ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Realtek HD audio, continuous plugged in and out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Realtek HD audio, continuous plugged in and out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Realtek HD audio, continuous plugged in and out
    Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 4:50am
I have the Ivy Bridge Vision HT.  I just upgraded from W7 pro to W10 pro
Intermittently now I am getting notifications that a device was plugged and unplugged from the audio jack. When it happens it will bounce between plugged and unplugged dozens of times. Does not matter if a device is plugged into the front jack or not.  Does not seem to matter if a device is plugged into the rear panel audio jack or not 

I do not know what the Realtek HD audio control panel settings were before the upgrade.  I think we had this problem when we first got the mini-PC but I am not sure.
I think this is tied to the front panel headset jack, but I am NOT changing anything. I have stereo speakers (plus integrated sub-woofer) plugged into the green jack on the rear,
I have the most recent drivers from Realtek. R2.79, driver version 6.0.1.7541, DirectX 12.0, Audio Controller HD Audio, Audio Codec ALC898 

when the plugged message comes up there is still audio from the rear.
in the Realtek HD control panel i disabled notify on front jacks, did not fix.
Currently have changed the setting to remove the HD audio control panel from the system tray.
monitoring.

Any advice from ASRock or others would be appreciated.
This is my wife's PC and she is going to kill me if I do not resolve this ASAP.

Vision HT 321B Ivy Bridge MiniPC
Core i5-3210M, 16GB memory
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 5:57am
If on the chance it's a bad jack with uncanny timing(7>10), if you want to test this theory and you're comfortable opening it .......... well shoot ......

..... Does it even have a front panel that you can unplug to test?

Million dollar question there I guess.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 6:17am
In the Realtek HD Audio Manager you should see a folder icon just below the "Device advanced settings" text. Clicking on that should bring up the option to disable front panel jack detection. This icon exists because this is a common problem on some systems and generally this workaround fixes it. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

In the Realtek HD Audio Manager you should see a folder icon just below the "Device advanced settings" text. Clicking on that should bring up the option to disable front panel jack detection. This icon exists because this is a common problem on some systems and generally this workaround fixes it. 

Odd. Xaltar, I don't have that option on my Z77 Extreme6.

You get that nugget from Tech?

< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
BigGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 9:42am
I have the option for disable front jack, but if I disable it then when I plug in my headset, the  rear panel speakers keep working.  This is not a desired outcome. Cry
The goal of using a headset is to make the PC quiet when others are in the area, and when they are  not there I want to use my speakers.

I have disabled having the Realtek HD audio manager in the systray, which is how I think it was set with W7.  At least I do not remember having that icon in the tray before.  I think  I had this issue when the PC was new, but quite a few years ago so not sure.

It would be  nice if ASRock and RealTek worked together to diagnose the root cause.  I have seen a few other complaints of this on Tom's Hardware and other forums.

I am monitoring, as the symptom has gone away for a few days, and then come back.  Will not feel like it is resolved until the symptom is gone for at least a week.

Thanks for the advice, I am interested in any additional ideas.

Edited by BigGuy - 05 Dec 2015 at 9:43am
BigGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 9:45am
This is the ASRock Ivy Bridge Vision HT mini PC.  you can see pictures on the ASRock product pages.
I think the front jacks are soldered to the motherboard, but will have to open and verify.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 2:07pm
I had the same problem on one of my older systems. All the digging and testing I did resulted in nothing. It seems to be one of those gremlin type faults that does not appear to be common to any one particular board or config. I "resolved" the issue using the method I described and simply turned off the powered speakers when a headset was connected. I checked solder points, replaced the front panel with a bay mounted one, tried every driver available for my system and nothing worked. Even BIOS updates did nothing. Just like the OP describes, the problem was intermittent and would seem to clear up for a while, usually after uninstalling then reinstalling the latest drivers but then would come back in a week or so. It is a very annoying issue because every time it detects and then disconnects it tabs you out of any media you may be watching as well as makes that irritating sound of a device being connected.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 11:18pm
Me - Knocking on wood
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic