportunity to share my passion with others. 

So my current computer I've had for a couple of months now - and to be honest from my perspective, its the best system I've built to date - its not top of the line by any means... after all, we all have budget constraints; but its responsive, its quick, it does everything i need it to do perfectly. 

Spec is as follows:

- Intel G3258 20th Anniversary Pentium CPU
- ASRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer Motherboard
- Kingston Hyper X (Red) 8gb Kit
- Gainward Geforce GTX 750 2GB
- Silicon Power 240gb SSD
- Seagate Backup Plus 1TB Portable Drive (Blue)
- Corsair H55 AIO Water Cooler
- Enermax Triathlor ECO 650w PSU
- NZXT H440 Razer Edition Case
- BenQ RL2240HE 21.5" LED Monitor
- Razer Abyssus Mouse
- Razer Deathstalker Essential Keyboard
- Razer Goliathus Extended Mousepad
- Logitech Z623 2.1 THX Speakers

I guess part of this system is remembering the old-school days of when i grew up as a kid with computers.  I remember loading replays into Quake 2 of Fatal1ty in some of his competition matches and just pondering on "how the hell did he do that?", and it was only a couple of years later that the first Razer Boomslang was released (mouseball and all!).

I never had the intention of using the water cooler, i'm a big fan of Noctua HSF's for their design & build quality - however the NH-U9B SE2 was out of stock when i turned up at the shop; the Corsair H55 was something like $5 more at the time, i bit the bullet and love it. 

Now...choosing a case... i'm convinced that there are some stoned designers out there, because how some designs are aesthetically pleasing, is beyond me... i remember when the first Lian-Li's appeared on the market, and you HAD to have one... my last computer was in a Lian Li, and the end result = dull experience to be perfectly honest... searching around, found the NZXT H440 and loved its sleek lines and minimal styling... then saw the Razer edition = HAD TO HAVE IT.

It comfortably plays Diablo 3 & Starcraft at max settings / 1920x1080, the most recent game i've played on it is Dying Light - which again, max settings plays flawlessly - who doesnt love hardcore zombies? last but not least... thanks to guys who did ioQuake3, i can play classic death-match at high-res.  To me, Q3 is still the best pure deathmatch FPS game made. 

Anyways, enough of me carrying on and reminiscing about the old days - a couple of photos below of the rig - I still blown away by the clean installation.  Did I follow a bit of a colour theme? yes i'm guilty of that. Did i go overboard with Razer gear? guilty as sin - but i love it & would not change it given a second chance. 

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 7:29pm
Nice.

Side note: I didn't know Gainward was still in business. I haven't seen anything from here for sale in the US for years. They made some killer cards back in the AGP days.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 7:32pm
Ha! Yea, right. The old days, before the internet and I had an 8 line BBS.

As Archie Bunker would say, Those were the days
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 7:35pm
Very nice build you have there and well picked out parts too. The G3258 paired with the GTX 750 and B85 gaming series board are all a perfect match. 

The only issue you will run into is with some newer AAA titles that require at least 3 threads to run without hacks. I had that issue with my own G3258 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. Luckily the game didn't live up to my expectations, again, so it wasn't a great loss sending it back to the store.
Sarnyai1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnyai1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 9:13pm
Thanks for the comments folks; Wardog - yeah Gainward still around.  The only major change that i recall over the last 12 months or so is Galaxy became Galax and started releasing SSD's as well in their product lineup.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic