ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I hope in the next update can be solved, B85M Pro3
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

I hope in the next update can be solved, B85M Pro3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikuniTensai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I hope in the next update can be solved, B85M Pro3
    Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 1:01am

Asrock Damn , I bought ASRock B85M Pro 3 & Update Bios P1.40 But why can not oc ?
whereas the previous version could oc ?Dead
No Non - z at P1.40 , I hope in the next update can be solved !, StarI happen to use G3258 processor + Windows 10 I can not OC use when I use the version P1.40, P1.30 version I could not get the windows 10 DAMNNNN !Clap SS OC TWEAKER P1.3

SS OC TWEAKER P1.4

Edited by MikuniTensai - 04 Dec 2015 at 1:15am
Asrock Read Me
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 3:27pm
Where have you been hiding, or not reading what is happening in the PC world? Confused

What I will tell you is old news now, and you will not like it... Ouch

Nothing is broken in the 1.40 BIOS. Yes it removes the non-Z OC feature. It was designed to do that. Pinch

Intel considers the Non-Z OC feature to be a violation of one of their rules. That rule is Z chipset ONLY OC.

Yes, ASRock and other mother board manufactures added the non-Z OC feature to many of their non-Z chipset boards. Intel did not like that at all.

So after a few months of the non-Z OC feature being available, Intel forced the mother board manufactures to add BIOS updates to the boards that had that feature.

That BIOS update changes the CPU microcode and turns off the non-Z OC feature permanently.

You will not be seeing an update to "fix" the non-Z OC feature. Non-Z OC is gone forever. Dead

Intel even had Microsoft create a Windows Update that also turns off the non-Z OC feature. It seems you somehow missed the Windows update that does this, but hurt yourself by updating to the 1.40 BIOS.

If you try to change back to say version 1.30, that won't change anything because it does not change the CPU microcode. That is part of the BIOS image stored in the BIOS chip.

There is a way to get non-Z OC back, by replacing the BIOS chip on the board. That is telling you more than I should.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 4:04pm
In a nutshell what Parsec is saying is that there is not legal way to have windows 10 and overclocking on a non-Z motherboard. You will either need to revert back to the BIOS that had overclocking (likely by ordering a new BIOS chip from ASRock) and install windows 8.1 or earlier or you will have to sacrifice overclocking and keep windows 10. Alternatively you can upgrade to a budget Z97 board and have the best of both worlds. There are "workarounds" out there but they are not sanctioned by ASRock, Intel or Microsoft and are unreliable at best. 

This issue is not specific to ASRock, it effected all non-Z motherboards from all manufacturers at the time windows 10 was released with an update pre-built into it that caused non-Z overclocking enabled systems to BSOD as you have likely witnessed already. Any attempts to implement non-Z overclocking again now on windows 10 will be met with a cease and desist from intel as we have seen in the past. The major sale point of Z series motherboards is their ability to overclock so naturally intel will not allow non-Z overclocking. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic