ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unable to use XMP Phantom Gaming 4, 3600 mhz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to use XMP Phantom Gaming 4, 3600 mhz
    Posted: 08 May 2020 at 1:54am
Hello,

Initially, when I tried to enable XMP and restarted the computer, the system wouldn't post and be stuck with 2 red lights on the MOBO. Read somewhere that updating the UEFI might help with stability, so I updated to the currently latest UEFI found on the motherboards support page. The update was successful, so I tried again.

This time the computer was slightly unhappy, but co-operated in the end and posted just fine. I played some games, did my stuff, and shut down my computer to go do some groceries. However, when I came back, the MOBO did a couple of reboots before posting and ALL of the UEFI settings were back to defaults again.

MB: Phantom Gaming 4
UEFI 2.60
Memory: G.Skill Trident Neo 3600 MHz 2x8 GB placed on A2 and B2 slots.
CPU AMD Ryzen 3900X
GPU ROG 2080 Super
Memory stuck on Auto 2133 MHz
Hazunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 2:02am
Inclusion: Phantom Gaming 4 X570 to be precise
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 2:06am
simple answer

the settings in particular the ram timings are unstable

ths manifests itself more on a cold boot and fails its memory training

hence boot loops and bios reset to defaults

you need to loosen the ram timings
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Synapse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synapse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:40am
Also verify that the memory voltage is set properly in UEFI. The JEDEC spec is 1.2v, but overclocked kits work at 1.35v or higher.
And the word is not all Ryzen 3000 samples are able to work stably at 1800 MHz Infinity Fabric which will be set with 3600 MT/s XMP, so you might need to manually lower the frequency to 1733 (3466 MT/s memory) or lower. This is really negligible performance hit, no big deal.
Hazunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hazunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 2:32pm
Enabled XMP and manually selected 3400 MHz and the system posted just fine. The voltage was always set to 1.35 V on the front page. I have no knowledge of this JEDEC thing.

As this is my first self built system ever, I didn't feel safe going into the timings and mess with those too much so I opted for the slightly slower speed and slightly tighter timings, which was so much easier to do right now in my opinion.

Thank you kindly for your insight and tips.
I would have just left it at auto if not for you guys.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 6:56pm
You came to the right place, we have a fantastic community here that go above and
beyond to help.

JEDEC is the RAM standard that all RAM manufacturers are required to support.
JEDEC = stock RAM frequency for the given RAM type (DDR4, DDR3 etc)

All RAM has at least one JEDEC profile that is required to be functional at the
RAM's official voltage spec, 1.2v for DDR4. Most RAM have multiple JEDEC profiles
with DDR4 they are commonly 2133, 2400 and 2666 with each one representing
generational improvements in CPU integrated memory controllers (IMC). Anything
that is not a JEDEC profile is an overclock. XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) is
much like a JEDEC profile except it contains a proven stable overclock by the
RAM 3rd party manufacturer (Corsair, GSkill, ADATA, etc). To do this the RAM
manufacturer needs to test the RAM on a multitude of systems to ensure stability.

The problem is that new platforms come out after these kits are launched and
compatibility with them is not guaranteed. On top of that, not all CPU IMCs are
created equal, some are simply weaker than others, even within the same batch
of a particular model of CPU. The CPU manufacturer is only required to ensure
the CPU is stable at it's rated JEDEC settings so you can see how RAM speeds
can be problematic to us, the end users.

I hope this info is helpful to you, enjoy your build
Nova675 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nova675 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 7:20pm
I stumbled across this with a similar issue. I have a similar build with the same board. And found out there are no G.Skill 3600mhz kits on the G.Skill QVL for this board even though the memory description says it was made for AMD 3000 and X570 chipsets. Was a bit frustrated.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080S (Super) EVGA XC Hybrid
SSD: Adata SX8100NP 1TB
RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600 C16 2x16GB
MBD: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

Everything would boot but whenever I ran UserBenchmarks I would get low scores for the memory, down in the 25th percentile even with the XMP profile in BIOS activated and memory in the A2 and B2 slots. So I tried to manually enter in the clock to 3600mhz, 1.35v and 1800mhz for the Infinity fabric, the same settings as in the XMP profile and what do you know it worked. Gave average or above average scores. Played with the clock a bit more and settled on 3733 clock, 1.35v and 1867 Infinity.

Mind you I am not an over clocker wiz by any means and this was just what I came up with after looking through forums for hours so don't know if it will work for everyone or is "optimal" settings but I am happy it worked. But pissed that memory advertised specifically for AMD 3000 CPUs on a X570 board is not plug and play to average performance on exactly that.
Nova675 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nova675 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 7:31pm
Sorry one quick revision, no G.Skill 3600 kits under 64Gb on the QVL for this board. If you want to drop over $300 on more memory than you may ever use, go for it.
BambiJuice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BambiJuice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:59pm
Sup guys, I had this issue as well. I had 2x 16gb 3600mhz Vengeance RGB sticks where it detected at 2133mhz and I was able to bump it up to max 3133mhz. I have found a fix for me after 1 whole day of trying any of my solutions from overclocking and much more tinkering.

The fix is quite simple.

1. I had my 2x DRAM sticks in DRAM slots A1 & B1
2. Relocate the 2x DRAM sticks into slots A2 & B2 as it has more support for faster sticks in the B550 Phantom Gaming 4 Mobo unlike A1 & B1.
3. Get into Bios and put on the XMP profile & bump it up to the speed it's manufactured for (3600mhz for mine)

*If you get 2 red lights on your GPU & DRAM mobo leds after putting it in the new slots, it just means you haven't actually pushed the DRAM all the way in. I pushed it a little more and heard new clicks and it got fixed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic