ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - OS install via USB to M.2 drive on 990FX Fatal1ty
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

OS install via USB to M.2 drive on 990FX Fatal1ty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yer_grandma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OS install via USB to M.2 drive on 990FX Fatal1ty
    Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 11:26am
New to forum and I have read about my SSD drive and this MB, but nobody that states my issue.  I have the 990FX Killer (90-MXGST0-A0UAY1Z) and a Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2. (in the M.2 slot)  The SSD is recognized in the UEFI bios.  I have created my Windows USB boot drive with Win7 OS ISO, but it does not see the SSD drive when it attempt OS installation.  The UEFI bios sees the SSD, no problem, but the Win7 OS installer just gives an error about a missing driver (assuming the M.2 SSD needs a driver for Win7 to see it?)  Anyway, I first used the Windows USB/DVD creation tool and when that failed, I used the Rufus USB drive creation tool.  Both of them create a boot drive no problem, but both also stop at the point where it would detect a hard drive, and both give the error that a driver is missing. (Because it cannot see any storage device to install the OS to.)

Is there a driver that needs to load so that Win7 can be installed.  I have no optical drive and no other hard drive or ssd or anything else is installed.

Motherboard "user guide" is completely lacking in support.  All it tells is how to install the motherboardboard into the case and some UEFI bios settings.  I messed around with several, the only thing I accomplished is to boot to a black screen and have the Bios lock up on me several times.  (load defaults and it stops locking up).

In the UEFI bios, I tried using the driver download tool, it only states that there are no drivers to down load.  I attempted to create a support email from within the UEFI bios, but that fails as well.  This is my first ever ASRock motherboard, and so far, I am not impressed at all.  I have only ever used Asus and Gigabyte prior to this.  I am hoping someone can help me.  This board came recommended by a friend.  I really don't think it is the board, but that the new hardware needs a driver to load so that the (older) OS can install to something.
Samsung support is absolutely absent, I don't think they have ever even heard of the term "driver".  The only help i have find from them is how to physically install the device into the M.2 slot, and that can be figured out by a 5 year old.
Anyone with a similar issue that solved it, please help.
Thank you.

Edited by yer_grandma - 04 Dec 2015 at 11:27am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 4:36pm
Are you hitting F11 to install, then choosing the UEFI:USB dive with your Win7 install on?
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">

Edited by wardog - 04 Dec 2015 at 4:37pm
net2paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote net2paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by yer_grandma yer_grandma wrote:

New to forum and I have read about my SSD drive and this MB, but nobody that states my issue.  I have the 990FX Killer (90-MXGST0-A0UAY1Z) and a Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2. (in the M.2 slot)  The SSD is recognized in the UEFI bios.  I have created my Windows USB boot drive with Win7 OS ISO, but it does not see the SSD drive when it attempt OS installation.  The UEFI bios sees the SSD, no problem, but the Win7 OS installer just gives an error about a missing driver (assuming the M.2 SSD needs a driver for Win7 to see it?)  Anyway, I first used the Windows USB/DVD creation tool and when that failed, I used the Rufus USB drive creation tool.  Both of them create a boot drive no problem, but both also stop at the point where it would detect a hard drive, and both give the error that a driver is missing. (Because it cannot see any storage device to install the OS to.)

Is there a driver that needs to load so that Win7 can be installed.  I have no optical drive and no other hard drive or ssd or anything else is installed.

Motherboard "user guide" is completely lacking in support.  All it tells is how to install the motherboardboard into the case and some UEFI bios settings.  I messed around with several, the only thing I accomplished is to boot to a black screen and have the Bios lock up on me several times.  (load defaults and it stops locking up).

In the UEFI bios, I tried using the driver download tool, it only states that there are no drivers to down load.  I attempted to create a support email from within the UEFI bios, but that fails as well.  This is my first ever ASRock motherboard, and so far, I am not impressed at all.  I have only ever used Asus and Gigabyte prior to this.  I am hoping someone can help me.  This board came recommended by a friend.  I really don't think it is the board, but that the new hardware needs a driver to load so that the (older) OS can install to something.
Samsung support is absolutely absent, I don't think they have ever even heard of the term "driver".  The only help i have find from them is how to physically install the device into the M.2 slot, and that can be figured out by a 5 year old.
Anyone with a similar issue that solved it, please help.
Thank you.

yer_grandma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yer_grandma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 8:43am
Wardog,

no, i do not need to do that.  I could, but doing so does the same thing, it does boot to my USB WIN 7 install, but as the install begins it just does not see any hardware (the SSD) to install to.  Its at the part where one would normally load their RAID drivers, a SCSI dick driver, etc.  It is asking for a driver so it can find the drive it can install to.

net2paul,

I have read that entire thread and followed the instructions.  The difference here is that my SSD DOES show up in UEFI bios clear as day.  When I start the WIN 7 install, the installer does not recognize the drive.  The other caveat is that the link states I "have" to use Windows 10.  I really hope this is not the case, as I have seen YouTube videos of this same setup running that drive and Win 7...but no idea if it is their boot drive.
Maybe I should just buy a regular SSD, not the M.2 SSD.  From what I have head, it is going to top out at 6Gb/sec either way.  I will see no benefit from using the M.2 port other then a much cleaner looking MB setup in my case.

Thank you both, I will continue searching for a solution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yer_grandma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 9:44am
Little update...

I created another USB boot-loader with WIN 10.  This recognizes the drive with no issues, i guess natively.  Installs, no issues.  That sucks...sorta.  Well, its good that there is nothing wrong with hardware, but it sucks if I can't find a solution to get WIN 7 installed on this drive thing.

Does anyone out there have the 990FX killer Fatal1ty MB, and a M.2 SSD, and have WIn 7 installed as the only OS?  If so, how?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 2:43pm
The only thing I can think of to suggest is downloading the "SATA Floppy Image ver:3.3.1540.13" and loading it during your win 7 installation when prompted to load additional drivers.

Edited by Xaltar - 05 Dec 2015 at 2:44pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yer_grandma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 10:06am
Thanks for all the input. I've given up and gone with Windows 10. Wish me luck.

smiles4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smiles4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 1:58am
I am having the exact same issue, but mine is actually with Windows 10, it is there clear as day in the bios but when I do the windows installer it says there is no drive. I seriously have been hitting my head against the wall. anybody have any ideas?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 3:29am
Originally posted by smiles4 smiles4 wrote:

I am having the exact same issue, but mine is actually with Windows 10, it is there clear as day in the bios but when I do the windows installer it says there is no drive. I seriously have been hitting my head against the wall. anybody have any ideas?

try using another usb port
and or a smaller 4gb 8 gb stick
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:32am
Originally posted by smiles4 smiles4 wrote:

Sorry but we need more information about which drive you are using as the OS drive. It may be the same drive, but we will be wasting everyone's time if it is something else. We've had misinformation waste our time too often, sorry to say.

Another question, which UEFI/BIOS version do you have installed in your board, again assuming the Fatal1ty 990FX Killer.

The original post in this thread did not make sense, since the OP said he was using an M.2 850 EVO, which is a SATA M.2 SSD, with Windows 7.

I can see a problem if the OP chose the "UEFI:" entry in the boot order for the Windows 7 installation media, since the Windows 7 installer has a bug with the location of the EFI boot loader. But that does NOT apply to Windows 10. That would explain the OP's issue, but not yours.

What are you using as the Windows 10 installation media? What entry in the boot order did you select for the Windows 10 installation media?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic