ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC doesn't boot after installing M.2 SSD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC doesn't boot after installing M.2 SSD
    Posted: 15 May 2020 at 4:34am
I recently bought a Plextor PX-256M9PeG NVMe SSD. After installing it in the Ultra M.2 slot the PC won't boot. After powering it on it gives 5 beeps and nothing shows up on display. Removing the SSD makes it boot up again.

Mobo is B450 Pro, BIOS 3.90. Any help appreciated.
manpe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 1:40pm
Got it working, solution was to place the graphics card into another slot. Appreciated that not a word was said about it in the manual (only PCIE4 was mentioned being disabled by NVMe). Hopefully this post helps other poor souls battling the same issue with B450 Pro4.
yuanyasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yuanyasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:12pm
Same here. Here are what I've done to fix the issue.

Try the SSD in all the SATA ports and make sure the connection is good on both ends. also make sure your SATA power is securely and maybe try a few others coming off the PSU. Next try updating your bios if possible. If that doesn't work install windows again with only the SSD and NO HARD DRIVES OR OTHER DRIVES except the USB with windows attached. Make sure you hold down the "C" key on boot to boot from removable media for the best results.

I hope it will work!
manpe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by yuanyasmine yuanyasmine wrote:

Same here. Here are what I've done to fix the issue.

Try the SSD in all the SATA ports and make sure the connection is good on both ends. also make sure your SATA power is securely and maybe try a few others coming off the PSU. Next try updating your bios if possible. If that doesn't work install windows again with only the SSD and NO HARD DRIVES OR OTHER DRIVES except the USB with windows attached. Make sure you hold down the "C" key on boot to boot from removable media for the best results.

I hope it will work!

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to reply. I've solved the problem, see my post above yours. Also I don't have SATA SSD, it's M.2. But if the same issue occurs with SATA, then hopefully someone having the same problem finds the solution from your post.
trebory6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trebory6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 5:42am
So what if your graphics card can't be installed in another slot, are we just screwed and can't use that m.2 SATA slot?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic