ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deskmini A300: Graphic Drivers crash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deskmini A300: Graphic Drivers crash
    Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 3:58pm
Hello there,

I have tried building my first desktop using so please bare with me (it's been already two days trying to solve this issue) seems that I got stuck on making the graphic drivers work.

The whole setup is:
Asrock A300 - UEFI version 3.60
        --> I changed the cooling system for a Noctua L9a-AM4
APU: Ryzen 3 3200G (integrated GPU Vega 8)
SSD: Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD
Memory: HyperX Impact DDR4 RAM 2933MHz CL17 SODIMM 2x8GB ((HX429S17IB2K2)
SO: Windows 10 pro (mayo 2020 update)

After installing SO everything goes fine, the video is displaying 720p and the audio is working. I even manage to launch a couple of benchmark apps. However it does not last long:

If I reboot, the system goes to the lowest resolution (640x480). If I install any AMD graphics driver either from ASRock or AMD websites system crashes (either stops showing any video output) or it goes back to lowest resolution again (640x480). In my latest attempt, using latest Radeon controllers from AMD I managed to have control over video resolution and the audio working but it won't last, after rebooting it goes back to 480p.

Additionally, whenever the system crashes to 640x480 I am not able to enter into the UEFI settings pressing F2 to reinstall the SO, etc. I have to unplug and leave it for at least 30 mins to 1h (sometimes even to uninstall the drivers) so it would finally boot in 720p and allows me to reinstall SO.

I was trying to test another SO (Linux) but if windows does not work does not seem to me it will be much better.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this issue and such instability (it may be the RAM?, the SSD seems to work fine) since the hardware is well detected... I have switched the RAM cards from bay to bay and even tried booting up with just one of them and no difference...

Not an expert by it seems to be it may be the integrated GPU or the APU?

The other problem is that since this is my first build, I don't have any spare parts around so I cannot swap any of them...and before returning any of the components (bought them online) I would like to be sure which one is the one that may be failing...

Apologies for the long message and thanks a lot in advance!
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 11:26am
Dear Mike,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Regarding your case, we provide some suggestion to try.
1. Clear CMOS to load BIOS default.
Unplug the power cord and short the clear CMOS pin.
2. Re install the OS at GPT mode.
3. Install the driver from ASRock website.
https://www.asrock.com/nettop/AMD/DeskMini%20A300%20Series/index.asp#Download
4. Put your SSD to another M.2 slot to try.
5. Only install one stick memory at each slot to try.

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
mike_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 11:45pm
Hello there,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried clearing CMOS without no luck for the time being, do you have any manual or tutorial specific to the A300? The info provided in the manual is not clear enough for me and I haven't found any jumper provided to short the pins.

Regarding the remaining options I believe I have tried several of them apart from reinstalling the OS at GPT mode? Could you please elaborate this a bit further to check how this differs from how I did install the SO?

Thanks again!
Best,
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 11:21am
Dear Mike,

Please refer to the following link about A300M-STX user manual.
https://download.asrock.com/Manual/A300M-STX.pdf
Please just use a metal like paper clip to short the pins.

About GPT mode, you can check your OS is in MBR or GPT mode at disk management > disk properties > Volumes > Partition style.

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
jameswilddev2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jameswilddev2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 9:56pm
How hot does the black heatsink get? It houses power management hardware and I suspect the hot exhaust air from the L9i going through that heatsink is causing power instabilities (my machine has already killed a SODIMM).
mike_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 6:00pm
Thank you all for the suggestions!

OK, so for me to be clear:
- CMOS clear: power off the computer, unplug the cord, short the pins with a metal paper clip while pressing the on button for 3 seconds and that should make it?
- Will check as well the OS mode and the heatsink temperature but I could swear nothing was too hot (readings were below 50ÂșC) and neither the L9a was spinning in full-throttle at least in the initial tests.

I have a colleague giving it a look and he was suggesting that the fact that I was plugging to an old, cheap TV instead of a monitor could be the case for malfunction as old TVs are not well detected sometimes by the system. Hope to receive further info during today as well.

Thanks again for all your inputs!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic